Vicovation OPIA 1 VIdeo Review

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, got another review, this unit was provided by @BlackboxMyCar so I would like to thank them. I want to just list some pros and cons but of course as usual the meat of the review is in the video below.

This camera surprised me in good and bad ways. Features I espected to like were not so good, and features I espected to dislike were good. For the good parts, the sony starvis cmos sensor with 1080p60 looks great. At night the video still looks very crisp and well defined. This is only a single channel camera but I still thought it looked good. Another thing I really liked is it comes with an adhesive mount plus a suction cup mount. I like when companies do this because that means its easier to install the permanent adhesive mount in your main car, but you have the suction cup mount for when you might want to use it in another car such as a rental car or friends car on a road trip. The camera also has wifi that works great, never had any issues in testing to watch or download files and change the settings of the camera.

The cons surprised me. I have never used a vicovation camera and I was surprised by the parking mode, because it let me down. It is a $200+ camera but does not offer buffered parking mode, which could be excusable but even the motion based parking mode has flaws. when it senses motion it starts recording almost instantly, but the problem is when motion continues, it does NOT record continuously. there is a short gap between parking mode clips. thats a big flaw to me, its not a nail in the coffin because this camera is still much cheaper than cams from thinkware or blackvue and with better video quality, but its note worthy.

I also was disappointed by the mounts included. the adhesive mount uses gray adhesive which is mind blowing that companies still do this coming into 2018. I absolutely do not accept gray adhesive anymore, I WILL replace it, so its basically just a hidden cost to me. Also the suction cup mount is just a generic low quality mount. There are many better suction cup mounts that are compatible from generic companies or also @Street Guardian USA that work much better.

Over all I think the camera has cons, but the pros outweigh them if you are ok with the mounting solutions and the so-so parking mode. The video quality is above average for a camera with the features it has.

With the box saying 802.11N and that having a theoretical max speed of 600 mbits one start to think ???? why dont i get faster transfer speeds.

With the box saying 802.11N and that having a theoretical max speed of 600 mbits one start to think ???? why dont i get faster transfer speeds.
Yea I didn't look too into it because I did think it felt slow but then I remembered these clips are almost twice the bitrate and 3 times the length of the clips I'm use to transferring from the thinkware cams so it sort of made sense so I brushed it off.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Dash Cam Reviews 5
Back