USB-C extension with the HK4 Hardwire Kit?

MrKrabs

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm mounting a Viofo A229 Pro 2CH with *both* cameras on the rear window, and want to hardwire it to the fuse box located by the driver seat.

The HK4 Hardwire Kit is not long enough for this somewhat unusual setup, so I'm thinking of using a USB-C extension cable to connect the HK4 with the GPS mount of the A229 Pro. Will this work? @VIOFO-Support

Thank you!

While you’re waiting for your “official” answer, the short answer is no.
Just extend the Red, Yellow, Black wires with 16AWG wire, and it will function properly.

Also, Viofo released the 1 Meter “short” cable for the rear camera so you don’t have to stuff the included 6 Meter up in the headliner;

Screenshot 2024-03-25 12.26.10 AM.png

It might work if the cable is short enough and have 20awg wiring, otherwise it'll have disconnection issues.

Just extend the Red, Yellow, Black wires with 16AWG wire, and it will function properly.
I considered extending those three wires, but then I'd have to extend them a lot such that the HK4 unit can be hidden somewhere in the last pillar (the "D" pillar in an SUV).

I don't want to hide the HK4 unit by the A, B or C pillars because of the side curtain airbags. Maybe there's room for it in the headliner, I haven't tried fitting it there yet.

One advantage of extending the 12V side of the wires like you suggested is that the voltage drop due to wire resistance will be less than extending the 5V (USB) side. I guess I'll look for room in the headliner then :)

Also, Viofo released the 1 Meter “short” cable for the rear camera so you don’t have to stuff the included 6 Meter up in the headliner;
Oh yeah, good tip! I got four of these 1M cables already as I was the guy asking Viofo a week or so ago (I'm installing 4x A229 Pro 2CH).

Last edited:
One advantage of extending the 12V side of the wires like you suggested is that the voltage drop due to wire resistance will be less than extending the 5V (USB) side. I guess I'll look for room in the headliner then :)
That is the reason for needing to extend the 12V side, not the USB. The voltage drop on the USB cable across the extra connectors and extra cable is likely to be too much.

Best to use automotive cable if possible, due to it being more resistant to wear from vibrations etc., and maybe use 3 core cable to help keep it neat. Crimp connectors make it easy, but best to solder.

I'm mounting a Viofo A229 Pro 2CH with *both* cameras on the rear window, and want to hardwire it to the fuse box located by the driver seat.

The HK4 Hardwire Kit is not long enough for this somewhat unusual setup, so I'm thinking of using a USB-C extension cable to connect the HK4 with the GPS mount of the A229 Pro. Will this work? @VIOFO-Support

Thank you!
We have a 6M HK4 hardwire kit in our warehouse, is it long enough for you?

@MrKrabs
How's it going with your multi A229 Pro set up, (4 units), can we get an update?
Screenshots?
Test Footage?
I just got done installing two A229 Pro 3-CH, and one A229 Plus 3-CH.
Here's a diagram of the POV's

7-CH Diagram .jpg

Here's what it looks like in action daytime & night time;

Back