Undertaking, spray & nearly lost a door.

Some splash that m8 :)

Yeah the first video was the street version of Splash and dash.

splash-and-dash
  1. (swimming) A fifty-metre freestyle swimming event.
  2. (motor racing) A quick stop for fuel near the end of a race, so as to be able to cross the finish line without running out of fuel.
  3. (aviation) A ballooning maneuver whereby the Montgolfier balloon is lowered down to touch a body of water and lifts off again.

Some of the stupidest examples of road use are drivers getting in/out of their car. The ridiculous thing is that they ARE drivers, and should know better. And you can bet that if others did to them what they do to others, they would get in a fit of rage about it.

I get in fits of rage about that sort of thing, but I never do it to others. If I have my door open to do something, and a car approaches, I will close the door and often move myself out of the road too. My main motivation is my own safety, I'm not trusting my life to a random stranger's observational skills. But nor would I be so selfish as to block traffic.

The guy in your video was thinking "Why aren't you driving on the wrong side of the road so I can do what I want?" I don't understand that level of selfishness in an adult.

who was doing that cover of golden slumbers in the 2nd video? sounded almost like a slowed-down version of the beatles.

Gibson99 I think its Elbow they cover it in the Christmas John Lewis advert the one with the monster under the bed.

The door video. Guy could have lost his door and @Jimbo could have had a few scratches on his door. Could be worse. Numerous cyclist here have been "Doored" . Really wish other drivers and their passengers would look before opening their doors. The injury to cyclists and then the argument of taking a driving lane with a partition to protect the cyclist from cars and doors can be made if drivers don't clean up their act.

In my first IT job, my bosses daughter was doored. The driver blamed the bicyclist. Bosses daughter was hurt really bad.

It is now classified as an incident, like running a red light and not accident, but some want to change that.

edit #1 - fixed wording
edit #2 - If @Jimbo was a not observant and was a like the drivers here in Toronto, that car would be less one door.

Last edited:
Thats the problem with the spray on bicycle lanes, you need yo put those lanes on the inside of the parked cars so they act as a barrier between the two kinds of traffic, and have them elevated from the road with a curb.
But off course you still need to educate car drivers about the after all little things they need to do to coexist with cyclists, but its still a good idea to have the 2 types of traffic separated as good as you can.
Though that rise another problem cuz if you do like here cyclists are the hard hitters against the pedestrians, and cyclists here will use the sidewalk too though its not legal to do.

But cyclists should also use their brain and be careful passing a car they just seen park at the roadside, and that's the problem here and elsewhere cuz the cyclists feel entitled and the world should move around them and not the other way around.

Even here where i think we had cyclists en mass before we got cars en mass the issues still persist, but our great use of elevated bicycle paths do save a lot of pedal pushers every year i am sure.
The biggest car/cyclist problem we have here now are right turn accidents, this is being "solved" with a range of solutions, dedicated lights for cyclists so they get green before cars do and red before cars do, and right turn lane stop line getting moved back so cyclists are visible for the driver before he start his turn ( from stopped )
And we have the turn arrows for cars, cuz then they are green then the little cyclist signals are red so you can turn safe ( not factoring idiot law breakers )

In general i thing we Danes have done all we can do in regard to the motorists, but the cyclists do need to wise up as they are after all the high speed meat sacks on wheels that will feel the must hurt in any situation.
And really even if you are a fit pedalpusher, it are not that smart whizzing around in town doing 30-40 km/h on a bicycle with little or no lights and other indicating devises.

Local numbers, period 2012 - 2016.
Killed : 81
Serious hurt : 1744

And these numbers are just for intersection related accidents.

Accidents clearly spike on working days around morning and afternoon.
tidspunkt.png

Around 85% of cyclist related accidents happen in a town zone, and in 71% of those accidents the other part was a car.

Studies indicate if people used a couple of seconds more in a intersection to orient them self far fewer would get into a accident.

In total 1 in 4 accidents here have a cyclist involved.

Last edited:
Accidents clearly spike on working days around morning and afternoon.
tidspunkt.png
Where I am, there is nose to tail traffic, all day from 6am to 8pm and beyond. But when do you see all the craziest cyclists? Where those spikes in the graph are.
They're the ones commuting to work, thinking they are the elite, the superheroes saving the planet, the uber athletes, and they think they can do what they like and everyone should get out of the way. They shoot through tiny gaps with no visibility of what's ahead, they overtake on the wrong side of the road with nowhere safe and legal to go, even when there's oncoming traffic, assuming someone will open a gap for them to cut back in if necessary. They overtake at pedestrian crossings, they go past stop lines even when they do care to stop for the red lights. They skip on to the pavement if that is the only way to overtake. They cut people up without warning, they pull out to overtake stopped buses, regardless of what's beside them or what's about to overtake them in the adjacent lane. Everything they do is sickeningly selfish, dangerous and stupid.

They are the ones getting into those accidents, and I don't have a single ounce of sympathy for them.
Rant over. For now.

Edit> The above doesn't much relate to doorings though. And I have no idea why they reclassified them from accidents to incidents. Yet another example of not calling a spade a spade. An accident is an accident! An unintended collision is an accident, whether or not there is damage or injury.

Pro tip, though. Many cars have glass that you can look through, to see if there's someone who might open a door.

Last edited:
Yep in a town like our capitol it do actually make good sense to take the bicycle to and from work, but it do seem like people are too tired to drive in the morning and too tired going home in the afternoon.
But you cant say that's all accidents where the pedal pusher are to blame, Danish motorists are no way better than those elsewhere in the world so i am sure they have their say in that statistic too.
I am also sure if we Danes dident have the better tuned and longer period to set things up then we would have far more accidents here for sure, and dont for a moment think that Danish cyclists are not aggravating even if they are often separated from us motorists.

As you can see it was mayhem here too back in the day before the bicycle path.

Last edited:
I've often felt forced to "pass on the left" on motorways when I've deemed it more dangerous to remain stuck behind someone going WAY too slow in lane 2 (like the VW van).

so many people stay in lane two because they're going 2 miles an hour faster than the car that's still a MILE ahead in the distance in lane 1. EVERYONE should be keeping left unless it's absolutely necessary to move to lane two, especially when they have no intention of driving up to the speed limit, all they're doing is holding people up.

There's a lane-split that I approach every morning just after the junction I exit. I have to keep left for my exit, other vehicles need to move to lane two (again, straight after the exit) for when the carriageway splits. however, people move over to lane 2 A MILE too early, and they sit there at 50mph in a 70 limit. Legally I'm supposed to move all the way out to lane 3 since I have the room to keep at 70mph, overtake them, and move all the way back into (the empty) lane 1, for my exit a mile later....

I don't. For me (and actually everyone else apart from the lane hoggers) it's safer for me to maintain my course in my empty lane one at 70 so as not to impede anyone else who may be doing 76(ish) in lane 3, even though it means i'll pass the lane hogger on the inside

I will pass on the left - eventually. But only after I've given the idiot in the wrong lane time to move over, and to establish whether he plans to stay there for no good reason. And that there's too much traffic to allow safely crossing two lanes, overtaking, then moving back. i.e. that undertaking is safer.

One rule is "If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left"
Another rule is "stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues"
Hey! Those rules work rather nicely together, don't they? When some fool stays in the wrong lane too long it creates slow moving queues.

Staying in wrong lane at low speed => there's congestion
Congestion => You can overtake either side

So basically, by lane hogging they've created the very conditions that allow undertaking.
But there's a huge difference between passing them cautiously on the inside, and bombing through as if it's a conventional overtake.
Undertaking requires that you must be able to abort the move at a moment's notice if they start to move in.
Conventional overtake="move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in"

Last edited:
Sort of the same we have, as a motorist you must always overtake on the left ( driving on right ) but if there is congestion or something then you can pass on the left, but then its passing and not overtaking you do.

Even if there are no congestion you might pass the people in the left lane on the right if they are slower in getting up to speed.
But if some slow lane hogger is in the left lane, then you cant pass him on the right, you should signal him to move over and then pass him legally.

It is quite confusing with so many terms, and its a area of Danish traffic code i think could benefit from a overhaul.

Back