USB Type C (slim reversible USB connectors you've been waiting for)

With Micro USB heavy handed people mash them in the wrong way and break the socket, the reversible plug is definitely a plus
when i was a delivery driver i would plug my phone in and out 30 times a day in my car... the cables just start to degrade. i hate micro usb so much. I ended up buying 10 or so from monoprice.com and threw them in my trunk so whenever one was starting to go to crap I just tossed it and used another $1.33 cable.

but then my galaxy note 2 was stolen out of my car, and I switched to an iphone 5s. lightning cables are pure bliss for me.

i was hoping USB's new cable would also have the external connectors, it seems like having them internal again could still need to degradation over time.

i wanna get a next gen galaxy note again but I will wait until type c is in them.

An EU 'Rule' on this matter? I guess it is covered by the 'Harmonization' regs and why not it is to everyone's benefit that a 'one size fits all' standard is adopted and as technology moves on so will 'harmonization' lets not forget that there will be millions of products that will still require the mini usb even when new technology pops its head up - no one in their right mind will simply throw away perfectly good kit simply to have the latest connection on their device - or will they;);):eek:

I am not ditching my PC because it does not have the USB3 high speed standard quicker or not. I have better things to spend my money on and certainly it would not be a USP that would persuade me either - tighter than a penguins chuff perhaps but I have survived all these years without being tempted by every gizmo that hits the high street:rolleyes:

so are there going to be type c connectors on BOTH ends? i would assume phones would come with a standard male usb on one side to type c on the other side. but are there actually plans to have type c replace standard usb on computers and such? same plug both ends?

You can already get reversible type A cables mate:

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/lind...-cable-black-2m.html?language=en&currency=GBP

31198-500x500.jpg

So on a similar theme, why invent the SCART when the 25 way 'D' type had been used in computers for years and years!

If the USB 'C' is the same as Apple's Lightning connector then perhaps the generic phone charger idea may soon come to the market place. But then again, if it does, Apple will likely change their connector again.

So on a similar theme, why invent the SCART when the 25 way 'D' type had been used in computers for years and years!

If the USB 'C' is the same as Apple's Lightning connector then perhaps the generic phone charger idea may soon come to the market place. But then again, if it does, Apple will likely change their connector again.
It's not the same as lightning. Lightning has the pins on the outside of the plug while usb type c has them on the inside like micro and mini usb.

I wish they would stop coming up with different "universal" connectors. Since all my dash cams have one, how 'bout we use the mini HDMI as the standard?
Not sure about that, a few weeks ago I tried to plug the mini HDMI connector for my Olympus camera into my mini 0806 - I guess one of them must be a micro HDMI connector! - HDMI is no better than USB!

These are on the new Macbooks - in fact they're the only port on there now which is shared for data, video and power!

Sounds like they'll also be coming to iPhones and iPads near you too!!

This is a great idea. It's not a matter of being lazy. On cameras mounted high on the windshield or behind the rearview mirror, it's difficult to see the port and cannot always remember which is the flat side. I say 2 thumbs up!
I second this, Once my 0806 was up if the cable happens to come loose and out it can be a pain to try to get back in.
I'm in for Type C

And Type C for a much stuff as possible. so we don't need different end cables all over the place.

And Type C for a much stuff as possible. so we don't need different end cables all over the place.

And a whole bunch of them. Just bought a new desktop system a couple weeks ago and I'm down to only 1 empty USB port on the back panel and will have to use that for a hub so I can attach the remaining 'stuff'.

http://bgr.com/2015/09/10/reversible-micro-usb-cable-scosche-eztip/

Forget USB-C, there’s finally a company that makes reversible micro USB cables

By Zach Epstein on Sep 10, 2015 at 11:03 AM

scosche-eztip.jpg

"The word “finally” is used far too often on technology blogs, by tech PR, and even by reporters covering tech for big newspapers. There’s finally a Tinder for finding dog watchers. Really? Finally?

In this case, however, “finally” couldn’t possibly be any more apropos: There’s finallya line of micro USB charging cables with a reversible tip.

DON’T MISS: iPhone 6s: The 9 best new features

Apple’s huge “Hey Siri” event was certainly the talk of the town on Wednesday, but believe it or not there’s another big tech event that’s currently underway. CTIA 2015 in Las Vegas won’t bring us any new iPhones or a next-generation Apple TV, but we are going to see some nifty announcements come out of the desert this week.

Case in point: Scosche’s new EZTIP micro USB cables.

USB Type C has people excited for a few different reasons. One is faster data transfer speeds, of course, but the fact that USB-C plugs and ports are reversible is a big deal. Micro USB, the standard used far and wide across several different industries within consumer tech, is not reversible. And let’s be frank: You almost always try to plug your smartphone charger in upside down before flipping it and plugging it in correctly.

USB-C is already beginning to pop up in laptops, set top boxes and even on smartphones. The brand new OnePlus 2, for example, has a USB Type C charging port. It will be quite some time before USB-C proliferates, though. In fact, it will likely be several years before you can charge anything around your house with one cable, as you can right now with micro USB.

And that’s why Scosche has created a new line of micro USB cables with a special redesigned “EZTIP” tip that is reversible. While the connector on Scosche’s new cables is custom, it still fits any and every device on the planet with a standard micro USB port.

“The new EZTIP line of products will allow users to conveniently and easily charge and/or charge and sync all standard micro USB devices, such as smartphones, earbuds/headphones, portable speakers, portable backup batteries, tablets, digital cameras and more, by inserting the connector either side up,” the company said in a press release. “The new line of symmetrical connector products will eliminate the hassle of worrying about finding the correct side of the micro USB connector.”

Scosche has a range of products planned that will utilize its new reversible micro USB tip, but the first is a car charger it calls StrikeDrive.

scosche-strikedrive-eztip.jpg

The StrikeDrive 12 Watt, 2.4 Amp car charger features a 3-foot coiled cable and a standard car adapter plug that will fit any standard port. It also features the new reversible EZTIP micro USB plug, of course, which will connect to your phone or tablet properly the first time you try to connect it. This is especially important in cars, where fumbling with a cable while trying to plug in a smartphone can be very dangerous.

Scosche’s StrikeDrive car charger goes on sale beginning next month for $19.99, and it will be available for purchase on the company’s website. There’s no word yet on when a standard cable that can be used with a wall charger will be released, though the company says “a variety of charge and sync cables” with the EZTIP connector will go on sale before the end of the year."

I noticed this comment:

"This site should really differentiate the sponsor articles from actual technology news. First Reversible Micro USB was MicFlip, they made their announcement in July of this year and launched kickstarter program, shipment begins this month."

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/micflip-world-s-first-reversible-micro-usb

My main issue with micro is how quickly the connectors fail. Reversible is just a plus. I just wish lightning had usb 3.0+ speeds and was the standard. The actual design seems way sturdier.

Got my first reversible cable through today - I didn't realise when I ordered but it's reversible at both the USB type A end and the micro USB end.

I've tried it and it works fine so far for charging my phone and seems to handle QC 2.0 as well for fast charging - my USB charger doctor only goes up to 7.5V so I've ordered another to see exactly how high it goes - I think 12V is supported.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B014ZT6LTU
It's a bit tighter at both ends than a normal cable but does indeed plug in either way. These things would have saved me hours if you added up all the time I'd messed around trying to plug in cables in the dark!

It remains to be seen how well it holds up over time though as I'm not sure how many insertions and removals these things are rated for compared to normal microUSB connectors.

Back