Transition tint instead of CPL filter

gamesfrager

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have no idea if this is a good idea or if it would even give the result I'm imagining.
But what about using this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000110730670.html instead of a CPL filter?

Since CPL filter reduce the lighting condition and thus for night recording would cause dimmer video and the camera has to compensate and that produces noise in the footage.
But those transition films should in theory be transparent at night and darker during day time. Acting kind of like an auto CPL filter???

Am I just imagining things or is there a good use case here?

Photochromic film will reduce IR, UV and visible light entering your car's cabin but it will not ameliorate reflections in your windshield. In other words it would not be a suitable replacement for a CPL because it will not polarize light waves. A polarizer lets light waves of a specific polarization pass through while blocking light waves of other polarizations (reflections).

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

You're welcome!

Thinking about this a little further, the photochromic film would be like the difference between regular (or self darkening) sunglasses and polarized sunglasses. One will only block bright sunlight and UV while the polarized sunglasses will also cut reflections and reflected road glare.

Back