VAVA Dash Cam

The only thing that somewhat interest me is their battery charger, where they state it could keep the dashcam on for up to 30 days. Spec seems okay also.

2300mAh and 30 days standby, have to wonder what 30 days of 'standby' actually entails

Reminds DDPai used design with magnetic mount and remote control.
Interesting solution of using CPU fan and 4m power cable with built-in GPS, I have seen them only on couple of other daschams.
Quick release magnetic mount, - I do like myself experimenting with magnetic mounts, however design should be done the way when there is a car accident then dascham will not fly off. Not sure how tight / secure is that particular magnetic mount in case of crash ( hopefully nobody will be experiencing that scenario ! )
Power bank is interesting add-on, however it may not fit all cars due to too tight design around cigarette lighter socket.
Up to 30 days stand-by - it looks like only for G-sensor activation. I guess this does not apply to motion detection. In theory 24'000 mAh may last 30 days as a stand-by time to operate g-sensor, however it is not clear how many g-sensor activation it may hold within that period ( 1,2, 5 ? ) and not sure if built in fan works while car is parked or not ? Can it last 30d with working fan + standby g-sensor function ?. Also, most battery banks loosing their capacity over some period of time and usually advertised " can last up to x days" capacity decreases.
Early Birds prices are quite attractive for that product. Of course developer have to make sure the firmware will be polished up to provide stable performance and good image quality. We have seen in the past ( and even now ) where dascham design, functions, hardware used etc. are quite nice on the paper, but in reality due to non-polished firmware and some other hardware design mistakes ending in poor performance and reliability. Anyway, only time will tell ( after June 2017 ). Every start-up is hard and we can only wish good luck and patience to those guys!

One solution to the magnetic mount problem would be for the cam and mount to have a pin and a hole to take any lateral stresses involved in a crash. Given enough magnetism, that would remain engaged under great stress and the cam could still have some rotational movement available to assist with aiming ;)

I like seeing new and good ideas succeed, but I've also been 'burned' too many times for me to back anything with my limited money until it is proven, at which time my backing is no longer of any real use. If this turns out to be a good cam I'll buy one or more but right now I'm not seeing believable specs listed in the powering area; this while I'm pretty conversant with all battery technology available today. If they can't get that right (which is pretty simple) then I'm left wondering about all the rest which is far more complex and daunting. I might be all wrong here- it wouldn't be the first time- but I believe my doubts are valid :(

Phil

I want to see someone play a little ice hockey with it :D maybe not the slap shot part, but if you was able to pass it back and forth a little that would be cool.

I do think most magnet solutions will come off in a severe G-force event, so if they could be paired with some form of mechanical safty that would be great.

I dont mean a snug fit, but just something that will prevent the camera from launching in a event, and so it will also make the magnet mount re-engage when the event is over.

From https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2130897358/the-vava-dash-cam-capture-the-road-ahead

This "Snapshot for remote captures " feature kind of intrigues me.
Are there any other camera that have a remote event button.

remotesnap.png

If you have a side mounted dash cam, and want to mark an event, you either have to make note of time and look on the dash cam or do the impossible task of stretching you arms if the camera has an event button. Something I don't recommend. :D

Now this is a snapshot and not an event marker.

From https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2130897358/the-vava-dash-cam-capture-the-road-ahead

View attachment 28946

If you have a side mounted dash cam, and want to mark an event, you either have to make note of time and look on the dash cam or do the impossible task of stretching you arms if the camera has an event button. Something I don't recommend. :D

I have seen 5-6 dashcams using remote wireless button.
I guess at the moment you can mark an event on your front cam and rely on that time when trying to find same specific time from your side view camera recording.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Yeah i have also seen the wifi / BT event button before on a few dashcams, but for the love of god dont ask me when or where.

I have seen 5-6 dashcams using remote wireless button.
I guess at the moment you can mark an event on your front cam and rely on that time when trying to find same specific time from your side view camera recording.

Is there any remote wireless you tested or like? I tend to hit my front camera a little hard when marking an event and there is a little bit of shake. I would love to have a button mounted around the car radio or vents. When I press the button on my front camera and the car in front see a single finger on the camera, they think I am giving the finger.

I guess you can use the front cam to mark an event and then search the others. Hoping the time of the front camera is in sync with the other camera(s).

Is there any remote wireless you tested or like? I tend to hit my front camera a little hard when marking an event and there is a little bit of shake. I would love to have a button mounted around the car radio or vents. When I press the button on my front camera and the car in front see a single finger on the camera, they think I am giving the finger.

I guess you can use the front cam to mark an event and then search the others. Hoping the time of the front camera is in sync with the other camera(s).
I bought very first DDPAI M5 about 2.5y ago, not the one M5 they had later in production but their beta-M5. Remote button is quite interesting solution however that M5 had low bit-rate and poorly tuned IQ despite using Sony Sensor.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

...Hoping the time of the front camera is in sync with the other camera(s).

Have GPS on all cams just to sync the time with the satellites. Should be close enough even if from different manufacturers.

Thats sort of why i ask for a means to daisy chain cameras like dual setups with 2 remote cameras on wire, so if you tag a manual event on the primary unit, it will send a signal thru the daisy chain so the other similar unit you have connected for use as side cameras will also tag their cameras.

This might be doable with current cameras using their wifi as a way to daisy chain, assuming your second set ( side cameras ) you could set them up as a slave of the same unit acting as primary camera ( front and rear )

And that way you would have a kick ass quad channel system, fully synced up

And i would take a wired daisy chain setup too, cuz it dont really matter when both main units are hidden.

Im thinking with the gopros they can line a bunch of them up in a circle or arch and then do Matrix like recordings where one camera hand over to the other, so i am thinking at least in gopros that daisy chain like functionality is already there.
But i am not sure if they do those recordings with the gopro cameras alone or it need some sort of master devise to handle the handover from 1 camera to the next.
or for that matter if its done via wifi or wire between the gopros.
Anyway off course we are not going to make bullet style recordings, but as some cameras can do this mean they must be talking to each other, and so i argue it must also be possible to daisy chain / link up 2 dual channel cameras and have some of their functions/ comands act upon all 4 cameras / 2 units.

Im thinking manual events taggin all 4 channels
( g sensor events should work okay with separate non linked units )
Motion detect ( have all 4 cameras record if just motion detected on front or any other single camera )
Sync time/date off the master unit.
And maybe more i cant think of right now.

Just thinking out loud again.

Last edited:
In regard to motion detect, i have been thinking if it was possible to stipulate that that motion got to be of a humanoid shape to cut down on false recordings when using motion detect, maybe use already existing face detection.

So if there is motion and there is no face to it the dashcam do nothing, but if there is motion and there is a face to go along with it the camera will make a motion detect recording.
This way i think if a car pull up along you while you are parked and he bump you, then motion might still record too as there is a face in the car thats moving, and i think we can assume such events will most likely always happen at fairly slow speeds.
Or maybe G-sensor will react on the event itself, and motion detect will then act when faces / humanoid shapes come out of that car, and so you should be having all the evidence you could ever need.

These are the kind of smart features i would love to see in dashcameras as i feel they are highly valid and useful.

View attachment 28946

I have a few dashcam that have a remote button like this... Goluk T1, T2, T3, and ddpai mini 2. I've seen other dash cam from China that have the remote button. It's useful to mark an event, but I personally rarely use it.

On the Goluk, when you press the button, it will save 8 seconds before pressing it and 8 seconds after it, in either 480p or 1080p format, depending on your setting. The video will be saved in a folder called "wonderful", as the use for the button is mostly for sharing videos, at least the way Goluk marketed it I believe.

I don't remember about ddpai how their button functions.

On the Goluk, when you press the button, it will save 8 seconds before pressing it and 8 seconds after it, in either 480p or 1080p format, depending on your setting.
Which would kind of be useful if one wants to document distracted drivers to one's side.

In regard to motion detect, i have been thinking if it was possible to stipulate that that motion got to be of a humanoid shape to cut down on false recordings when using motion detect, maybe use already existing face detection.

So if there is motion and there is no face to it the dashcam do nothing, but if there is motion and there is a face to go along with it the camera will make a motion detect recording..

Added to my list of dream and pipe dream features I would love to see in a dash cam.

So if there is motion and there is no face to it the dashcam do nothing, but if there is motion and there is a face to go along with it the camera will make a motion detect recording.
This way i think if a car pull up along you while you are parked and he bump you, then motion might still record too as there is a face in the car thats moving, and i think we can assume such events will most likely always happen at fairly slow speeds.
Or maybe G-sensor will react on the event itself, and motion detect will then act when faces / humanoid shapes come out of that car, and so you should be having all the evidence you could ever need.

These are the kind of smart features i would love to see in dashcameras as i feel they are highly valid and useful.

So with humanoid motion detection using "face" recognition, what would happen if someone causes an accident because they are looking the other way and not paying attention? ;)

This was all just things my brain came up with after seeing my new phone have smile detection or you can trigger burst shot with a gesture.
Not that i think its the phone, i thing its a standard part of android 6.0 maybe.
Also i am sure this is not supported by current chipsets where it seen speech is about as good as it get, maybe face detection too at least in some CCTV chipsets.

But its just typical, it have always been a struggle to confined my thoughts within some boundaries, the grey goo between my ears are in a perpetual stampede.

The humanoid shape detection idea seems interesting and is already in use in certain sophisticated higher end CCTV systems. I don't think dash cams have anywhere near the computer processing power for that kind of thing at this point. Some surveillance systems can now even identify individual people by the way they walk using gait recognition technology. This also includes face detection with biometrics along with full body humanoid shape detection. So we just need to wait for this tech to become available in cheapo Chinese dash cams so they can identify who or what is in front of the camera and which way people are facing. :cool:

gait-recognition.jpg

This was all just things my brain came up with after seeing my new phone have smile detection or you can trigger burst shot with a gesture.
Not that i think its the phone, i thing its a standard part of android 6.0 maybe.
Also i am sure this is not supported by current chipsets where it seen speech is about as good as it get, maybe face detection too at least in some CCTV chipsets.

But its just typical, it have always been a struggle to confined my thoughts within some boundaries, the gray goo between my ears are in a perpetual stampede.
Personally I really appreciate people who think "Outside" the box! This world has two many parrots as it is.:D

Back