U1000 Settings & Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i've finally gotten around to fitting the U1000 to replace my ageing & failing F770.
I'll be honest, the main (or really only) reason I purchased the U1000 was due to the fact that I could use the existing hard wired cables already installed for the F770 as I really didn't want to go through all that again.

I had a couple of issues installing the camera itself mainly due to the excessively wide angle of view. I wanted the camera to be as discrete as possible and therefore wanted affix it as high to the top of the windscreen and as close to the interior rear view mirror a possible. Because of the extreme wide angle lends however, this resulted I getting the base of the rear view mirror in the image. I therefore had to move the camera a lot lower and more to one side than the F770 which now means the camera footage is more offset rather than central and the camera much more 'on show'. I was (and still am) also getting a very weird dark area in the corner of the image which I can only assume is some sort of optical aberration as when I move the camera even further to one side or (and) lower is disappears. I hoped the CP filter might get rid of this but it didn't so I've removed it.

I have the flowing questions for you all.

• Do you use the CP filter?
  • What camera setting do you all recommend?
  • I have a Cellink Neo battery back up. Do I need the battery protection enabled as I have this or can it be turned off?
  • My green Wifi light is continuously flashing even when driving and the phone is not connected to the camera. Is this normal?

With regards to the Cloud settings. Does my camera has to be linked to my phone for this to work and footage uploaded? If so how does the camera send me parking impact notifications when my phone is no where near the car and Dashcam?

Something tells me that I'll be asking a lot more questions about this new camera in the days / weeks to come. :unsure:

Thanks in advance

So i've finally gotten around to fitting the U1000 to replace my ageing & failing F770.
I'll be honest, the main (or really only) reason I purchased the U1000 was due to the fact that I could use the existing hard wired cables already installed for the F770 as I really didn't want to go through all that again.

I had a couple of issues installing the camera itself mainly due to the excessively wide angle of view. I wanted the camera to be as discrete as possible and therefore wanted affix it as high to the top of the windscreen and as close to the interior rear view mirror a possible. Because of the extreme wide angle lends however, this resulted I getting the base of the rear view mirror in the image. I therefore had to move the camera a lot lower and more to one side than the F770 which now means the camera footage is more offset rather than central and the camera much more 'on show'. I was (and still am) also getting a very weird dark area in the corner of the image which I can only assume is some sort of optical aberration as when I move the camera even further to one side or (and) lower is disappears. I hoped the CP filter might get rid of this but it didn't so I've removed it.

I have the flowing questions for you all.

• Do you use the CP filter?
  • What camera setting do you all recommend?
  • I have a Cellink Neo battery back up. Do I need the battery protection enabled as I have this or can it be turned off?
  • My green Wifi light is continuously flashing even when driving and the phone is not connected to the camera. Is this normal?

With regards to the Cloud settings. Does my camera has to be linked to my phone for this to work and footage uploaded? If so how does the camera send me parking impact notifications when my phone is no where near the car and Dashcam?

Something tells me that I'll be asking a lot more questions about this new camera in the days / weeks to come. :unsure:

Thanks in advance
Hello TheBlondeFella,

Here's the response to your questions
1. If most of your recordings are overexposed due to extreme sunlight rays and your windshield doesn't have a tint, then, we suggest installing it.
2. What specific camera settings are you referring to?
3. If you have a backup battery when your dashcam is switched to parking mode, then you need to disable it as the power supply comes from the external battery.
4. Yes, the flashing green light is normal when not connected to the wifi.

Please reach out to us via email or phone call at support@thinkware.com or 1 (844) 865-9273 so we can assist you further. Thank you!

Hello TheBlondeFella,

Here's the response to your questions
1. If most of your recordings are overexposed due to extreme sunlight rays and your windshield doesn't have a tint, then, we suggest installing it.
2. What specific camera settings are you referring to?
3. If you have a backup battery when your dashcam is switched to parking mode, then you need to disable it as the power supply comes from the external battery.
4. Yes, the flashing green light is normal when not connected to the wifi.

Please reach out to us via email or phone call at support@thinkware.com or 1 (844) 865-9273 so we can assist you further. Thank you!

Thanks for the response although they don't answer many of my questions.

1. My recordings are not overexposed and my windscreen has the level tint supplied with the car that is legal in the UK.
I have a very dark / shadow type reflection on my windscreen that changes size and shape depending on where the camera is situated. It is there all the time on all videos and is reduced slightly by the use of the CP filter. I have contacted TW customer support and supplied them with images.

2. The camera sensitivity settings etc. Iwas just interested in what other users had their cameras set too.

3. Thank you. I have changed the voltage setting

4. Thank you. The flashing green WiFi light seems to go out after a few minutes of driving so this is no longer of concern.

The camera needs to be connected to come kind of hotspot for the cloud functionality to work.
This can be either a hotspot on your phone, your car, or a standalone that you can get from your cellular carrier.

To preserved battery life, the Wifi (cloud) functions are disabled during parking mode. I don't know if turning off the battery protection will keep the WiFi connected or not, if so, that could be an option to have the camera connect to your home or office WiFi after it detects loss of connection to the phone or vehicle system.

Connecting to WiFi allows for push notifications through the app in the event of a significant impact event, as well as live view and location through the app.
The cloud functionality is fairly limited, which is nice that it doesn't chew up a lot of data uploading continuous video, and it's nice that it is a free service regardless of how many cameras you have on your account, but I would happily pay a subscription for a leveled-up system more similar to Blackvue.

Back