UK - White van driving / cuts cammer off at last second

I hear the universal language again.

Unmarked.
Fairly new.
Drives like a c ockwomble.

Must be pikeys.

With the van straddling two lanes at it attempted to cut it, that could have ended up really nasty as there was traffic in the outside lanes travelling at speed.

The van driver was lucky he never got an artic travelling at 60mph up his backside.

Yes the van was an idiot and the verbals aimed at him were justified but in situations like this the cam car should have been the bigger man. Rather than keep going and preventing him joining the lane, he should have let him in. For the reasons mentioned above and to ensure some innocent motorist did not end up going into the back of the idiot.

With the van straddling two lanes at it attempted to cut it, that could have ended up really nasty as there was traffic in the outside lanes travelling at speed.

The van driver was lucky he never got an artic travelling at 60mph up his backside.

Yes the van was an idiot and the verbals aimed at him were justified but in situations like this the cam car should have been the bigger man. Rather than keep going and preventing him joining the lane, he should have let him in. For the reasons mentioned above and to ensure some innocent motorist did not end up going into the back of the idiot.
devil's advocate: if anyone rear-ended the van, it would be because they were already tailgating and/or were not paying attention.

not saying the jerk in the van was OK for cutting into a place he had nowhere near enough room to cut into, because he was a first rate idiot for pulling that move. and yes, he created a hazard by stopping, partially blocking traffic. but anyone who hit him would still be at least partially at fault.

devil's advocate: if anyone rear-ended the van, it would be because they were already tailgating and/or were not paying attention.

not saying the jerk in the van was OK for cutting into a place he had nowhere near enough room to cut into, because he was a first rate idiot for pulling that move. and yes, he created a hazard by stopping, partially blocking traffic. but anyone who hit him would still be at least partially at fault.
Not sure that is entirely valid, it will be illegal to stop on this road unless in a queue and this van stopped with clear road ahead and behind. If someone was to go into the back of him then he would be at fault for stopping and considering that a lot of the traffic in that lane will be doing 70mph, him stopping and half blocking the lane is very dangerous. Yes, the drivers behind should be paying attention and should avoid an accident if they can, but the van driver would have to take most of the responsibility.

Always best to let someone like that in and remove the danger to everyone's lives, don't know if the police would be interested in that, they may be since it was genuinely dangerous, you could also ask for the name and address of the van's owner from the DVLA and send his employers the video.

again, not defending the van driver... but what if there's debris in the road you have to stop for? say someone dropped some cargo or something fell out of a truck. a perfectly valid reason to stop suddenly on a motorway. i had to do it once when a dining room table fell off the trailer in front of me. scary as hell! i couldn't go to the shoulder because when the table broke up, it scattered across my lane and the shoulder. thankfully everyone else was paying attention and the only damage was the table itself, which we quickly cleared to the shoulder and went on with our lives... but it's certainly scary standing on the freeway with cars whizzing past you.

hopefully some action can be taken against the van. hopefully it's not another case of where the driver IS the company owner and will simply laugh off any complaint you send to the "company".

I'm not so sure the cam car prevented the c ockwomble (credit to sludgeguts for the name :D) from getting in, the cam car just made a 'point'. The van in front was too close to allow the c ockwomble to complete the manoeuvre. Even if the cam car stopped, the c ockwomble would likely still be straddling both lanes. That's what I reckon anyway :)

again, not defending the van driver... but what if there's debris in the road you have to stop for? ...
If it is a UK motorway then you may stop in an emergency, your debris may be an emergency, although stopping for a crossing duck probably isn't, sensible to slow down but you can't stop, your life is more important than the ducks. Clearly the van driver did not have an emergency and so his stop was illegal.

I suspect this road is a clearway, not a motorway and for some reason that does not even have the exception for emergencies!

You MUST NOT stop or park on:
  • the carriageway or the hard shoulder of a motorway except in an emergency (see Rule 270)
  • a clearway

You would not have been allowed to clear your table on a UK motorway, except by using your phone to request it's removal.

If it is a UK motorway then you may stop in an emergency, your debris may be an emergency, although stopping for a crossing duck probably isn't, sensible to slow down but you can't stop, your life is more important than the ducks. Clearly the van driver did not have an emergency and so his stop was illegal.

I suspect this road is a clearway, not a motorway and for some reason that does not even have the exception for emergencies!

You would not have been allowed to clear your table on a UK motorway, except by using your phone to request it's removal.
never heard the term "clearway" before. so i would be expected to drive into the table (pieces) and disable my vehicle in the process, to where i'll have no choice but to stop? sorry, i'll still stop and i presume most people would, too.

Just to point out. This is on the M6 South going onto the M5. There is still roadworks here so a lane is shut causing queues in the left lane to go onto the M5. I was in the queue for about 15 minutes and the van decides he is more inportant and moves over across the solid white line. He should have carried onto the next junction and turned round.

This is the same junction as this famous video

Unmarked.
Fairly new.
Drives like a c ockwomble.

Must be pikeys.

I thought the same !

they are in newer vans now !

I once bought a van off them without realising it at the time :eek::eek:

I had a full load on and got pulled at a weighbridge in a swb transit by dvla.

was overweight a bit and they found a steering bolt missing and allowed me 2 hours to drop my load off and park the van up to get the work done and as the mot was due the following week, and it was an old van - I decided to scrap it and get another later that day.

4 hours later I went up a private drive with a rolls Royce parked in it and happy with the van I was viewing paid £5000 cash for a van that was usually up fot sale for £7500 same mileage and condition. Quick test drive was fine.

Loaded the stuff in and went off on the job happy I hadn't let customer down too much, but after driving 30 minutes the van got slower and slower and I could smell the brakes:eek::eek:

Called in to base and dave asked me where I bought it only to inform me he knew of them and my van was most likely cloned, and on checking the engine number it was conveniently corroded beyond recognition !

Bah :eek:

I phoned the seller and got the best answer I ve ever heard that amused me for years...

(irish accent)

"Dats a nice van of yours, you should clean it and look after it "

Cost me £600 for a brake servo :eek:

But

It stood me at £5600 still £1900 cheaper than same vans for sale and I ran it for 6 years with very little trouble !

And it was driven in true white van tradition !

Turned out it wasn't cloned and it was more than a fair price so maybe its a bit harsh of me to have thought "pikey" on seeing the vid.

Didn't even have the decency to flash his hazards to say thanks/sorry. (It's usually the latter nowadays, but hey, it's something.)
Shame he didn't notice the decent sized gap that built up behind you.

What about the two solid white lines that he crossed. That used to be illegal but the police don't seem to concern themselves with that offence anymore.

What about the two solid white lines that he crossed. That used to be illegal but the police don't seem to concern themselves with that offence anymore.
Quite possibly because almost everything in the highway code is purely for advice and reviewing this footage, any half decent brief would get it thrown out.
We need more dashcams & more judges with common sense & a highway code that is a book of law and not of ifs, buts and maybes.
Driving tests are supposed to represent a standard. This is the MINIMUM standard.

Back