Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
Urive Albatross II

albatross2_05.jpg

I still not understand what is the difference between Albatros II and their previous model Shotgun.

Even this dashcam is big, their offer also a white version. To be more visible and your car to be more exposed to thieves. I think Korea is on another planet with their stupid ideas regarding cameras size.

enjoy,
Mtz

diiference - is display. Urive Shotgun has no display

What does a dashcam need a display for? My DVD recorder did not come with a built-in TV set! And it's exactly the same situation...

mituc said:
What does a dashcam need a display for? My DVD recorder did not come with a built-in TV set! And it's exactly the same situation...
ever used your DVD recorder, set menu options etc without having a TV on to see what you're doing?

You need a TV set to use it properly and look at what you record with it, but it doesn't have to be built in and dedicated. While recording a DVD you may want to change to an actual channel.
As for a DVR, you don't change settings every 5 minutes. So you can connect it somewhere to some PC or something that has a video output, configure it, plug it back into the car and go. Embedding hardware that is going to be used very rare with the actual device just adds weight, extra price, and makes it more visible in your car increasing the possibility for a burglar to smash one of the windows and steal it with the SD card containing the evidence in it.

mituc said:
Embedding hardware that is going to be used very rare with the actual device just adds weight, extra price, and makes it more visible in your car increasing the possibility for a burglar to smash one of the windows and steal it with the SD card containing the evidence in it.

weight and cost is minimal, I don't agree with the larger touch screen units, that's pointless, a small screen for setup etc is useful without being obtrusive, it all comes down to design, a well designed unit with a display is smaller in total than some of the mount brackets that come with some cameras

DVD recorders were very rare. More were VHS recorders, I think more than VHS players.
In this thread was about a portable DVD and I don't know if ever were released portable DVD recorders.
Also the DVD are almost dead and we are buying DVD players? :roll:

enjoy,
Mtz

using built-in display you can change settings, playback your video to prove any road situation. Urive Shotgun can't playback video. Just can show real time image.

My preference with dashcams is to have a screen - even if it is minute, it is useful to be able to make sure the lens points where you want it to point and, as already said, for adjusting settings.

I've had various dashcams that didn't have a screen & they have proven to be a PITA - had to connect to my laptop as a webcam to ensure they point to the right spot.

I do like the direction some manufacturers are going - remote dvr with two small external lenses. what I really would like to see is remote dvr with screen, a couple of tiny, unobtrusive, cameras and dual SD cards - one for each camera (there seems to be a problem with faster cards not being able to write two lots of data at the same time)

sludgeguts said:
what I really would like to see is remote dvr with screen, a couple of tiny, unobtrusive, cameras and dual SD cards - one for each camera

that's pretty much something we're working on right now actually

jokiin said:
sludgeguts said:
what I really would like to see is remote dvr with screen, a couple of tiny, unobtrusive, cameras and dual SD cards - one for each camera
very interesting! Can you share some more details?

ciuvak said:
jokiin said:
sludgeguts said:
very interesting! Can you share some more details?

it's for release later this year, will post details when we're closer to release

will have a single cam version sooner and will be posting details on that in the not too distant future

Any update on this jokiin? I'm curious whether to wait or to buy a Urive Shotgun. The Albatross 2 doesn't make much sense at the screen would make more sense behind the mirror...

logrus said:
Any update on this jokiin? I'm curious whether to wait or to buy a Urive Shotgun. The Albatross 2 doesn't make much sense at the screen would make more sense behind the mirror...

we are doing tooling now, that's still not finished though so probably still two months+ before it's ready to go

Any chance you can tell us anything about design, specs, capabilities, mounting options etc?

logrus said:
Any chance you can tell us anything about design, specs, capabilities, mounting options etc?

not sure what I can write that will explain it properly, we've done some remote cam models already, the smallest one the cam is very small but I'm not entirely happy with the design, it's not good enough for the western market the way it is so looking at reworking that for the way I want it

we can do single or dual cam version, depending on which chipset we use we can do dual 1080p or 1080p front with 720p rear, cameras can be mounted anything up to 5 meters from the main unit, main unit with the functionality we need works out to be around 60% of the size of an iPhone, dual memory cards, in dual cam versions it's one card per cam, in single cam versions we can span two cards to double the recording capacity, SDXC card support on A7 models (chipsets will only be Ambarella), minimum 6 glass lenses on all models, sensors we have a few we're looking at, Aptina, Sony Exmor, Omnivision, will do a WDR version on the A7 platform, the hardware side of it is straightforward really, the mounting options is what I'm really looking to get right and is the biggest headache right now

Software wise our starting point will be as per our current model features and configuration, user selectable bitrate up to 15Mbit/sec, auto time zone etc etc, a few other features we'll add that will be supported on the newer platforms that we can't do currently, lots of stuff to come that will keep us busy for the rest of this year

The new English firmware for albatross is recently released.
U can catch this at astrobile.com.
When I looked at total operation, it supports English functions fully.
It is very satisfactory.

Hi! Please, let me know where can I download English firmware for Albatross II 7500P? I have English viewer only but Urive's site hasn't something else.

jokiin said:
logrus said:

not sure what I can write that will explain it properly, we've done some remote cam models already, the smallest one the cam is very small but I'm not entirely happy with the design, it's not good enough for the western market the way it is so looking at reworking that for the way I want it

we can do single or dual cam version, depending on which chipset we use we can do dual 1080p or 1080p front with 720p rear, cameras can be mounted anything up to 5 meters from the main unit, main unit with the functionality we need works out to be around 60% of the size of an iPhone, dual memory cards, in dual cam versions it's one card per cam, in single cam versions we can span two cards to double the recording capacity, SDXC card support on A7 models (chipsets will only be Ambarella), minimum 6 glass lenses on all models, sensors we have a few we're looking at, Aptina, Sony Exmor, Omnivision, will do a WDR version on the A7 platform, the hardware side of it is straightforward really, the mounting options is what I'm really looking to get right and is the biggest headache right now

Software wise our starting point will be as per our current model features and configuration, user selectable bitrate up to 15Mbit/sec, auto time zone etc etc, a few other features we'll add that will be supported on the newer platforms that we can't do currently, lots of stuff to come that will keep us busy for the rest of this year
Can you allow maximum card size? 128gb?
This would make it massively more appealing IMO.
I'd like to record whilst I'm asleep but would need a fair size memory card for this

Ben180 said:
Can you allow maximum card size? 128gb?
This would make it massively more appealing IMO.
I'd like to record whilst I'm asleep but would need a fair size memory card for this

our A7 model will have twin SDXC card slots so will support whatever size memory is available in the format (I think 256gb per card is the current limit) but can also support an external USB hard drive up to 2TB, I think 1TB is perhaps the practical limit in a self powered drive right now though

Back