Transcend DP200 with ipad mini problems - help please

Very well said Dashmellow & thanks.

@jokiim - thanks but I have already been provided with a link for reliable G1W's as tested and reviewed by several reviewers here in the UK - UK warranties included - whereas Mobius do fail some recommendations as they do not even have an "onboard" screen (which seems rather "old fashioned").

well at least you are doing the wise thing and looking to buy locally, that's certainly a good idea

yeah it's certainly something I'll look at on some upcoming product, in some things we are limited by the SDK framework though

I'm not sure it's so much that manufacturers are straying from the standards but we do have some products that perhaps fall outside of what the standard was originally intended for, I'm guessing at least that some of the things we do now, multi channel streams, event folders, G-Sensor data, GPS log files, recycling files etc weren't front of mind when thinking about DSC standards, it is a defacto standard for DSC but some DVC product can work quite happily within that framework, why don't they all, not sure, the chipset comes from vendors that have a background in DSC/DVC product so would be familiar enough with the standards I would think, I'd assume there is some logical reason why some products are setup differently

Yeah, I had considered all the other required file types when I posted earlier and I'm sure that must be part of the equation. On the other hand, the 0806 sample I received creates a DCIM folder but it also creates other sub-directory folders for GPS and other data, so at least in some situations the other files types are not an obstacle to having a DCIM folder on the card.

Anyway, there are quite a few iPhones and iPads out there in the world and many owners already have a SD camera card reader. Many phone and tablet owners don't want to have to go out and buy yet another device to achieve a functionality with a single dash cam they already enjoy with their other cameras, dash cam or otherwise. Hence broaching the subject.

whereas Mobius do fail some recommendations as they do not even have an "onboard" screen (which seems rather "old fashioned").

The Mobius is hardly "old fashioned". It doesn't have a screen by design because its intended use and functionality has a different focus than most other cameras. In fact, the Mobius has spawned an entire industry of small screenless cameras with new ones being introduced by competitors all the time such as the forthcoming JooVuu-X due to hit the market very shortly.

Guess you are right Dashmellow but just seems to me (as a total newcomer to dashcams) that no screen = old fashioned based on all the reviews I have seen.

Guess you are right Dashmellow but just seems to me (as a total newcomer to dashcams) that no screen = old fashioned based on all the reviews I have seen.

The Mobius is essentially an "action camera" prized by many, especially radio control aircraft enthusiasts, for its performance, durability, reliability, versatility and small size (stealth). It happens that it is also a superb dash cam for many of the same reasons and that is why cameras in this form factor are quite popular for this purpose. Once you set-up and aim the camera, the screen isn't really needed much or at all.

I once thought that, but do not anymore. Mobius is a great camera, that is very sturdy, versatile and just plain neat. No screen is at least for me, not an issue at all.

I carry a Mobius in my pocket wherever I go and it's pretty handy now and again for a quick photo or on the fly video. I also sometimes even use it as a voice recorder without taking the lens cap off.

Yeah, I had considered all the other required file types when I posted earlier and I'm sure that must be part of the equation. On the other hand, the 0806 sample I received creates a DCIM folder but it also creates other sub-directory folders for GPS and other data, so at least in some situations the other files types are not an obstacle to having a DCIM folder on the card.

Anyway, there are quite a few iPhones and iPads out there in the world and many owners already have a SD camera card reader. Many phone and tablet owners don't want to have to go out and buy yet another device to achieve a functionality with a single dash cam they already enjoy with their other cameras, dash cam or otherwise. Hence broaching the subject.

yeah I certainly understand and appreciate the attraction of having the camera use this format, just not sure about what technical limitations or restrictions we have in place right now, something that needs to be looked at further

I doubt that there is any such thing as a source of a reliable G1W.

part of the challenge is that even if you take advice from someone else as to where they bought theirs from these things can (and quite often do) change from batch to batch and may not always match what the last guy got

G1W bought - £28 GBP - from Amazon UK (E-Prance) - work beautifully with ALL my systems INCLUDING my iPad - looks great - excellent size - warranty - includes attachments - thanks for your help and advice. G1W is the dashcam for me although I have ordered a wifi combo memory card reader and will test that when it arrives as it seems a handy "tool" to have.

G1W bought - £28 GBP - from Amazon UK (E-Prance) - work beautifully with ALL my systems INCLUDING my iPad - looks great - excellent size - warranty - includes attachments - thanks for your help and advice. G1W is the dashcam for me although I have ordered a wifi combo memory card reader and will test that when it arrives as it seems a handy "tool" to have.

You downgraded from a quality dashcam (DrivePro 200) to cheap & cheerful (G1W), because you cannot view DrivePro 200 video on your iPad.

But you've now bought a Wi-Fi card reader, which would've enabled you to view DrivePro 200 video on your iPad.

You're weird o_O

You get what you pay for as they say. The G1W has some merits (I even own one I bought to tinker with) but chances are you will need to replace it far sooner than the DrivePro 200 which would be likely to provide much more reliable, longer lasting service along with higher performance.

Well thanks guys - new to forums and new to dashcams and already been called weird ;) - such is life!!

Well thanks guys - new to forums and new to dashcams and already been called weird ;) - such is life!!

LOL... You aren't weird, just unique! Looking at the thread I think I would have just used the DP200 wifi to connect to the iPad and then used the iOS app to view/download the videos :)

Thanks bhamguy, I tried that but the wifi transfer/download is so slow that, being what in the UK is called "an old age pensioner", I felt I did not have the `time` to spare lol. I must admit I prefer your term "unique" rather than the earlier compliment by russ331 of "weird" lol :)

Back