Vantrue N5: 4 channel dashcam with industry-leading advanced features.

I think Jeff are going to send me one, i have 3 IMX 335 cameras on the windscreen, though i will have to move at least one of them to make room for the N5

And also take out my mirror, CUZ where i will be installing the cabin camera will have a lot of mirror in the frame otherwise.
But thats OK mirror dont have to be there and i can do without for a few weeks, it is just 2 screws so remove / install mirror in seconds, and there are always a screwdriver in my car.

I will also " soon " get a 4K camera, but on the old IMX 415 sensor, that are still used a lot in 4K systems.

I think Jeff are going to send me one, i have 3 IMX 335 cameras on the windscreen, though i will have to move at least one of them to make room for the N5

And also take out my mirror, CUZ where i will be installing the cabin camera will have a lot of mirror in the frame otherwise.
But thats OK mirror dont have to be there and i can do without for a few weeks, it is just 2 screws so remove / install mirror in seconds, and there are always a screwdriver in my car.

I will also " soon " get a 4K camera, but on the old IMX 415 sensor, that are still used a lot in 4K systems.
yeah i am a bit swamped right now, being sent a camera from a brand that cannot be named and my main camera is still up, some re arranging will be necessary

I did not know the devil make dashcams. :)

yeah i am a bit swamped right now, being sent a camera from a brand that cannot be named and my main camera is still up, some re arranging will be necessary
haha yeah I think a lot of companies are getting ready to release Starvis 2 models so testers are all getting loaded up with new models right now… :)

A very interesting model. The video is not bad, but YouTube.
Can I see the original video somewhere?
Youtube always compresses videos, and I'm sure you'll get the original video file in no time.

Yes it is unfortunate, but a necessary evil of youtube i think.
I will also make it more clear in the future that i will be available for raw footage DL, and as far as it is possible footage taken in certain conditions, though i can of course not deliver summer video in the middle of the vinter and vice versa.

Hello,

is there somewhere technical specifications for the dashcam system N5?
I would be interested to know, how much power consumption the complete system allows itself?

Or, what is the operating time of the Vantrue N5 system on a Power Core 6200LFP Plus (with Power Core 13400LFP)?
I suspect there won't be any findings on this yet.

Thanks for any feedback.
That's a good question, and I'd like some tech reviewers to publish it, so it might be more objective and truthful.
Samples will soon arrive in German warehouses where you can experience the Vantrue Nexus 5.
DSC08683.jpg

Hello,

is there somewhere technical specifications for the dashcam system N5?
I would be interested to know, how much power consumption the complete system allows itself?

Or, what is the operating time of the Vantrue N5 system on a Power Core 6200LFP Plus (with Power Core 13400LFP)?
I suspect there won't be any findings on this yet.

Thanks for any feedback.
I believe that soon there will be technical experts to release the results, technology enthusiasts to release the results will be more fair and transparent, and everyone is curious about the power consumption of the 4 cameras. Fortunately, the Vantrue N5 adds a monitoring area lock to better protect the car battery.

Attachments

• Vantrue N5 (13).jpg
    Vantrue N5 (13).jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 23
I believe that soon there will be technical experts to release the results, technology enthusiasts to release the results will be more fair and transparent
That's actually a very fair opinion. I respect this from a company.

I believe that soon there will be technical experts to release the results, technology enthusiasts to release the results will be more fair and transparent, and everyone is curious about the power consumption of the 4 cameras. Fortunately, the Vantrue N5 adds a monitoring area lock to better protect the car battery.

Hello!

We as a manufacturer (area does not matter for the time being) develop a circuit board for control electronics to connect further accessories such as sensors, actuators, motors, etc. to it, but we have a technical data sheet in which all our specifications are listed. From the current consumption in standby to the operating mode. And not only that, because our unit is so complex, we also specify the current carrying capacity of our outputs digital/analog in the datasheet. Since network cards are used in our controllers, more data is given for this as well. The temperature output, power dissipation, hardware and software are tested in our lab before we finally sell the product.

And as a manufacturer for a dashcam, they have no technical data? Sorry, that may sound harsh, but that sounds like a garage company that just put together a prototype dashcam and now has it tested by what experts? Don't they have a lab, their own test vehicle with measuring equipment?

And then there are the "experts testing it", sorry I hope there is a 24h continuous recording current meter. Only times a car drive a current consumption measure, I can also hang my Fluke purely, but is that then also the constant or are there still outliers? In parking mode, the power consumption remains constant in midsummer / winter or does the electronics strikes before?

What also makes me wonder, why no image stabilization is used? The roads here are miserable. I drive partly over farmland and country roads, half a pothole paradise and when I film with my DSLR/DSLM, I am always happy about the IS, otherwise the recording would be a disaster.

I'm new to the dashcam scene, but I hope the N5 is as good from a specs standpoint as the marketing is.

I have yet to see a dashcam from any brand being leaps and bounds ahead of the curve, in the past +10 years all i have seen from everyone are little gradual steps ahead, sure new sensors ASO have come around but none of them have been a major leap in image quality.
I personally like the remote cameras, where the cameras are on a wire from a main unit you can place hidden / out of direct sun, CUZ i feel the advantages from this approach are many.
But so far only a few brands have made such a system, and it is my understanding they do not sell well for some reason, the reason might be that aside for the design those cameras have not offered anything new.

But if you would / if the SOC support it, you could use a larger storage devise like a M.2 drive, this would also enable really high resolutions and bitrates from several cameras, and for sure as it is now, the modest bitrates on all dashcams are holding them all back in image quality.
You could also use a proper / actual cooling solution, hell you could even put a fan on it too as the main unit are hidden så size & look of it matter little. this would be so good for parking guard in hot environments, and a 2 TB hard drive would enable you to store much footage.

As long as we are so "locked" in to on the windscreen glass systems, i see little progress in the future of dashcams.

I know some of the ISP in modern phones have spectacular capabilities. i would like to see something like that deployed in modern dashcams, like say a dual 4K/60 FPS system, with really nice bitrate too.

Something tells me that any model, from any manufacturer, will disappoint you. Regardless of the price. :unsure:
I hope not. Of course, you have to accept sacrifices and I can't compare the system with a DSLR/DSLM at all, but I spent 25 times more for my camera system and that only includes a body, lens, battery and CF card.

But as Kamkar has already written, why do mobile manufacturers produce cameras that now deliver groundbreaking image material when you take a look at these tiny sensor surfaces? And what are the modern mobile devices equipped with: Image stabilizer, zoom..... It's sad what kind of work the dashcam manufacturers deliver. Well, you must not forget here, what such a cell phone costs, but it can also enormously more.

Here in the forum, made attentive again by kamkar, you can find a topic regarding side window dashcam. The manufacturers and product managers always want to be so smart, but to research what would be interesting, there is asleep. Many cars have a rigid window in the rear area, why not develop 2 side cameras with a spread angle to the front and a narrower angle to the rear? Or a 2-lens system, which brings us back to the cell phone.

Let's see where the journey goes.

What also makes me wonder, why no image stabilization is used? The roads here are miserable. I drive partly over farmland and country roads, half a pothole paradise and when I film with my DSLR/DSLM, I am always happy about the IS, otherwise the recording would be a disaster.
I'm sorry, but you are mistaken about the need for stabilization for a car DVR. We found out this during tests of various dashcams when driving off-road, including sports cars with reinforced rigid suspension. A description of the tests is here -
"Extreme Dashcam test: 24 hours off-road"
https://videoregforum.ru/threads/ehkstrim-test-videoregistratorov-24-chasa-bezdorozhja.1220/
and a few videos from the tests:

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but you are mistaken about the need for stabilization for a car DVR. We found out this during tests of various dashcams when driving off-road, including sports cars with reinforced rigid suspension. A description of the tests is here -

I especially enjoyed the last video! :D

And I live on a very bumpy dirt and gravel mountain road, so I definitely agree with your statement. In fact, two months ago I broke a strut on my truck out on my road when I hit a big pothole full of water.

Well few people test something like that, TBH power draw have never interested me as i have no need for long duration parking guard.
BUT ! getting the power draw should not be hard to do, actually i think the brands should list such things them self ( in the technical specs ), as it would help a buyer making a informed decision on what to buy.

Personally i find parking guard also on the interior cameras are a bit of a waste, well at least when the perp can just take your camera / memory card
Also to some degree from the power draw perspective, though i can also see it would be good to get a close up mug shot of a unwanted person in your car.
Correctly, perp can take away the camera and memory card,
so Vantrue will soon release 4G LTE Dashcam, where video files can be saved to the cloud in real time.

Correctly, perp can take away the camera and memory card,
so Vantrue will soon release 4G LTE Dashcam, where video files can be saved to the cloud in real time.
I do test power consumption.
Knowing this information helps me understand the requirements of the Dashcam.

4G LTE Dashcam that doesn't lock you to a single cloud supplier I look forward to seeing.

Smart cameras i feel are the future, even if i must admit that personally i am not a fan / interested in them.
But that is ignorance speaking CUZ i have never tried one, but i will soon if my dride 4K kickstarter camera arrive.
Saving events to the cloud do not sound stupid to me, what i would also like was the ability to save them to your own home NAS, that i think no one offer ATM.

Saving all footage all the time while driving, even in little flat Denmark, with access to the 2 biggest 4 and 5G networks i think that at least some times will be hard to do.
Right now on my phone and due to updates alongside 5G upgrades, well i have 100 mbit on the phone inside the apartment, but not that long ago it was only 30 mbit.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the N5 compared with other cameras.
It will be interesting to see how good the low light performance of the 2.5k Starvis 2 is compared to the 4k Starvis 2, especially at night.
You can refer to the STARVIS 2 video released by Sony Youtube, and the contrast of night effects is very obvious;
Both the Vantrue N5 and the Vantrue N4 Pro to be released in June are STARVIS 2, but the Vantrue N4 Pro supports 4K.

Back