Transcend v Nextbase

Bubbacpt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just new to this forum and I want to buy a dash cam. Currently considering the Transcend DP220, DP200 or the DP100 which my local store has on offer for £49.99. Also the Nextbase 402g, the 312gw.
Any thoughts on these devices appreciated, thanks.

if they are £49.99 for any of those, the DP220 seems to be the better one from what I have seen

Only the DP100 for £49.99, the DP220 is £129.99 and the DP200 is £89.99

DP100 is a very good cam at its usual £70(ish) price tag, so if you can get one for £50 it's a steal.

I wouldn't bother with Nextbase/DOD stuff because there's a lot of headline-grabbing numbers and although initial performance can rival the best, they just don't seem to be built as well as they should be for the price.

Even though the NB402G is twice the price of the DP100, I wouldn't hesitate to take the DP100 because I think it is better designed, better built, more reliable, albeit slightly inferior video quality.

Welcome to forum !
I really like DP200. It is reliable, simple and has good video recording. Of course form factor ( size ) is big drawback for me personally, but other than that I can recommend this model.

Welcome to forum !
I really like DP200. It is reliable, simple and has good video recording. Of course form factor ( size ) is big drawback for me personally, but other than that I can recommend this model.

Yes, I like the DP200 too, and having a capacitor should improve longevity in the harsh environment of a car baking in the sun. It's just that the DP200 has a small capacitor which might not hold the correct date/time for more than four or five days if the car isn't used. Otherwise, yes, another excellent cam for the money.

DP100 is starter cam. DP220 has some extra useless "bells and whistles" like LDWS, FCWS, but it is battery based. Myself personally prefer super caps just to be safe. I haven't used my DP200 for some time ( dusting on my shelve ), but I need to check how long it holds time / date settings. I know one of my oldest Panorama 2 was able to hold time / date for 8 month !!!
About DP200 I really like it night recording. For that price it does very good job !

Last edited:
Is it worth an extra £40 to get the DP200 (£89.99) instead of the DP100 (£49.99). Really tempted just to get the DP100. I'll go back to the store tomorrow and see if it's still available, only had one in the clearance section.

Is it worth an extra £40 to get the DP200 (£89.99) instead of the DP100 (£49.99). Really tempted just to get the DP100. I'll go back to the store tomorrow and see if it's still available, only had one in the clearance section.

As I understand this is going to be your first dascham, right ?

To my eyes, the video quality between the DP100 and DP200 isn't much different, except that the DP200 has a slightly wider field of view.
The main benefit of the DP200 is (as @niko says) the capacitor instead of a battery which should help the cam cope better with the heat inside a car in summer which puts a lot of stress on rechargeable batteries.

£40 for DP100 or £90 for DP200. I would choose the DP100.

Yes
As I understand this is going to be your first dascham, right ?
Yes Niko, this is my first dash cam. I have opted to get the DP200 and additional suction mount as I will use it in different vehicles every day being a truck driver in the UK.

I am sure both choices are good for the price you pay.

.....I have opted to get the DP200 and additional suction mount as I will use it in different vehicles every day being a truck driver in the UK......

Ah, you didn't mention that it would be used most days for prolonged periods. In which case, the DP200 is the best choice because it's unlikely to lose its settings through not being used often enough, and the capacitor should cope better with being baked in the sun while operating for several hours at a time.

Back