Two 32Gb SD cards, different capacities after formatting

...so when they dl it each evening
Do people typically do this?

I have an "out-of-sight-out-of-mind" relationship with my dash cam. It can loop around and overwrite as much as it wants. I only download when I've encountered something while driving that I want to review/keep/publish, etc.

p.s. I do try to perform an in-camera format on a (semi-)regular basis, maybe weekly or bi-weekly.

I don't think this will be a big issue to most dash-cam users. What most see as paramount is reliability and some cams are kind of finicky about the cards, so if what they use is working they will probably stay with it. Also most are not reaching their card's capacity in one day average driving, so when they dl it each evening they would have excess capacity from all card brands. And if it's so close that this amount matters you'd want to switch to a larger card if you could for a better safety margin.
I agree that this is a matter that the large majority of dashcam users won't worry about but I only raised the question because I recently went to the Algarve (about a 4 hour drive) to play two gigs and I could only empty the card overnight, so I used the SanDisk on the way down. As it turned out, I only used around 28GB so instead of downloading all the files, which takes longer on this card, I decided to use the Kingston on the way up.
When I arrived home and checked the card's status I found out it was almost full but the first 25 minutes of footage (where I caught some interesting bad driving) were overwritten! The return journey took longer and I lost those "precious" files.
If I did it the other way around I wouldn't have lost those 25 minutes of footage.

...so when they dl it each evening
Do people typically do this?
I do and I believe most dashcam users do too. I always start each day with an empty card.

Back