Updating my front and rear dashcams

Vortex Radar

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've been looking to update my dashcams for a while and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I just yanked my rear dashcam earlier this morning. :)

Anyways, I've been running a pair of Itronics ITB-100HD's for years front and rear and I like the stealthy black design and 1080p capabilities. The video quality and audio quality kinda suck these days, especially compared to the G1W-C that I'm running up front as well. It blows the Itronics cams out of the water in terms of video and audio quality.

I need help selecting a new dashcam and want some suggestions. Here's what I'm looking for:

Front:
The best image quality I can get, day and night
Very good audio quality
1080p30 (1440p30 is cool too, but 16:9 is important)
LCD is fine, but not necessary. Same with wifi.
64/128GB+ capacity
Black case design
Starts recording quickly
Notifies me if I don't have a memory card in the camera
GPS
Ability to disable text on screen for a clean look. Having only the time/date is good too. No custom unnecessary text though.

Rear:
1080p30
Great video quality
Compact! The smaller the better (I drive a small car and it's right smack in the middle of my view out the back)
Preferably not LCD or blinky LED's, but I can cover them with black tape
Ability to disable text on screen

I was looking at the Mobius and the Mini for rear cams. The Mobius' image quality looks a little lower than I'm wanting. There's new Mini's out now, but I'm not familiar with the newer options.

I'm willing to spend a little $$ to get the setup I want. It's important to me.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
If you like the Itronics form factor, you may be interested in two new dashcams ...

Thinkware F50 ...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/thinkware-thinkware-f50-1080p-dashcam-f50/10417882.aspx

QVIA T790 ...

http://shop.lukasdirect.com/lukas-store/qvia/t790

Thank you! I'm not fixed on the itronics formfactor by any means. I like smaller, stealthier, black cameras that don't attract attention to themselves. Square, rectangular, or whatever doesn't matter too much.

The H50, I like that it can also save information internally. I had an incident with my itronics cams and the rear one shut down and turned off so I didn't get the whole thing. Only the front one saved it. Does the H50 have a really long startup time (70 sec) like the F750? Also can you turn off all the junk text on the bottom of the screen?

As for the QVIA, I'm not very familiar with them. There doesn't seem to be as much info about the T790.

I'm not fixed on the itronics formfactor
Both are new to the market, & neither have been reviewed yet. @Tonymm has bought two of the T790 & may be willing to offer an opinion?

I think you're ok with a non GPS Dashcam for rear-facing duties, so consider the SGZC12RC ...

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Qvia is a new brand, but Lukas is heavy into it so i think its safe to say its not noobs at the helm of the qvia ship.

And the T790 is pretty new on the marked so not much info on it yet out there.

For rear and side use i find the little Mobius perfect, its about as smal as a box of tic tacs and have the lens in one end, so the footprint as seen from the outside of the car cant be smaller.

The Mobius is a older camera by now, but price / performance is still good, and its a well tested camera over the past years.

Its not the best night performer, but really even the best night performer isent that good.
For driving in a town at night with the levels of light that is to be found in such a place it do allright, but on a dark highway all you will see with any camera is what is in the headlights so there only a front camera work.

Back