Wit's end trying to find rear Dashcam for 1994 Miata...

Fyrinn

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been searching for months to find a dual dash setup for my 94 Miata. I cannot find ANYTHING that I can reliably use as a proper rear cam. There is no actual place to mount it in the cab. Roof is a soft top. Rear lenses mounted to front windscreen suffer from poor visibility and overexposure. The bar behind the seats will leave the cam liable to being banged up/ crushed. Normally at this point I'd throw my hands up in frustration and mount it on the trunk somewhere but, that's not practical at all and oh, did I mention... I live in Atlanta, so crime rate and theft is high! Same with temperatures (~100 f summers). I'm very frustrated, if you can't tell

I really don't know what to get; I was hoping for a license plate-esque dashcam that I can mount in my trunk and hardwire to my car, but can't find one. My only real hope is to mount a camera that's inconspicuous and wouldn't be noticed at quick glance by thieves walking by; or a license plate mounted cam that records. Or a creative solution.

I'm very desperate, does anyone have answers or ideas??

I’ve always wondered what people with convertibles do for a rear channel dash cam.
It sounds like mounting inside the passenger compartment is not a option, so I guess that leaves you with an exterior mounting location only.

BlackboxMyCar has a few options for 2-Channel dash cams with the rear channel being a waterproof exterior camera.
I would give them a call, live chat, or email.

Does your Miata have a trunk lock “key hole”?
Maybe you could do a custom mod to relocate the lock cylinder, and mount the camera inside the trunk looking out the key hole.
Just thinking out loud. lol
-Chuck

You could consider something like the Viofo MT1 motorcycle dashcam, it has small and easily mountable lenses and is waterproof, and the recorder can be hidden away somewhere so that there is very little visible for thieves to attack, or even notice. Not the most advanced of dashcams, but it produces some quite nice FHD video. It is possible for the lenses to be mounted onto gopro mounts, so there are all sorts of options for mounting, such as roll bar mounts used for racing.

You could consider something like the Viofo MT1 motorcycle dashcam
That's exactly what came to mind to peek out the trunk lock hole. lol
But it's $270, and comes with two cameras, (where would the sencond camera go)?
That's why I said BBMC, they have a 4K front & waterproof 1080p rear for $260.

I just googled "miata rear dash cam" and found these photos.
-Chuck

Attachments

• 6 .jpg
    6 .jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 5 .png
    5 .png
    852.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 4 .png
    4 .png
    647.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 3 .jpg
    3 .jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 1 .jpg
    1 .jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2 .png
    2 .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
But it's $270, and comes with two cameras, (where would the sencond camera go)?
A Miata is an open top sports car, if it rains while you are moving then the front camera stays dry, but if you have to stop at the lights then a typical dashcam might have an issue with the rain! Also, while parked with the top down, a front camera with a quick disconnect mount is very tempting to thieves.

So the second camera goes at the front!

And if you really are going to use a standard cam for the front view, as many do, then the second cam will do a great job mounted at the front, facing backwards, showing the occupants enjoyment of a fun sports car of the sort that it is hard to get these days!

I have a Garmin Mini2 tucked between sun visor and roof, but there're probably other places it can be installed like to the side of the rear mirror, and covers both rear and sides pretty well. It's also easy to get a small 12V-5V converter module and power directly from the interior light or similar close by power. The Mini2 goes automatically into parking guard mode when there's no movement for a while where it takes less than 20mA and can then be permanently connected to 12V without draining the car battery. It's so small it should fit anywhere.

1665686684490.jpeg
36523-M-2-40837d82-6788-41b6-b865-2601e93d6e00.jpg

I’ve always wondered what people with convertibles do for a rear channel dash cam.
It sounds like mounting inside the passenger compartment is not a option, so I guess that leaves you with an exterior mounting location only.

BlackboxMyCar has a few options for 2-Channel dash cams with the rear channel being a waterproof exterior camera.
I would give them a call, live chat, or email.

Does your Miata have a trunk lock “key hole”?
Maybe you could do a custom mod to relocate the lock cylinder, and mount the camera inside the trunk looking out the key hole.
Just thinking out loud. lol
-Chuck
I did actually think of the trunk key hole before posting this, and seriously considered it, but the trunk is my only real safe spot to store things and lock it, people loooooove tearing into soft tops to steal things! So I'm keeping the trunk hole unfortunately.

My 1am brain came to a conclusion last night... I'm a welder... I can fabricate... My dad is an engineer... Street Guardian supposedly has a good waterproof rear dashcam... To heck with it, why not mount it above my license plate and fab up an anti-theft plate of some sort

... Although, should probably have back up ideas to make sure.

If the spoiler is thick enough you could place it within the spoiler. The issue with any external cam is the lens getting dirty, snow coverage, rain, etc. Always possible to have someone make a carbon fiber shroud or covering and place that at the top of the trunk. Paint it the same color as the car, and if the shroud is contoured properly it will fit in with the body. The camera would sit behind glass and protected by the shroud.

However, you car is old enough to be a classic and I don't know if you want to go drilling holes into the trunk or other surfaces such as the spoiler.
Yeah, I'm super hesitant to drill holes into her. I'm working on restoring her right now, so I only want to use holes that come already with the car.

A Miata is an open top sports car, if it rains while you are moving then the front camera stays dry, but if you have to stop at the lights then a typical dashcam might have an issue with the rain! Also, while parked with the top down, a front camera with a quick disconnect mount is very tempting to thieves.

So the second camera goes at the front!

And if you really are going to use a standard cam for the front view, as many do, then the second cam will do a great job mounted at the front, facing backwards, showing the occupants enjoyment of a fun sports car of the sort that it is hard to get these days!
Unfortunately as I stated, a rear cam mounted at the front won't get good rear coverage at all. I've seen dashcam videos from rear cams mounted in this fashion on miatas, and it's difficult to make out situations in accidents. Plus, my top slouches and my rear glass leans halfway into the car (it's old and haven't gotten a chance to replace; miraculously no cabin rain leaking) and absolutely blocks any view from a reasonable camera mount location. Even if I had a good top, I wouldn't want it on the front windscreen, simply so there's more clarity and field of view in case I get involved in an accident; every detail counts. Plus, not really a fan of cab recordings lol.

I did actually think of the trunk key hole before posting this, and seriously considered it, but the trunk is my only real safe spot to store things and lock it, people loooooove tearing into soft tops to steal things! So I'm keeping the trunk hole unfortunately.
Of course keeping a functioning trunk is a must have.
I guess I should have gave a better explanation of the trunk lock cylinder relocation "mod".

I was thinking you could relocate it to the passenger compartment.
Or you could replace it with an electronic "door popper" solonoid.
These door poppers are popular for custom car builders that want to remove door handles.
But yeah, this would be a lot of work for minimal gain.

Back