Tinting front windows/windscreen (within legal limits) for dash cam security - any good?

TakeMyCash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Appreciate dash cam theft is rare, but I don't live in the best of areas. So was wondering, does having the front windows and windscreen tinted (within legal limits, which for the UK is 75% light being allowed in) actually help reduce visibility of the dash cam from the outside (especially as it would be adhesive mounted)?

Using a CPL filter with some tints can be a mess.
Any light blocked by a tint on front or rear windows you can compensate for with the EV setting in the camera, there should be a separate adjustment for both cameras..

In my car i have a 10 cm or so tall dotted area in front of the roof mounted mirror, i mount cameras on this so only the lens peek out below the dotted area, this greatly enhance stealth using wedge shaped cameras.

I think tinting is as much of a liability as an asset in this consideration, as it might draw attention to the vehicle with thieves wondering what it is that you have which you don't want seen? Dark tinting is common and doesn't attract attention in desert climates, but will attract attention in places where it's not necessary and isn't in common use such as you'll find in London.

There are several approaches to security. One is to not have anything to steal (removing the cam every time you park). Another is having a stealthy install (making the cam hard to notice from the outside). Yet another is having a car alarm (which you hope someone pays attention to if it gets activated). Still another is using a cam with remote sensors and the main unit well-hidden (this depends on the thief understanding that what they see isn't a whole cam and thus has no value to them). We'll presume having no cam isn't an option although they can't steal what you don't have.

An adjunct to all this (and perhaps equally important) is parking in the safest place. That can be achieved through location, or by always parking where a clearly more lucrative target will draw the thieves to it instead of you, or perhaps both of these. A have a small sign at the back doors of my van next to a visible cam stating that whoever is there is being recorded and it's being sent to the 'cloud' which isn't true, but serves as a deterrent if they think it's true. More than a few times I've noticed people seeing that cam and reading that sign.

Window tinting can reduce a cam's video capabilities at night considerably, and at best requires some experimentation to find the best exposure settings. I wouldn't bother with it if this was my only consideration; rather I'd recommend (worst case) an easily removable cam or (normally) a choice of cam which allows a stealthy install that makes it tough to determine it's presence.

Phil

I was not happy that the rear facing dash cam I installed in my pick-up truck was as visible as it was so I installed a 3 1/2 inch strip of very dark tint material with a strategically cut rectangular window cut into it that my camera's lens can see through. The rear window of my truck consists of two fixed glass panels with a third sliding glass panel in the middle and I only installed the tint material on the center panel. The result is that the camera is completely hidden from view to anyone outside the vehicle and I because I only used a small strip of tint material I am not violating the laws in my state that forbid the use of aftermarket tinting. Seen from the outside you only see a black band across the top of the center glass panel.

The same scheme could conceivably be employed in the front of a vehicle. One could install a tint visor strip across the top of the windscreen with a hole for the lens to peer through. Allowing the camera to see through the glass unimpeded avoids any loss of image quality, exposure issues, increased motion blur or birefringence.

tintstrip.jpg

Last edited:
Back