To GPS or Not to GPS?

Captain

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am installing my sg9665gc v3 today. I don't know if I want to use the gps or not. I heard it might not be a good idea, can be inaccurate and maybe used against you in court. Also, I have a separate Garmin gps I can us if I want a gps. Any wisdom?

Your speed can always be determined from the video footage ( distance you can go measure with a measuring tape + the time it take to cover said distance )

So one should not worry too much about that i think.

I use the GPS in my phone running a waze like app to warn me against police speed controls ( we danes onlt have mobile ones so you need real time warnings )
So when i run into one of those i just put my car on the max speed according to the GPS in the app on the phone, and so far i have not gotten a single speeding ticket.

Those GPS do have a little lag and can some times fluctuate a MPH up or down it seem to me, bu there are also a margin so for instance out 80 KM/h highway speed, you actually need to go 85 km/h or more before you get a ticket.

..Also, I have a separate Garmin gps I can us if I want a gps. Any wisdom?
GPS in a dash cam and GPS in your Garmin are used for two entirely separate functions. In the dash cam is used to log your position/speed, in the Garmin is used to provide routine instructions - a function that's not available in a dash cam.

What he said,,,, aside for.
routine instructions
= routing instructions

Many seem to be worried about their GPS, i assume its the ones that go over the limit pretty much all the time.
And the same people you see frootage from once in a whine where a radar detector is in the footage, so me a bit strange as it to me are 2 different things, the dashcam signal im a good guy that dont want to be a victim, and the radar detector signal im a bad guy that want to get away with doing as i please.

Not that i am a blue eyed angle, i also drift over the limit once in a while, and it is rare do go much under it.
Also the waze like app i use to warn about speed traps, well mostely i just use it for the longer drives, not really needed for the 1 hour drive to go visit my friend as there are only 3 places along that route where they might park their ATK cars, and as its vans its easy just be sure of speed when you approach a van stopped/ parked at those 3 places.

If you have a stealthy install of your dashcam, the chance are no one will not even notice its there, and even if you get into a accident i wouldn't tell any one about it on site, i would just submit my video proof of my innocence to my insurance company, and then its up to them to deal with the other side and what ever lies and false statements they have made.

Will have to get really nasty before something go to trial here in Denmark.

My only on camera event. ( footage was not needed but i submit to insurance anyway )

Last edited:
I am installing my sg9665gc v3 today. I don't know if I want to use the gps or not. I heard it might not be a good idea, can be inaccurate and maybe used against you in court. Also, I have a separate Garmin gps I can us if I want a gps. Any wisdom?
I appreciate the replies, but nobody is answering my question! Just like the question I asked about hardwiring.

Then i am not sure i understand you.

The GPS in the cameras are a novelty for sure, but its not like sticking a finger out of the window to gauge the weather for tomorrow, they are still pretty precise in gauging the speed.
BUT ! they are not a calibrated and gooberment approved and calibrated measuring devise like the police use, so easy to try and rule it invalid, but in that case you can as i said just go by distance between 2 hings in the footage traveled in X time, and you you can calculate the precise speed.
Off course video can be tampered with too, but that should be almost self evident for a professional.

Myself i use GPS when its a option, and i dont have the slightest apprehensions regarding that.
Even me as a tester and therefor having a row of dashcams on the top middle of my windscreen i have not yet noticed anyone actually spotting them or any of the other cameras on the 3 other sides of my car.

So yeah your own footage might be used against you in court, but they still have to find out you was recording at the time and prove that in case you dont want to hand over footage.
you can always claim at a later date that sadly that day you dident have a memory card in the camera.

There was a post in here not long ago telling about a German woman with a dashcam recording ( parking mode ) when her car was hit, and German police ruled against that as dashcams are illegal in Germany.
What she should have done is know this, then look at her footage to get the plate of the offender, then take that down on paper and go to the police and say " i walked up to my car as it happened so i took down the offenders license plate" and then keep quiet about her camera.
That way she would have been in the clear and the offender punished as he rightful should be.

So you might have a readup on the rules for your state as in the US there can be a range of local law in place, at least when it come to consent of audio being recorded, but i cant say that i have heard of US state where running a dashcam will be downright stupid to do.
We have a legal subforum in here.

The GPS part of your Garmin NAV unit can not be paired with a dashcam, so you cant really use the two together as such.
Some NAV devises do use a remote bluetooth GPS antenna, but as far as dashcams go i am not aware of any using a remote GPS antenna like that, they are always wired like the GPS antenna for the SG9665GC.

Never stop asking questions, maybe rephrase or elaborate if you dont get the correct feedback, a lot of us in here only have english as a second language (y)

Or if you are fortunate like me having English as part of 2 - 3 other languages beside the native one

Last edited:
I appreciate the replies, but nobody is answering my question! Just like the question I asked about hardwiring.

Use the GPS, police cannot charge you based off it, it’s not an approved device. Just like the signs you pass that tell you your speed, not an approved device. I know a guy that took his truck in for service and when they test drove it, he ran off he road and drove it well above the speed limit in a school zone.

Did you get your vehicle hardwired?

Are you saying I can't use my Garmin GPS and my GPS on the Street Guardian at the same time? If not, which one should I use??

You certainly can use them at the same time as they provide two entirely different functions.

No problem using a lot of GPS devises at the same time, only thing to look out for are the devises not being too close to each other as that can impact satellite reception, but we are talking inches here.

I have a GPS antenna ( for my SG9665GC ) in the top left corner of my windscreen, soon i will have a GPS antenna in the top right corner of my windscreen, and other than that i have my 7" tablet i some times use for navigation and that's wedged in under the plastic lid of the small compartment on top of my dashbord, and then i have my smartphone hanging off the driver side door glass on which i often run that waze like app.

So on good days i have 4 GPS devises going on my windscreen and dashbord, and i have even tested another GPS dashcam in the rear window so i once had a GPS antenna on the left hand C pillar of my car.

Let me guess. You drive on the left in Denmark.

For me, a GPS in a dash cam serves two important functions.
1. Ensures correct date/time (including time zone and DST)
2. Alerts me of various points of interest such as red light and speed cameras.

I have no need or desire for GPS in a cam. I also prefer the ability to fully turn off GPS, not just hide it while viewing with the data still embedded in the vid data.

As is easily seen in the varied responses, this too is one of many personal preference matters with valid reasons for any choices made. To each their own (y)

Phil

I have no need or desire for GPS in a cam. I also prefer the ability to fully turn off GPS, not just hide it while viewing with the data still embedded in the vid data.

As is easily seen in the varied responses, this too is one of many personal preference matters with valid reasons for any choices made. To each their own (y)

Phil
+1

Are you saying I can't use my Garmin GPS and my GPS on the Street Guardian at the same time? If not, which one should I use??
You can use as many GPS units as you like. They each serve a different purpose.

The dashcam GPS acts as a source for data recording in the dashcam. It can add speed and location to each frame of recorded video.

The GARMIN GPS acts as a navigation tool; providing advice on what route to take from A to B. Additionally it can also record your trail every x seconds, logging speed and location.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

No the steering wheel are on the left of the car but we drive on the right side like you Americans

What the heck are you doing that you're worried about dashcam footage being used against you? It's not inaccurate. It's GPS. I have used coordinates off my footage to reference a location precisely for police. Another benefit is that time is always 100% accurate

GPS is notoriously inaccurate for speeds which is why no rule-making body or record certification groups in the world will accept or affirm GPS speed readings. Only certified radar and measured time/distance readings are used where accuracy is paramount. Speed can be accurately extrapolated from the video and if done correctly is always certain and inarguable. For dashcam purposes location can be easily found by video alone. Someone will be investigating the scene so all that matters us that they arrive at the right place- seems that they always do even with no GPS involved. There is more than one numeric protocol (language) for GPS locations and they are not interchangeable, so if they're using another protocol your numbers can't be used by them- your info is then useless. Road names and distances are more universally understood and more generally used. Exact time is rarely relevant, and in a crash or road incident someone will be phoning it in within seconds so the call center will have that time logged. It's plenty close enough.

I can do everything needed without GPS, and with ample or better accuracy too. It's just one more thing which adds to costs and which can fail :( GPS has it's uses where it's a godsend but dashcams aren't on that list :p Use it if you wish to but know that it' not necessary at all.

Phil

Back