Unreliable Ignition On Recording

Tony the problem seems more common for Diesel users, since there is a need in the winter to warm the the plugs by turning the key to ACC for a few seconds first. This is the same scenario as Jim. I don't find the situation as common on my gas engine since I start without hesitation normally. I will say if you let the cam start recording (blinking red lights) in ACC it will stay on after you start, so timing is everything. It's just not a great scenario to revolve your start up around the cam, so a fix is needed.

The problem is people are powering the Mobius from power circuits that have the power cut to them when the engine is cranking over.

There is a relatively simple solution that will work in that situation:
You could try locating a different power source for the Mobius. Vehicles usually have an "ignition on" power circuit that remains "live" while the engine is cranking; other non- vital power sources are cut to maximise power to the starter motor (ie. the cigarette lighter socket loses power.)

Try connecting your Mobius to the "ignition on" circuit which remains live and it may sort your problem. ;)

It will involve hard wiring the Mobius to the "IGN on" circuit that doesn't have power cut to it. The vehicle's engine ECU power supply circuit would be the ideal place to hook into - that will definitely have power when the engine is cranking.

How about adding a startup delay to the mobius?
Its not ideal, but an option for powering up the cam 20 seconds after reciving power might work as a work around. Better to start late then not start at all aye.

How about adding a startup delay to the mobius?
Its not ideal, but an option for powering up the cam 20 seconds after reciving power might work as a work around. Better to start late then not start at all aye.

I don't believe the chipset can support something like that. It can't decide to power up 20 seconds after it has already powered up...or tried to. I believe Isoprop has already addressed this point. It needs some other hardware to delay power up until the firmware can do its thing.

Anyone know whether this problem has been, or is about to be, fixed in newer firmware? I'm looking for a minimum-size rear-window camera, and the Mobius is better in some ways than the alternatives, but reliable starting is essential.

No. Not fixed. But if it doesn't start all that needs to be done is to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in when the car is already on. Or turn off and on the car again.

I do not own a Diesel car. Or an electric car. Or a magic carpet.

BOTH my Mobius', front and rear do this phantom stop at the same exact time. I have been using Dashmellow's recommend Charge Doctor to see any changes in Voltage or Amps when the problem occurs. I will post findings soon, just need some more tests.

No. Not fixed. But if it doesn't start all that needs to be done is to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in when the car is already on. Or turn off and on the car again.
Thanks. I'm looking for a rear camera which might be out of sight, and certainly out of reach, of the driver.

Thanks. I'm looking for a rear camera which might be out of sight, and certainly out of reach, of the driver.

If I recall correctly what you posted in another thread, you intend to hardwire the camera into the rear brake light circuitry. It's understandable that you need to be able to rely on it to start recording every time the engine is started.

If you car interrupts the power supply around 5 seconds after Mobius starts recording, then you have a problem. Which can be resolved by using a delay timer which prevents Mobius from receiving any current until, say, 10 seconds after the engine has started.

You could buy a Mobius from Amazon. If it doesn't work out as you hope, then you have a good prospect of returning it for a full refund, on the basis it doesn't work as described

If I recall correctly what you posted in another thread, you intend to hardwire the camera into the rear brake light circuitry.
No, just using the brake light housing to keep the installation clean. I don't want to use anything but the designated accessory circuit for the camera.

It's understandable that you need to be able to rely on it to start recording every time the engine is started.

If you car interrupts the power supply around 5 seconds after Mobius starts recording, then you have a problem. Which can be resolved by using a delay timer which prevents Mobius from receiving any current until, say, 10 seconds after the engine has started.
That doesn't solve the problem; a delay can't look into the future to guarantee that power won't be interrupted 5 seconds later. The add-on would need a battery to make sure the power is never interrupted at the wrong time, which is getting a bit ridiculous, since the camera has a battery of its own, and there are alternatives that don't have this problem.

I think I'll get something else for my rear camera now, and check up on the Mobius later if I'm upgrading my front camera or advising friends.

That doesn't solve the problem...

I don't know where you got this notion, however, it's incorrect.

A small minority of Mobius owners experience problems if their car's ignition circuitry interrupts the Mobius power supply around five seconds after it initially receives it. This is not exclusive to Mobius... dashcams don't respond well to an interrupted power supply, & some (e.g. GuardTrak GT2S) have a delay timer option built into their Firmware.

The use of a delay timer ensures that Mobius receives no power until after the critical period has elapsed, then it will start recording automatically & continue to do so until the engine is switched off.

Most people have no problem at all, & no need of a delay timer. My Mobius has experienced around 600 engine starts, & started recording every time... no failures.

Last edited:
No, just using the brake light housing to keep the installation clean. I don't want to use anything but the designated accessory circuit for the camera.

That doesn't solve the problem; a delay can't look into the future to guarantee that power won't be interrupted 5 seconds later. The add-on would need a battery to make sure the power is never interrupted at the wrong time, which is getting a bit ridiculous, since the camera has a battery of its own, and there are alternatives that don't have this problem.

I think I'll get something else for my rear camera now, and check up on the Mobius later if I'm upgrading my front camera or advising friends.

There's been lengthy discussion about this before over in the Mobius Super Capacitor thread and as Russ points out the issue is a brief interruption in the power after you hit the ignition switch. Once your vehicle powers up it is not likely to be interrupted again. A delay circuit would simply hold off applying power until the accessory circuit is powered on steadily. One solution is to build a very simple 12V power on delay circuit like this one that can delay power for 7 to 20 seconds depending on the capacitor used or you can buy a 12V power-on delay module on eBay for a few bucks. It doesn't need a battery, it works with a capacitor.

Last edited by a moderator:

A small minority of Mobius owners experience problems if their car's ignition circuitry interrupts the Mobius power supply around five seconds after it initially receives it. This is not exclusive to Mobius... dashcams don't respond well to an interrupted power supply, & some (e.g. GuardTrak GT2S) have a delay timer option built into their Firmware.

The use of a delay timer ensures that Mobius receives no power until after the critical period has elapsed, then it will start recording automatically & continue to do so until the engine is switched off.

Most people have no problem at all, & no need of a delay timer. My Mobius has experienced around 600 engine starts, & started recording every time... no failures.
I'll second that.... I have a diesel fuelled car, which often means there's a delay between turning the key and the engine starting (once the glow plugs have warmed up sufficiently), which is all done automatically these days by the engine management system.
My front mounted Mobius is powered by a suitable USB adaptor from my cigarette lighter, with a split supply to also power my Sat Nav. The Mobius has never failed to start recording to date. The same could not be said for other Dash Cams I have tried in the past.

I got it from the first reply in this thread:
[…] you must have stable power after ~5 seconds after you initially supply power. If, for any reason, you cut the power between the ~5 sec. and ~6 sec. mark the camera will turn off.

The use of a delay timer ensures that Mobius receives no power until after the critical period has elapsed
According to Isoprop, the critical period is 5 seconds after the camera receives power. A delay timer can't hold off applying power for 5 seconds after it applies power.

The delay timer gets you past the critical 5 second period after the ignition current briefly drops out before powering up the Mobius full time.......so if the power drops out ~less than 5 seconds after you initially supply power the camera will turn off.

Last edited:
I've been using a delay timer in my car for quite a few years. I only have one power socket so use an extension with three sockets on it. The timer is spliced into the lead between the plug and multi-socket.
When I turn the ignition on, power runs through to the timer - which then begins a 10 second countdown as I wait for the glowplug light to go out. 10s is more than enough time.
When I turn the engine, power is cut to all circuits - so shutting down the timer.
Once the engine fires, I return the key to normal running position & power is again restored through the socket to the timer - which then begins the countdown. approx. 10 seconds later, the timer allows power through to the extension socket. Up to this point, nothing has got through to the cam - as far as it is concerned, power has been off the whole time (as though it wasn't plugged in).
My dashcam then starts up & power also goes to anything else plugged into the extension socket (satnav, mobile phone).
Since using this delay timer, I've not had a problem with any of my cams playing up. Pre-timer, the cams didn't know what they were doing & I'm sure this confusion lead to their early demise - certainly didn't do the cards much good?

I've been using a delay timer in my car for quite a few years. I only have one power socket so use an extension with three sockets on it. The timer is spliced into the lead between the plug and multi-socket.
When I turn the ignition on, power runs through to the timer - which then begins a 10 second countdown as I wait for the glowplug light to go out. 10s is more than enough time.
When I turn the engine, power is cut to all circuits - so shutting down the timer.
Once the engine fires, I return the key to normal running position & power is again restored through the socket to the timer - which then begins the countdown. approx. 10 seconds later, the timer allows power through to the extension socket. Up to this point, nothing has got through to the cam - as far as it is concerned, power has been off the whole time (as though it wasn't plugged in).
My dashcam then starts up & power also goes to anything else plugged into the extension socket (satnav, mobile phone).
Since using this delay timer, I've not had a problem with any of my cams playing up. Pre-timer, the cams didn't know what they were doing & I'm sure this confusion lead to their early demise - certainly didn't do the cards much good?

Exactly!

I am able to get a USB passthrough timer device from an independent PCB maker I know.

However, it's quite pricey. If we wanted to buy 10, they'd cost £35 per device.

Sludeguts - Is your delay timer for the whole car? How hard was it to fit?

hello,

forgive my poor English speaking, but I'm going to my car and then connect the device after 60 seconds or further and remains unreliable. It is therefore not the solution.

I have two of these in my truck and drive home. So you can not make the claim that it does need the delay as both of mine items are not starting every time. Maybe every other one time try.

Your statement that is sweeping is not correct then as my delaying by hand is longer that 5 seconds.

If plugging in after startup then your issues are elsewhere, perhaps your power supply/USB converter is not good

Thank you, but this one using me is said to be beest. https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0077PM3KG two are mine.

It is used in car and also truck. You suggest my car and truck too have same issue? with three of the items mobius? It purposely charges my ipad and iphone when I am not using vehicle easy.

Back