Thinkware U1000 WiFi does not work properly anymore

mob9221

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone I'm in a little bit of an unfortunate situation right now. I bought a thinkware u1000 dashcam from bestbuy in March 2022 and it is now out of warranty. The WiFi on it stopped working properly (constantly disconnects, sometimes connecting to it reboots the dashcam). Thinkware is asking 200 + shipping for repairing it. The dashcam seems to function fine otherwise its just unfortunate that the settings can only be changed through the app using WiFi or by unloading the SD card and changing them in a file on it. Kinda regret not getting an extended warranty when buying it. Is this an issue that anyone else has experienced? I was not expecting it to have issues this early since I thought it was very reliable.

Hi everyone I'm in a little bit of an unfortunate situation right now. I bought a thinkware u1000 dashcam from bestbuy in March 2022 and it is now out of warranty. The WiFi on it stopped working properly (constantly disconnects, sometimes connecting to it reboots the dashcam). Thinkware is asking 200 + shipping for repairing it. The dashcam seems to function fine otherwise its just unfortunate that the settings can only be changed through the app using WiFi or by unloading the SD card and changing them in a file on it. Kinda regret not getting an extended warranty when buying it. Is this an issue that anyone else has experienced? I was not expecting it to have issues this early since I thought it was very reliable.
For reference, I have tried everything. Disconnecting the rear dashcam, changing SD cards, reflashing the firmware using the SD card, using a different phone etc etc.

The U1000 has a 2 year warranty in the states so does it drop to a 1 year warranty in the great white north? My first unit was defective out of the box but I didn't know it until it overheated and shutdown at around a year old but thinkware replaced it under warranty after they discovered that I'd only had it a year. Initially they quoted me a repair fee but dropped it after seeing the purchase receipt.

I actually bought a 2nd unit with a 3 year extended warranty before I sent that one in so I'd still have a dash cam so now I have two. I really want that U3000 but am not willing to spend the money on it right now.

Back