Ultra Long Boot Time - 2

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V2
Hi guys,
I'm having the same problem as the guy in this thread https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...9665gcv2-ultra-slow-boot-on-cold-start.44846/ - very long bootup time.

I just moved the camera to my RV (bought new camera mount, GPS antenna and power cable). My plan was to move the camera between the car and RV as needed.

I never had any bootup issues with the camera in my car - the screen always comes on within 30 seconds of engine start. But once I moved the camera to the RV, now it takes over 9 minutes for the screen to display. I tried booting up with the GPS plugged in and not plugged in. Once the screen comes on it appears to work properly. I also did a fresh format (from within the cameras functions) but that didn't help. I noticed the date and time zone was wrong when I first got it booted up in the RV (but maybe because it was unplugged for a week or so). I've reset it and I'll check it again tomorrow.

The version I have is SG20181127.V4.

BTW - I'm in FL (the other poster in thread I linked to is in TX) so it's hot - but I doubt that is the issue since this camera is "designed" for hot weather, which is one of the reasons I bought it. And I've had no issues with it before the move to the RV. Maybe the jostling of it while moving it caused something inside to come loose.

So what can I do?
If I need to replace the camera I would like to get one that uses the same power/antenna connections - as I have routed those through the RV header and A-pillar - and that was the hardest part.

Thanks for your help.

I’ve seen a failing memory card cause that. Test without the card inserted. Leave GPS unplugged during all tests.

I would try a new power supply next.

Re-update firmware and factory reset to default in the menu after.

It could be the A/V out port needs to be reset as well. Insert and remove gps plug in and out of the center port several times.

If that doesn’t work I can offer a discounted main camera drop in replacement.

Thanks.
Should I "reset" the A/V port by plugging GPS in and out of center port while the camera is powered On - I assume so.

It is a "new" power supply - I just bought it along with the GPS antenna and camera mount a couple of weeks ago (in Aug 2021).
Also, in case this matters, I have the power connected to an "Ignition On" only power source. so when the ignition key is off, no power goes to the camera. The power light does come on instantaneously with the Ign key being turned on.
It's been a while since I did the installation in my car - but I sort of remember there being a "battery saver" device I installed too (another thread bellow mine reminded me of this). However I don't need to keep this powered up when the key is off (not concerned about recording bumps to the RV when I'm not there). I just want to record when I'm driving.

Yes in out while it’s on or off either is fine.

The older SG9665GC series from years back was never designed to operate in parking mode like the newer SGGCX2PRO+ is.

Send a private message or email if you’re ready for any potential replacement options.

I did the GPS plug/unplug cable "A/V port reset" a couple of times, and now it starts up with 9 seconds - so I think it's fixed.
If I have anymore trouble with it over the next week or so, I'll send you an e-mail for replacement options.
Thanks!

I spoke too soon. It's back to not booting up as fast as it should.
@ Street Guardian USA, I'll send you a PM when I get back from my RV trip.

The problem is back. For a week or two it seemed to go away (or I forgot to watch the boot uo time) - but now the slow boot up time is back.

What camera can I replace this with that uses the same USB power cable (and GPS antenna)?

I already routed all the wiring and it was a big pain, so I would like to just replace with it with the same model (if available) or a newer model that uses the same cables. The power cable and GPS antenna are new.

Thanks

I think all SG cameras use the same GPS antenna, i have even tried a blueskysea ( B2W ) on a SG camera and it worked too, and i have used a GC antenna on a GCX2 camera and i might even have used that same old GC antenna on the DC model when i tested that. ( lazy old bastard here )
The power thing is another problem, the original GC PSU are probably only geared for powering 1 camera, so if you put in a new dual camera it might be insufficient.

Thanks for the info.
I only plan to use one camera in my car and motorhome (switching the camera between vehicle) - so using the existing power supplies (already installed) won't be a problem.
I just need to know what model to replace it with.

Is the SG9665GC still being sold?
Or is there a newer replacement model that is recommended that uses the same power/gps connections?

I think the GC was replaced by the GCX2, but the GC still sell it seem, on sale now it would seem.

The GC V3 carry the older / lesser IMX 323 sensor, the GCX2pro carry the IMX 291 sensor,,,,,, and as i recall it can be upgraded with a rear camera if you like to do that later on.

Personally i would upgrade to the GCX2pro+ for the better sensor. :cool: that would be a actual upgrade VS just carrying on with same old same old.

Back