Vantrue N5 Review

Skylar132

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 PRO 2CH
Before I start the review I will say Vantrue sent me this camera free of charge. Although I am not required to say anything positive and all views and opinions are my own.

First Impressions
I must say out of all the dash cam brands I’ve used and unboxed vantrue have had the most premium feeling packaging, reminiscent of unboxing a new iPhone, in the box you find your N5 unit, the rear and rear interior camera unit, all yous necessary cables, instruction manual and electro static stickers, the only thing you need to purchase is an sd card or a hardwire kit if you are interested in unlocking parking mode.

Video Quality

The N5 boasts in the advertising that it uses the new sony starvis 2 sensor and boasts great low light performance, and it does have great performance. The only critique of mine regarding image quality is it can become a bit muddled in cloudy conditions, this causes it to occasionally miss license plates of oncoming vehicles. The front camera records in 1440p while the secondary cameras all record in 1080P, this is the first time I have driven with a cabin and it made me realise all the stupid faces I make while I drive, this can of course be changed to lower resolutions for improved frame rate and smaller file sized but for the duration I had my N5 I ran it at the maximum settings, I was very happy with the quality of all four cameras, although it is rather hard to comment on image quality please see below the sample footage I have recorded for the N5.

Parking Mode

As I had reviewed previous vantrue dash cams (E1 and E2) I had the two wire hardwire kit and made the attempt to use this with the N5 but it was causing some issues, there were times when the camera would appear to be recording but it in fact was not. I spoke to Jeff from vantrue after the fact and the solution we came up with was to use the 3 wire hardwire kit which worked a treat in my instance. The N5 offers Collision detection, motion detection, low bitrate and low framrate parking modes. I personally used the motion detection for my purposes and it worked well, I cannot comment too much regarding accuracy as my car was never hit but I hold the confidence that the N5 would be able to catch it.

Final Thoughts

I am thoroughly impressed with vantrue’s N5, they are clearly trying new things and trying to innovate within the dash cam world and I think we are all happy to see new things being tried. For anyone looking the full 4 channel coverage provided by the N5 I would strongly recommend it especially for the price.

Find all my review clips in this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA84qh2UOnptpRF8SXoE9HgOCTV74Vhf2

(videos are being uploaded at the same time as the review so please check back in a few hours if you cannot view the videos in full quality)

Back