Trying to understand company reputation and privacy values around cloud features

troed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!
I am new to the world of dashcams. I've been doing a bunch of research on the various models. I am pretty sure the U1000 by Thinkware hits every possible box. Maybe alternatively I could get whatever the 4K equivalent by BlackVue is. I am not familiar with this, or really any other company however. It seems like BlackVue and Thinkware are the more recognized and reputable brands compared to many others in the field. Between these, which would you find more trust-worthy? One of the reasons I am asking is that many companies offer cloud features, which come with various monitoring and data-exchange implications, and I am worried about the handling of my data. Is there a company that is particularly stand-out in terms of security and user protection?

I don’t trust any company to not mishandle my data. That’s not to say I don’t use any cloud services, but I try to be picky with what I put up in the cloud and how I would feel if it was stolen or leaked online.

I'd be far more interested in the connectivity aspect and cam performance. I doubt that anyone would want to see or tamper with mega-hours of the boring nothing that most dashcam recordings are, and the sd card will have a hard copy anyway. Same as with the internet, nothing which leaves your total control is completely safe- never has been and never will be. Neither of the companies mentioned are known for deeply caring about their customers or even issues they may have; the dealer you're working with is a more important factor there. And no matter who makes or sells it, you're far more likely to encounter functioning issues with a dashcam than any security-related issues.

Phil

Hi!
I am new to the world of dashcams. I've been doing a bunch of research on the various models. I am pretty sure the U1000 by Thinkware hits every possible box. Maybe alternatively I could get whatever the 4K equivalent by BlackVue is. I am not familiar with this, or really any other company however. It seems like BlackVue and Thinkware are the more recognized and reputable brands compared to many others in the field. Between these, which would you find more trust-worthy? One of the reasons I am asking is that many companies offer cloud features, which come with various monitoring and data-exchange implications, and I am worried about the handling of my data. Is there a company that is particularly stand-out in terms of security and user protection?

Everything depends upon what you consider important features.

Blackvue Cams using Motion Detection with Buffered Parking Mode (Activated by Motion) and Event Detection (Something triggers camera) if hardwired. It then saves the moments before the incident and records live for so long after. Otherwise, the camera does not record while parked. These marked incidences are then uploaded to the cloud. Cloud Capability (as the cameras are internet connected) also allow you to view the camera footage stored in the cloud and the camera's live feed from anywhere in the world. Blackvue advertises their modem as also working as a hotspot to provide connectivity to other devices. You basically insert a carrier sim into their modem.

Not sure what all Thinkware does, but I believe it's similar.

The caveat here is that neither of the above cameras record in real time while the car is parked. Cameras like those made by Street Guardian and Viofo lack internet connectivity, but you gain the ability to record in real time when hardwired. Sure, both these cameras support Motion Detection with Buffered Parking Mode and Event detection, but these are second best to the prize. 30 Frames per second live action recording while parked. Unfortunately, without cloud access, these cameras store all footage locally. Nor will you be easily able to remote into these cameras like you would a blackvue designed around being cloud and internet connected.

Back