Using dashcam in Europe - legal?

It is for this obstructing view that I placed my cam behind my mirror, none of it not a single part can be seen when sat normally in the drivers seat, otherwise in uk it should fail MOT(annual car test), I used the cable clips to fix the two wires to the mirror stalk which has a small casing around it, in line so not even that is seen by driver, but still easily accessed by feel or when stopped by cranking head downwards under mirror looking up.
I am not sure,but I think anything mounted on your windshield is prohibited.I didnt wrote laws in Austria.:rolleyes:

In Germany is legal to own and use a dash camera FOR PRIVATE PURPOSE ONLY that means not to publish anything recorded without permission.In special cases as I had,you can show to concerned authorities your recordings IF otherweise you can not prove your innocence.Used 2 times to show to police officers and one time to insurance company,which buy the way turned the case 100% in my advantage.

In Germany is legal to own and use a dash camera FOR PRIVATE PURPOSE ONLY that means not to publish anything recorded without permission.In special cases as I had,you can show to concerned authorities your recordings IF otherweise you can not prove your innocence.Used 2 times to show to police officers and one time to insurance company,which buy the way turned the case 100% in my advantage.

Thanks, was getting a bit worried the other day i drove across the border for some cheap sodas. Well, now i know that it's permitted to have it running while driving on the roads..

I read somewhere in a danish car-magazine that the usage of dashcams in GER was "not recommended", but no answer as to why, was given.

I was in a traffic control yesterday (germany) and the police officer disliked my dashcams. But as they are not prohibited yet he couldn't do anything about it.

Nice to know... (y)

Welcome tho DCT @lost_in_switzerland :)

Thank you for the clarification regards Switzerland. I used Google translate to read the linked document, and they seem to prefer you use G-sensor to eliminate unwanted recording of the general public, but perhaps they do not understand that it may not function as wanted with dashcams. Apparently you can submit the footage to the Police who will decide whether you can use it as evidence, but it seems that if there was no real damage they might not allow that.

If you find any additional information please share it with us. We like our members here to be both safe and legal :cool:

Phil

My German is so-so but my wife is Swiss. I have sent her the link and asked her to decipher it for us. I'll come back when I know more.

My German is so-so but my wife is Swiss. I have sent her the link and asked her to decipher it for us. I'll come back when I know more.
Appears to say that you can use a dashcam, but you are not allowed to look at the recordings! Only the police are allowed to look at the recordings.

there are a number of pirates based in Switzerland and using video hosting website;)

Just casually Browsing found out the illegality of dashcam in Austria (+ Portugal and in Switzerland).
Did not know that...they should put notice at the borders.

Seems there have been minor ''updates'' for Austria since previous comments

Dashcams can be a good law enforcement tool. The UK Police often ask for any dashcam footage to help identify suspects.

I'd like to see a dedicated site where we can search by road and time and see if we are near anything of interest.

Just casually Browsing found out the illegality of dashcam in Austria (+ Portugal and in Switzerland).
Did not know that...they should put notice at the borders.

Seems there have been minor ''updates'' for Austria since previous comments
The joke is that the website cannot even conform the the EU laws on cookies. In that website I found no reference to either Switzerland or Portugal.

Dashcams can be a good law enforcement tool. The UK Police often ask for any dashcam footage to help identify suspects.

I'd like to see a dedicated site where we can search by road and time and see if we are near anything of interest.
Not in the UK, but a friend of mine, in his hotel, had a security camera pointing the parking lot but still the video was also recording a nearby public road which was a big no-no at the time (afterwards there have been some ruling which allow for security reason to protect the property also to have public road in the frame), but the police did not had any issues back then and was asking his recording whenever there was a road accident.

I bet no police anywhere would be so picky once you can provide interesting footage helping their investigations.

I wonder if there was a dash cam in the police car of the 2 German cops that got gunned down doing a routine stop.

Back