UK Only: car battery insulation

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
I've heard that it possible to buy a "wrapper" to go around the battery (that stays on it even while driving) in the car to help stop the freezing cold getting to it in winter.

Is this right, and are there any UK suppliers?

I realised in New year's Eve that my car battery is only 45amps and at over 4 years old let me down the other morning at -3 degrees. I'm going to get a 60amp battery on Saturday so I'll have more oomph for all my dashcams too !

Last edited:
What you're probably looking for is a 'battery warmer' or 'battery blanket'. Don't know about availability in the UK but they're easy to find over here. Try a 'Google' search on either of those phrases.

What you're probably looking for is a 'battery warmer' or 'battery blanket'. Don't know about availability in the UK but they're easy to find over here. Try a 'Google' search on either of those phrases.

I found a couple but it doesn't say if they can stay on the battery permanently...

I found a couple but it doesn't say if they can stay on the battery permanently...
Those that I'm familiar with are held in place with either 'zip' ties or tape - neither of which would be convenient for temporary use, so I'd say permanent installation is the design intent.

Electric tire warmers for 1:5 scale RC cars, are installed the same way as F1 cars,,,,,,, good old Velcro. :)

I realised in New year's Eve that my car battery is only 45amps and at over 4 years old let me down the other morning at -3 degrees.
Not sure a battery warmer is worth while at UK temperatures.

In the UK, this is the time of year when failing batteries die. Warming them up in the cold might keep them going a little longer but doesn't solve the problem that they are failing, that is only solved by replacement. Car battery life is very variable, some go on for 10 years, others only last 3. Death at 4 years is not unusual for a standard cheapish car battery.

If you want a long lasting battery get an AGM battery, they will probably last ten years+. They also charge much faster for parking mode use. Of course they also cost quite a lot more.

I got a Ford Omnicraft one - recommended by the garage I go to, and the Ford centre we rang to confirm the best choice for my old Focus.

Paul.

Back