Vantrue 20 Amp JS1 Car Jump Starter LN as a valentines gift lol

LateralNW

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
No Brand, Viofo 119,V1,V2,V3,Duo,Duo IR,T130,Vantrue S2
Here is a pre release Jump Starter Unit from Vantrue.

It has all the bells and whistles and then some.
I wonder if it could be used as a power bank for parking mode?
@Jeff_Vantrue

9_026323ac-c207-49a4-ac2d-6d9fa29a4628.jpg

Vantrue Jumpstarter Whats supplied with legend.png

Last edited:
Here is a pre release Jump Starter Unit from Vantrue.

It has all the bells and whistles and then some.
I wonder if it could be used as a power bank for parking mode?
@Jeff_Vantrue

9_026323ac-c207-49a4-ac2d-6d9fa29a4628.jpg

View attachment 70743
I have a similar one from Gooloo, these things are VERY handy for starting cars and beyond. However no way enough as a power bank due to limited capacity (I've had a ZMI powerbank and tried to no avail haha)

these things are VERY handy for starting cars and beyond.

What I want is a converter to go from USB-C to 14.7V croc clips, then I could jump start the car using any USB powerbank, or even the phone! Might need to wait 5 minutes for enough charge to get into the car battery, but it would be cheaper, smaller and safer than one of these dedicated units...

What I want is a converter to go from USB-C to 14.7V croc clips, then I could jump start the car using any USB powerbank, or even the phone! Might need to wait 5 minutes for enough charge to get into the car battery, but it would be cheaper, smaller and safer than one of these dedicated units...
Never had any issues with mine jump-starting mates cars, and probably cheap enough as it is to be honest

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you're joking having a brain fade or something else but connecting up lipos from a powerbank to a car battery is a recipe for catastrophic failure and most likely fire.

You'll never be able to trickle charge either, as usb c nominal output is 5 Volts!

I have a similar one from Gooloo, these things are VERY handy for starting cars and beyond. However no way enough as a power bank due to limited capacity (I've had a ZMI powerbank and tried to no avail haha)

How long do you want to run in parking mode to say "however no way enough as a power bank"

The unit Vantrue is offering says it has 20Amps so I'd expect a 1Amp dashcam to run for at least 10 hrs.

What's the size of your gooloo

( It looks to me Vantrue may have rebadge the gooloo brand)

How long do you want to run in parking mode to say "however no way enough as a power bank"

The unit Vantrue is offering says it has 20Amps so I'd expect a 1Amp dashcam to run for at least 10 hrs.

What's the size of your gooloo

( It looks to me Vantrue may have rebadge the gooloo brand)
16000mah.

Doubt it's a rebrand of the Gooloo. I'd say there would be one or a couple of base devices which these companies would buy off the shelf and brand as their own.

You'll never be able to trickle charge either, as usb c nominal output is 5 Volts!
USB-C PD specifies 15V as one of the selectable voltages, which is pretty close to alternator voltage and probably useable for Lead Acid battery charging, as long as you are not trickle charging for hours.

I'm not sure if you're joking having a brain fade or something else but connecting up lipos from a powerbank to a car battery is a recipe for catastrophic failure and most likely fire.
All standard LiPo USB powerbanks, and phones, have a current limit on their output, so there is no risk of fire or catastrophic failure.

If we take a high quality USB-C PD powerbank, it can probably produce 15V at 5A, giving your car battery a 75W charge rate, which is plenty for charging a car battery sufficiently to easily start the car within 5 minutes, probably 1 minutes in most cases. The only thing that is needed is a cable with croc clips on one end and USB-C on the other, plus a voltage selector to ask the powerbank for 15V.

I don't expect a standard phone with USB-C to output 15V even if asked, probably only 5V, which would need a DC-DC converter to get 14.7V for battery charging, and I wouldn't expect much more than 10W power, so it would take at least 10 minutes to start the car, but it would still work, and work safely.

The proper car battery charger that I actually use for my car has a 6W charge rate. Starting an engine does not actually take much power, it is normally the voltage that is the problem.

Looking at the promo video here:
, doesn't look bad actually. Appreciate the LED display to say how much battery life is left, and the fast 65W USB-PD charging rate is always nice to have on tap.

Have to say jump-starting the Land Rover is accurate too, those cars are as unreliable as anything. Well played Vantrue!

USB-C PD specifies 15V as one of the selectable voltages, which is pretty close to alternator voltage and probably useable for Lead Acid battery charging, as long as you are not trickle charging for hours.

All standard LiPo USB powerbanks, and phones, have a current limit on their output, so there is no risk of fire or catastrophic failure.

If we take a high quality USB-C PD powerbank, it can probably produce 15V at 5A, giving your car battery a 75W charge rate, which is plenty for charging a car battery sufficiently to easily start the car within 5 minutes, probably 1 minutes in most cases. The only thing that is needed is a cable with croc clips on one end and USB-C on the other, plus a voltage selector to ask the powerbank for 15V.

I don't expect a standard phone with USB-C to output 15V even if asked, probably only 5V, which would need a DC-DC converter to get 14.7V for battery charging, and I wouldn't expect much more than 10W power, so it would take at least 10 minutes to start the car, but it would still work, and work safely.

The proper car battery charger that I actually use for my car has a 6W charge rate. Starting an engine does not actually take much power, it is normally the voltage that is the problem.

Good luck implementing your suggestions.

So many 'if's' but no proof.

Theory is fun and all but not so great if someone reading your post actually believes it.

A power bank won't start a car simple fact.

A power bank won't start a car simple fact.
OK, let me get in on this mud wrestling match. lol
What Nigel has been describing kind of already exists, and I actually have one.
Of course it can’t provide “instant” engine cranking like a traditional booster, but it simply recharges the “dead” vehicle starter battery in 5-15 minutes at 15 Volts @ up to 15 Amps.
I’ve tried to measure the actual current to see if it can really go up to 15 Amps, but I’ve only been able to measure around 4 Amps.
I think that’s because I was testing it on a fully charged good battery, and not a “dead” battery.

My favorite operating principal of this device is it provides two methods of connection.
Traditional alligator clamps for connecting directly to vehicle starter battery terminals, and a 12AWG CLA adapter.
This means you can “jump start” a dead battery from the comfort of the passenger compartment (while raining), and you don’t have to explain over the phone to your wife, and girlfriend how to connect Red & Black / Positive & Negative clamps, after you explain how to pop, and open the hood, and find the battery. lol

I purchased this device in 2018, and it was discontinued soon after.
It was only $20, I wish I bought more of them.
I took it apart recently, and it’s powered by (8) 18650 lithium-ion cells.
I’ve been meaning to make a YouTube video about it comparing it with a traditional booster, but my motivation was diminished because it’s been discontinued.
Let me go out to the garage and take some photos of it.

This means you can “jump start” a dead battery from the comfort of the passenger compartment (while raining), and you don’t have to explain over the phone to your wife, and girlfriend how to connect Red & Black / Positive & Negative clamps, after you explain how to pop, and open the hood, and find the battery. lol
Depends on if the lighter socket is permanent on, or switched by ACC. If it is switched then not only do you need to explain how to turn the ignition to position I, and not II (They probably don't know of the existence of position I), but you also need to tell them not to use the phone charger while waiting, because that will remove all the power being added!

Good luck implementing your suggestions.
I have done it, using a 5 volt 2.1 amp output powerbank, works fine, only issue was that my version was not neatly packaged into a cigar lighter plug with a single neat USB cable to connect to the powerbank. And like PP says, you do have to wait a few minutes, it is not instant start like most people want.

Depends on if the lighter socket is permanent on, or switched by ACC. If it is switched then not only do you need to explain how to turn the ignition
Correct.
The instructions specify this.
But they won't read those. lol

I have done it, using a 5 volt 2.1 amp output powerbank, works fine,

Without additional circuitry i find it hard to believe.

Post your circuit diagram and the products you used to help clear up any misunderstanding.

I purchased this device in 2018, and it was discontinued soon after.
It was only $20, I wish I bought more of them.
I took it apart recently, and it’s powered by (8) 18650 lithium-ion cells.

8x 18650's and circuitry sounds awfully cheap. $20 perhaps it was out of the clearance bin?

Would love to see what the product you purchased is called etc.

It won't be the same as a normal powerbank. @Nigel just enjoys stirring it seems.

$20 perhaps it was out of the clearance bin?
I ordered it from Walmart.com for $19.99 November 2018.
After I tested it out I went back online to buy a second, and the price jumped to $29.99, so I said forget that.
It’s been discontinued, and the last price was $49.84.
I’ve noticed when an item is discontinued on walmart.com the price is doubled, or tripled.

Front .jpg
Back .jpg
Left Side .jpg
Right Side .jpg
Bottom .jpg
Top .jpg
2015 Date Code .jpg

Stanley Simple Start P2G7S;

@Nigel just enjoys stirring it seems.
Correct! lol

Stanley Simple Start P2G7S;
Looks good, and a lot safer than the instant start devices that seem to just expose the lithium cells to the croc clips with a huge amperage available!

Looks good, and a lot safer than the instant start devices that seem to just expose the lithium cells to the croc clips with a huge amperage available!

Post your circuit diagram and the products you used to help clear up any misunderstanding.

Big clivedotcom's video is showing a jump starter not a powerbank.

If you have done it with 5 volts I believe you have altered physics. Lol

@Jeff_Vantrue

Hey Jeff Walker up Jeff lol. Ref: The Wiggles

Based on this ad I'd wait until the deal finishes as it gets cheaper lol

IMG_5261.jpeg

Back