Unable to update Blackvue DR650GW-2CH

CarlF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR650GW 2CH & DOD LD470W+
As per the title.

I am unable to update my Blackvue from V1.009 to V2.002.

I know all the pro's and cons etc. However i would like to upgrade to 2.002

I have tried everything and it's not as if i don't know what i am doing as i have tried various firmwares before settling on V1.009

So far i have tried updating from:

• SD Card - using various ones including the original Blackvue Card supplied with the camera.
  • Tried formatting SD Card via Windows, SD Formatter and OS X.
  • Tried formatting the SD Card using the Blackvue viewer on Both Windows and Mac
  • From iPhone Blackvue C App
  • From iPhone Blackvue App
  • From Android Blackvue C App
  • From Android Blackvue App
All of this has failed. I am now at a loss as what else to do as the camera seems to work fine on V1.009

But i wanted to try V2.002 to see how it compared to V2.001

I have recently installed the car in my new car (Mercedes E Class). I have used the exact same install process as i did in my previous car (Mercedes C Class). Which is using a Power Magic Pro. Switched Live wire to the 12v Sockets fuse (they are not live when the key is removed from the ignition on a Mercedes) and the Perm Live wire direct to the consumer battery in the boot.

This worked no issues in my C Class so i don't think the install is the problem. I am open to any suggestion though as it is doing my nut in now! Lol.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Carl.

I recommend against V2.002. The quality is terrible compared to V1.009, if you do not have a hot spot in your car and lots of data to steam your dash cam, it's really a downgrade.

Check if maybe your camera is to old to accept V2.002. Supposedly the first batch is not compatible

The camera is only 3mths old and came with V2.00.

I downgraded to V1.009 and then upgraded to V2.001 before going back to V1.009.

So the camera age is ok.

As per the title.

I am unable to update my Blackvue from V1.009 to V2.002.

I know all the pro's and cons etc. However i would like to upgrade to 2.002

I have tried everything and it's not as if i don't know what i am doing as i have tried various firmwares before settling on V1.009

So far i have tried updating from:

• SD Card - using various ones including the original Blackvue Card supplied with the camera.
  • Tried formatting SD Card via Windows, SD Formatter and OS X.
  • Tried formatting the SD Card using the Blackvue viewer on Both Windows and Mac
  • From iPhone Blackvue C App
  • From iPhone Blackvue App
  • From Android Blackvue C App
  • From Android Blackvue App
All of this has failed. I am now at a loss as what else to do as the camera seems to work fine on V1.009

But i wanted to try V2.002 to see how it compared to V2.001

I have recently installed the car in my new car (Mercedes E Class). I have used the exact same install process as i did in my previous car (Mercedes C Class). Which is using a Power Magic Pro. Switched Live wire to the 12v Sockets fuse (they are not live when the key is removed from the ignition on a Mercedes) and the Perm Live wire direct to the consumer battery in the boot.

This worked no issues in my C Class so i don't think the install is the problem. I am open to any suggestion though as it is doing my nut in now! Lol.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Carl.
I updated to 2.002 last week without any problems (updating). I simply downloaded to my PC, copied the whole folder to the sim card and put it back in the camera. You also need to download the cloud app. However, since the update, "Blackvue is now closing down" happens regularly, and it then restarts sometimes within a minute, sometimes after about ten miles. I also can't find a way to change the length of the video clips - they are all 1 minute long. I would give it a miss until it's sorted out.

One minute clips is the new normal for the cloud feature. As to your "Blackvue is now closing down" problem.. check for loose connections or bad ground

One minute clips is the new normal for the cloud feature. As to your "Blackvue is now closing down" problem.. check for loose connections or bad ground
Thanks Ralph. Unfortunately I don't have the cloud feature as my camera is too old. I was advised by the UK Distributer to update to the latest 2.002, and had to download the cloud app to get it to work properly. Then the "Blackvue is closing down" started.

Interesting.. With an older DR650 that can not use the cloud feature you can.. install.. the software updates that are made for the cloud feature. I would have thought there would be some sort of check to prevent loading incompatible software. Perhaps.. you are being given bad advice by using version 2.002.
There seems to be no warning about the issue at http://www.blackvue.com/blackvue-over-the-cloud/#compatibility

Last edited:

The website does mention this though

BlackVue Over the Cloud works with the DR650GW Series models manufactured after April 2015. To check if your model is compatible with the service and receive your Cloud security code, follow the next steps.

1. You will need a photo of the product’s serial number and a screenshot of the default SSID, which shows the unit’s MAC address.

2. Serial number: take a photo of the serial number sticker on your product or on the product’s packaging.

3. MAC address: the default SSID of your BlackVue contains its MAC address. In case you changed the SSID, please update the firmware of your BlackVue to the latest version. This will reinitialize the SSID.

It does suck though because I wanted to give the cloud setup a try but I purchased mine in Dec 2014 so mine isn't compatible.

Interesting.. With an older DR650 that can not use the cloud feature you can.. install.. the software updates that are made for the cloud feature. I would have thought there would be some sort of check to prevent loading incompatible software. Perhaps.. you are being given bad advice by using version 2.002.
There seems to be no warning about the issue at http://www.blackvue.com/blackvue-over-the-cloud/#compatibility
Wouldn't be at all surprised Ralph. I had to install the cloud app to get the wifi connection. My camera was away for 4 months to be repaired and I got it back two weeks ago. It's gone back again for the same fault.

The new update works on cameras without the cloud functionality.

Don't worry those that have older cameras that don't have the cloud function, you're not missing much!

The new update works on cameras without the cloud functionality.

Don't worry those that have older cameras that don't have the cloud function, you're not missing much!
With the updated firmware on an older camera do you also get the benefit of a lower bit rate and segment length limited to one minute?

"you also get the benefit of a lower bit rate" - can't wait !

With the updated firmware on an older camera do you also get the benefit of a lower bit rate and segment length limited to one minute?

Haha! Yes, I imagine they do.....

If I ever get my camera back Ralph, I'll let you know. Don't know about the bit rate, but the segments are 1 minute, and you can't change it. I don't know if it was just going to Lanark, or back to Korea. I've got to pay for this repair as it ran out of warranty during the four month it was away last time.

Morning all.

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I'm getting to the end of my tether with this now.

I have tried all sorts and numerous SD cards.

Tried updating from SD Card, iPhone, 2 different android phones and nothing works. I am just left with the blue GPS LED flashing constantly.

If I then remove the SD card, format it and re-insert. The unit initialises the SD Card and then carries on with V1.009 firmware that is already on the camera.

Really don't understand this anymore. The camera is functioning fine in every other way. I just can't seem to get it to update.

The camera came with V2.0. I downgraded to V1.009 due to GPS issues. I then upgraded to V2.001 but had sound issues. So went back to V1.009.

Now I can't update to any firmware at all.

Any help appreciated.

Managed to sort it. I re-downloaded V1.009 and that said it was upgrading when I put that in. I then tried the v2.002 and that worked.

This all started from trying to update via the Blackvue C app!

So top tip. Download on a PC and place on the SD Card from there.

That's what I said in my thread on 02 February (download to PC). Interestingly, when I received my camera back after repair from Scotland, it wasn't my camera (different Serial Number and my camera had Ver. 2.002 and the Cloud app. The camera I received back had Ver. 1.009). I contacted Pittasoft to find out when it was made and was told February 2015 (I purchased my camera in December 2014). Apparently, only cameras purchased after April 2015 could access the Cloud app, however comma they sent me the Cloud code for my February 2015 camera. Obviously I won' be using it. Looks like left/right hand syndrome. The camera is working fine now and I won't be making any complaints about the wrong camera.

Regards

John

Are there links somewhere to the older versions of the firmware?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hi

Try blackvue.com/downloads. Probable better site, http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/contact-us/downloads/

Regards

John

It's just not responding at all at this point. Doesn't do a thing when you insert a properly formatted card with unzipped firmware. Blue GPS light comes on and stays on when you power it up, but that's it. Won't upload firmware or even record now. No idea what's wrong. Is there a way to wipe the unit completely and start over with my preferred firmware?

Back