Vantrue N5: 4 channel dashcam with industry-leading advanced features.

More resolution are also the future, so as a dashcam maker having a 4K system are a must i feel.
I have yet to try a 4K system, but that will happen soon if i get the dride 4K, even if it is not a starvis 2 sensor, but i got in with that on kickstarter as it was a cheap way for me to get to try a smart dashcam, and as no one have ever sent me one of those i had to pay myself.
And i need to get experienced with smart cameras, like it or not, so this old dog must learn new tricks so i can help make people happy.
So i think this will be a exiting summer for me with dashcams, and i also have a lot of work to do on our model railway in the field at my friends place.
I need to call my doctor and get some more of the really strong painkiller pills, CUZ i am sure i will need more of those before the summer are over. CUZ in model scale i have mountains to finish and a desert landskabe to make, and sadly it is not small scale, it is about the biggest model railway scale you can get so a mountain are several cubic M in volume and made in concrete instead of lightweight things.

need for stabilization for a car DVR
I have been wondering why no one have made a "RACE" dashcam, so one that do support high bitrates and also things like EIS.
I would buy a race dashcam for my ordinary car just to enjoy elevated bitrate / image quality, EIS i would not need on Danish roads

A dual remote system i think would be excellent.
I am also thinking use of a larger MP sensor and then like phones bin the pixels to be more light sensitive, so 4K/30 or 60 HDR or EIS ( probably not able to do both at the same time, at least in 60 FPS mode )
But super high bitrate and super nice 30 FPS 4K HDR footage i would take.

The problem is, you can not build a camera like that with the SOCs we normally see in use, it would probably be more of a high end camera phone but just a dashcam, maybe keep 4/5G modem for smarts, for sure it will NOT be a cheap system.
A nice fat 8 core phone chip and a kick ass ISP.
Say 50 - 60 Mbit AV1 encode for the primary 4K camera, and something not that far from it for the secondary ( rear ) camera, maybe both should be the same 4K camera.

Thank you for any feedback.

It is a pity that there are no technical specifications for this, especially regarding the current consumption from the manufacturer. Also i don't understand, if a parking monitor mode is available, why the dashcam manufacturers don't think about a more sensible power supply and cooperate with a battery manufacturer, which work with LifePo4 or lithium titanate. Not everyone wants a drained starter battery either. The main thing is to sell a relabeled SD card ;)

And I prefer a rechargeable battery system, because I charge while I drive and when I come back from shopping, then I have the parking bumper with license plate on the dashcam because the parking surveillance has recorded. Not as already experienced: No one has seen anything.

Parking monitoring may not make sense for everyone, but there are situations that show parking monitoring in a completely different light. Ever had envious in the company and unscrewed wheels or jokers who just wanted to allow themselves a joke, oops windshield wiper bent. And no one was it in the end.

I have seen there is a remote controller for the Vantrue N5. A wireless remote controller?
View attachment 65007
Neither a link to this exists, nor a locatable remote control on the manufacturer's website.
Maybe I need to do a better search.

best regards to all happy Dashcam-Users.
Sorry for the late reply, I've been too busy recently. But I will definitely answer your questions, it's my love!

How to maintain the car battery, Vantrue has made efforts in two aspects:
1. Improvement in hardware, the 3-Lead ACC Hardwire Kit developed in 2022, the voltage regulation will be more accurate, and it has been liked by many drivers last year.
2. Improvement in software: Vantrue Nexus 5 has added the monitoring area locking function in parking mode, which can also be called electronic fence. For example, if the motion detection function is turned on in the Parking Mode, if someone or a car appears, it should start recording; but if the clouds in the sky change, or the sky suddenly rains, or the wind blows the trees, whenever the scene changes, Dashcam will also Start recording so you don't need to drain your car battery.
Therefore, Vantrue has added the electronic fence function in Nexus 5, which can select the area monitoring and avoid those areas that do not need to be monitored.

Let me give a detailed reply about the Vantrue wireless remote control(Vantrue Hot Key);
Currently we have two wireless remote controls:
1.Vantrue N5 and Vantrue N4 Pro wireless remote controls that can be adapted to each other, and these two models of remote controls need to be purchased separately.
2.Vantrue E1/E2/E3 wireless remote controllers can be used universally, while Vantrue Element1/2/3 remote controllers are free and put directly in the package.

Attachments

• vantrue element1 (10).png
    vantrue element1 (10).png
    365.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I considered using fence in my CCTV ( IP camera ) PTZ.
But as my camera are on my 2 floor balcony door and i film down at a 35 - 40 degree angle at my car, and i have used optical zoom, then it is not needed.
But i wish i was able to buy a newer PTZ camera that could do automatic tracking and Zoom on movement, if i had that i wild leave the camera zoomed out so a covered more on the back yard, and then let the camera track and zoom on every person that turn up.
BUT ! dont give a alarm / notification unless they venture close to my parked fenced off car.

But such cameras are expensive at least if you dont go for the cheapest model ( it is a Dahua system i use )

The BT button for the E2 i am testing, feel very nice, better than any other remote BT button i have tried.
The 2 options on it ( MIC on / off and event ) I am a little weary about, but i have not yet turned off the microphone when creating a event, in spite of the remote button are not properly installed in my car, if it was it would be more secure and my worry would probably not be valid.

The BT button for the E2 i am testing, feel very nice, better than any other remote BT button i have tried.
The 2 options on it ( MIC on / off and event ) I am a little weary about, but i have not yet turned off the microphone when creating a event, in spite of the remote button are not properly installed in my car, if it was it would be more secure and my worry would probably not be valid.
The Vantrue Hot Key wireless remote control was designed with rigorous testing experiments to facilitate emergency use by the driver.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been too busy recently. But I will definitely answer your questions, it's my love!

1. Improvement in hardware, the 3-Lead ACC Hardwire Kit developed in 2022, the voltage regulation will be more accurate, and it has been liked by many drivers last year.
2. Improvement in software: Vantrue Nexus 5 has added the monitoring area locking function in parking mode, which can also be called electronic fence. For example, if the motion detection function is turned on in the Parking Mode, if someone or a car appears, it should start recording; but if the clouds in the sky change, or the sky suddenly rains, or the wind blows the trees, whenever the scene changes, Dashcam will also Start recording so you don't need to drain your car battery.
Therefore, Vantrue has added the electronic fence function in Nexus 5, which can select the area monitoring and avoid those areas that do not need to be monitored.

Let me give a detailed reply about the Vantrue wireless remote control(Vantrue Hot Key);
1.Vantrue N5 and Vantrue N4 Pro wireless remote controls that can be adapted to each other, and these two models of remote controls need to be purchased separately.
2.Vantrue E1/E2/E3 wireless remote controllers can be used universally, while Vantrue Element1/2/3 remote controllers are free and put directly in the package.
In the E2 thread, you wrote:
Powered by the advanced algorithm system, E2 comes with an intelligent nighttime vision by automatically analyzing the surrounding conditions and adjusting the recording brightness as needed, to capture more details and give superior night-time visibility.
Is there the same in N5 parking mode?

Thanks for the answer.

A hardwire kit is not a bad option. When the voltage limit is undercut, the hardwire kit shuts down. A now weakened starter battery, which no longer starts the car is a stupid situation.
In addition, one should also consider: Low temperatures have a negative effect on the performance of car batteries. Even at 0 degrees Celsius, a battery loses about 30 percent of its starting power.
Here where I live, the area is also called Baden Siberia, because -20°C in winter is nothing unusual.

An empty battery pack LifePo4 or whatever, also makes no more records, but the starter battery is now not weakened in addition by the Hardwire Kit and the starter battery still has power to start the car.

- The remote control unit for N5 can be purchased separately. Okay. The question was where? In any case, it is not listed in the accessories.

1683738940208.png

Clearly, I like the N5 a lot, though I would like to see the system in 4K. What I would also like is a plugin system that you can connect other camera systems to the main system.

So I would mount two more dashcams (same resolution, same viewing angle) by the rear side windows, which are not irrelevant in parking mode and have a much better view (without interior obstruction) to the side outside.
That's something manufacturers should think about.

In how far 60fps or more affect the image sharpness in a dashcam, I do not know. I only know as a photographer with a DSLM and video function that fast objects are better reproduced with 120fps than with 25/30/50/60fps.

My favorite would be the N5 with 4K resolution, 2 more dashcams (2K or higher) on the side rear windows, a remote control (A remote with custom programmable buttons would be cool) and a battery pack. The favorite battery pack I have already selected with Power Core 6200LFP Pro and the Power Core 13400LFP. That should hold out for a few days even for a power-hungry system.

I think as the remote button for the N5 and N4pro are special, well compared to the other ones like on E series, then it is probably not listed yet

60 FPS generally just set a minimum exposure time of 1:60 second, which granted are 2 X faster than the 1:30 second a 30 FPS camera will drop to in low light.
But with light present the 2 different FPS settings would just use the same exposure time, in low light it matter little if 1:60 exposure are used, it is still way too slow exposure to get a sharp image of anything that is faster than a baby can crawl across a floor.

If only we could get sensors so light sensitive the minimum exposure time could be set to 1:250 second, that would be excellent.

I think as the remote button for the N5 and N4pro are special, well compared to the other ones like on E series, then it is probably not listed yet

60 FPS generally just set a minimum exposure time of 1:60 second, which granted are 2 X faster than the 1:30 second a 30 FPS camera will drop to in low light.
But with light present the 2 different FPS settings would just use the same exposure time, in low light it matter little if 1:60 exposure are used, it is still way too slow exposure to get a sharp image of anything that is faster than a baby can crawl across a floor.

If only we could get sensors so light sensitive the minimum exposure time could be set to 1:250 second, that would be excellent.
Interesting execution. With my DSLM there is an automatic function, if the exposure time (example 1/1000s) cannot be kept when shooting, the ISO/ASA (light sensitivity from the sensor) is increased. Depending on the sensor, this results in more noise, but better this image than no image at all.

If the lighting conditions are perfect, it might be feasible to increase the fps accordingly and vice versa. Just an idea for the next generation dashcams?

Thank you! It's refreshing to see people differentiate between frame rate and shutter speed. If you're shooting at 1/250th, then switching from 30 fps to 60 fps to 120 fps really only helps with getting smooth slowmo (and improving the odds of capturing the perfect moment in a high speed event), while also potentially reducing the quality per frame if you don't simultaneously double or quadruple the bitrate accordingly. The higher frame rates and bitrates also potentially exacerbate overheating issues too.

In the E2 thread, you wrote:

Is there the same in N5 parking mode?
Compared with Vantrue E2 and Vantrue N5,
Nexus 5 will be more powerful. Nexus 5 supports parking area locking (electronic fence), equipped with Sony STARVIS 2, and the night vision effect will be better.

Vantrue E2 will support parking mode area lock function in the near future, the Vantrue R&D team is already testing, and I believe there will be a new version of the software in the near future.

That sensing area, like Zones / fence on CCTV cameras, i am not sure if it is useful or not.
BUT ! for sure it is no hurt, and we must try things to see if they are good for us or not

I do also use AI motion detect on my parked car, but still some times the high wind like the last few days, will generate notifications, even if only moving vehicles or humans near my car should set off notification.
But i think i know what the problem is, so i am going to look into that soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer.

A hardwire kit is not a bad option. When the voltage limit is undercut, the hardwire kit shuts down. A now weakened starter battery, which no longer starts the car is a stupid situation.
In addition, one should also consider: Low temperatures have a negative effect on the performance of car batteries. Even at 0 degrees Celsius, a battery loses about 30 percent of its starting power.
Here where I live, the area is also called Baden Siberia, because -20°C in winter is nothing unusual.

An empty battery pack LifePo4 or whatever, also makes no more records, but the starter battery is now not weakened in addition by the Hardwire Kit and the starter battery still has power to start the car.

- The remote control unit for N5 can be purchased separately. Okay. The question was where? In any case, it is not listed in the accessories.

View attachment 65063

Clearly, I like the N5 a lot, though I would like to see the system in 4K. What I would also like is a plugin system that you can connect other camera systems to the main system.

So I would mount two more dashcams (same resolution, same viewing angle) by the rear side windows, which are not irrelevant in parking mode and have a much better view (without interior obstruction) to the side outside.
That's something manufacturers should think about.

In how far 60fps or more affect the image sharpness in a dashcam, I do not know. I only know as a photographer with a DSLM and video function that fast objects are better reproduced with 120fps than with 25/30/50/60fps.

My favorite would be the N5 with 4K resolution, 2 more dashcams (2K or higher) on the side rear windows, a remote control (A remote with custom programmable buttons would be cool) and a battery pack. The favorite battery pack I have already selected with Power Core 6200LFP Pro and the Power Core 13400LFP. That should hold out for a few days even for a power-hungry system.
Speaking of Baden reminds me of the wines there, and I have endless aftertastes. It's a beautiful place.

You are absolutely right that car batteries degrade when the temperature is cold, so car power becomes more valuable.
Fortunately, Vantrue will release a Hardwire Kit with a display screen in June, which can display the power in real time, and know the power of the car's battery at any time.

The service life of car batteries is generally 2-3 years, and some particularly expensive batteries are used It can be up to 5 years, but the driver cannot determine when the battery needs to be replaced with a new one. This problem is very troublesome.
Let me talk about what I have experienced before. When I finished breakfast and prepared to go to work step by step, I suddenly found that the car engine could not be started. The reason was that the battery had been used for more than 3 years. I should replace it with a new battery. This sudden situation is really delayed time.
The Dashcam Hardwire Kit to be released by Vantrue can let me know that the voltage is in a low-voltage loss state for a long time, so I will make some preparations in advance, so as not to suddenly find that the car engine cannot start, which will delay my normal life.
VANTRUE battery voltage dispay.JPG

The wireless remote control of Vantrue N5 and N4 Pro, currently there is no purchase link, Vantrue will give some old customers a gift, in June I believe there will be a purchase link of Vantrue wireless remote control.

Vantrue N4 Pro supports 4K and Sony STARVIS 2, but it only has three cameras,
VANTRUE NEXUS 4Pro(N4 Pro) (9).jpg

The Dashcam Hardwire Kit to be released by Vantrue can let me know that the voltage is in a low-voltage loss state for a long time, so I will make some preparations in advance, so as not to suddenly find that the car engine cannot start, which will delay my normal life.
Interesting development. But I usually keep the Hardwire Kit out of sight.
For the new Hardwire Kit, you will need to come up with a new place where it will be visible.

But I usually keep the Hardwire Kit out of sight.
Indeed, but it is nice you can at least bend over and see, like with the old ones some also needed to do that to see if the pilot light on them was on or not.

A bit problematic for me as my fuse box are way up under the dashboard and at the driver side A pillar, and even with a removed access panel there ( i never bothered to put that back in )
Well lets just say when this old and not flexible guy go there, there is a lot of moaning and cussing going on.

Hard wire kits along with the surplus wire i zip tie to a metal bar, which are easy to see thru the opening in the dashboard plastics created by removing that access panel.

Speaking of Baden
When i was young ( 17 - 23 or so ) i collected wine, only to drink it all during a short period of unemployment.
Needless to say my collection also had a few bottles of German wine, but the bulk of it was French

I never liked wine or for that matter beer with food, i want milk or a soda.

Going to wine testings, dressed very casual as i always am, standing there with high roller businessmen in suits was funny, also most of them was old, old enough to have been my parents.

The service life of car batteries is generally 2-3 years, and some particularly expensive batteries are used It can be up to 5 years, but the driver cannot determine when the battery needs to be replaced with a new one.
I don't think this is true.
A normal 12V battery lasts 5-10 years if you are driving the car regularly. I am currently driving a car that is 9 years old and on its first battery. It's not showing any signs of dying.
It just depends on how you treat the battery. Don't drain it all the way by sitting in the car with the ignition on listening to music for hours.
If a new car battery dies within 2-3 years you are seriously doing something wrong or the battery has a defect from factory.

If a new car battery dies within 2-3 years you are seriously doing something wrong or the battery has a defect from factory.
At least me, i didn't heard of a batterry to last 10 years. But 5,6 years yes, of course.
Yes, indeed, or manufacturing problems wich are solved under warranty.

Anyway, i don't think that any parking mode kit should alow voltage under 12,2V on classic engine cars. And that is a value acceptable for older cars wich do not have many electronics after the ignition is of.

Back