Video cable

Would you buy video cable for A119?

• Total voters
First off all, thanks all for you kind help. It's great knowing there's a community of people eager to help others just for the benefit of the community.

>> Panasonic AVH-270BT or Pioneer AVH-270BT? <<

You're right. My mistake; it's a Pioneer AVH-270BT

>> You can find 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm plug cables (search "3.5 mm 4 pole male to male cable") but I wouldn't recommend it due to potential wiring problems <<

What's the purpose of having a av/out port on the camera if it's almost impossible to attached to another video device?.

Does this devices conforms to a standard?. I mean that's one of the great benefits of standards, to make interoperability possible, right?

In my field of work (IT) I deal with standards almost every day, and believe me, there's all sort of dongles, adapters, gender changers, etc. that allows you to connect all sort of devices, if they conforms to an standard.

So I'm still hoping to find a cable to connect my head unit to the A119 without breaking my head or my pocket.

>> Thought I saw somewhere that for the AV video to play the parking brake had to be on. <<

I have installed a bypass device wichs allow me to watch video without parking brake off. works great.

regards

You can find 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm plug cables (search "3.5 mm 4 pole male to male cable") but I wouldn't recommend it due to potential wiring problems <<

What's the purpose of having a av/out port on the camera if it's almost impossible to attached to another video device?.

Does this devices conforms to a standard?. I mean that's one of the great benefits of standards, to make interoperability possible, right?

So I'm still hoping to find a cable to connect my head unit to the A119 without breaking my head or my pocket.

I misspoke. The wiring of the 3.5mm to 3.5mm plug should be pin to pin. The problem with AV outputs is that different manufacturers use different wiring configurations to get to the same outputs - for examples see http://pinoutguide.com/Home/av_jack.shtml. I have not researched the standards, but usually that is just the way it is with competition until a de facto standard wins out, or if common needs drive a committee or government to create a standard.

The closest thing to a common standard (de facto or otherwise) for AV inputs and outputs that I have found is the use of color coded RCA phono connectors.

If your starting from scratch it is important to find a cable blessed by the unit manufacturer or knowledgeable vendor, or an experienced user of your unit. Often the unit manufacturer or vendor will offer a compatible cable as an accessory. The more difficult alternative is to obtain your unit's connector pinout and try to find a matching cable. A third alternative would be to connect by trial and error (definitely not recommended). Using the wrong cable might damage the devices on either end if the grounds are not wired properly (but hopefully not). Like Norm of "This old house" use to say, measure twice and cut once.

This is old analog composite video TV technology and has been used for decades to connect a multitude of devices (camcorders, VCRs, DVD players, cameras, games, etc.) to TV type displays. That's why even today most TVs still have these inputs (backwards compatibility) even though it is analog Standard Definition.

Once you find a suitable cable, then look for a good price. I still think that a cable from your unit terminating in color coded RCA phono jacks is the way to go. That gives you access to the signals if things don't go as expected and will make it easy to connect something different in the future. If no one else pops up with a good answer before you solve this problem, you will be the expert.

Hope this helps.

even if the pinouts were the same for the camera and the head unit it's probably not going to be the best solution even if there is a cable that will connect the two as it's unlikely to be 75ohm video cable and will pickup noise in the video

even if the pinouts were the same for the camera and the head unit it's probably not going to be the best solution even if there is a cable that will connect the two as it's unlikely to be 75ohm video cable and will pickup noise in the video

I think that's arguable as the video signal is baseband, i.e., not on an RF carrier, and has a bandwidth of under 7 MHz. Each of the three cables should be individually shielded coaxial cables as are the RCA connectors. Granted a long cable in an electrically noisy environment is not desirable. But it might be worth trying unless someone offers a better solution.

the automotive environment is notorious for interference, might work ok on the bench but in a car I don't think you'd be so lucky, individually shielded coax is no problem, but you're unlikely to find that in some off the shelf 3.5mm male to male interconnect a couple of meters long

I concur with the concerns that @jokiin expressed about the potential for a noisy signal using the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable with no shielding. Perhaps another reason to use shielded cables with RCA connectors. Of course there is always risk that something won't go right.

Page 34 of the AVH-270BT online manual says for the AUX input to use the Mini-jack AV cable CD-RM10, by Pioneer I presume, and shows the hook up. Search "CD-RM10" to find that or a compatible cable. It terminates in RCA jacks. Example: http://www.autointhebox.com/fm12-pioneer-cd-rm10-ipod-adapter-cable_p2178.html. For the A119 output side see post https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/video-cable.21275/#post-298099, and/or search "Apple iBook av cable" for a cable compatible with the A119 AV output. If and when you get the cables, try to cross-check the unattached cable wiring, particularly the ground wiring, against any info you might have including the above mentioned post. Find attached a photo of my A119 AV output cable (modified Apple P/N 8434G/A). I paid $10 including shipping. The modification was mechanical not electrical, to allow the 3.5mm plug to seat properly into the depression around the A119's AV output jack. You probably will want to look for a substitute that will seat properly.

Let this settle a while and see if anything else pops out.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Modified_Apple_AV_cable.JPG
    Modified_Apple_AV_cable.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 42
Thanks again 5cowbells

I think the CD-RM10 + Apple P/N 8434G/A could definitely work. My only concern now is how I'm going to run this cables with this RCA connectors trough my car .

Does the modified Apple cable works for you?. Do you have an A119 connected to external video device?

regards,

Thanks again 5cowbells

I think the CD-RM10 + Apple P/N 8434G/A could definitely work. My only concern now is how I'm going to run this cables with this RCA connectors trough my car .

Does the modified Apple cable works for you?. Do you have an A119 connected to external video device?

regards,

You'll have to figure that out. For reference, my cable is 5 feet long.

The genuine Apple cable works great (superior quality) but as a stated in the previous post, the back-shell of the 3.5mm plug (the part of the connector covering the cable connections) had to be filed down a bit next to the pins so it would fit into the depression around the A119 AV jack, else it would not seat properly (see the photo attached to previous post today). So if you don't want to go through that pain, find a substitute. You can still do that by searching online "Apple iBook av cable") as a start. Vendors like to cite the cable application, even if it's not made by Apple.

I personally don't use a display at all while driving, by preference, even the LCD which I can't read anyway without some serious contortions. I use the output sometimes at home to connect a 32" HDTV, mostly for a quick reviews of a few files at a time and for familiarization and testing. I don't necessarily recommend that the driver use a display while driving because it's a distraction, but so is GPS etc., and that's a different discussion.

Regards.

By the way... I'm not going to buy a cable. I just had a fiddle with my polariser filter and it's no issue to stick it on, record for 30 seconds, rotate it, record for 30 seconds, etc... etc... then view the footage to see where the best rotation is for reducing reflections. That's ALL I wanted to do, but the cable would have made it easier with "live" viewing.

My DIY filter still a work in progress. At this rate I'll have spent enough to have bought a Viofo one... well, if that's ever on sale of course. :rolleyes:

By the way... I'm not going to buy a cable. I just had a fiddle with my polariser filter and it's no issue to stick it on, record for 30 seconds, rotate it, record for 30 seconds, etc... etc... then view the footage to see where the best rotation is for reducing reflections. That's ALL I wanted to do, but the cable would have made it easier with "live" viewing.

My DIY filter still a work in progress. At this rate I'll have spent enough to have bought a Viofo one... well, if that's ever on sale of course. :rolleyes:

Hi @DavidUK ,
Was just thinking about looking for info on the Porsche display after helping @elvyng with his Head display yesterday. If there's a solution there, it might be similar to his. A couple of thoughts on the filter (I don't have one yet), though it's off topic here. I looked it up once cause I couldn't understand how a circularly polarized lens would help reduce reflections. The answer I think is that it doesn't. It's the linearly polarized part of the CPL filter that reduces reflections, just like the polarized sun glasses that I can't do without in the daytime. If you rotate the sunglasses from the vertical to the normal position, you see a very significant improvement particularly in the mid-late afternoon driving into the sun. The light reflected off the road surface becomes mostly horizontally polarized and causes glare that can be partly eliminated with a polarized lens set to reject the horizontally polarized light. Same with reflections off the windshield - polarized sunglasses work there too. The point is to help set the filter, try to position your car to produce maximum glare, i.e., point your car down a road (parked on the side of course) looking toward the sun on a clear day in mid-late afternoon or if your using dash reflections, park your car so that the dash is in the sun. You might even try holding the filter up to your eye and rotate it to minimize the glare then mark the top and install. Let us know what works best.

Regards,

Last edited:
There is, and it's dirt cheap. This is what I used to capture video from the camera on my quad copter.

I have a Windows 10 - 64 bit operating system PC which is not listed. Specs not clear. One says works with windows 8 and one says won't work with Windows 7 - 64 bit. Based on your experience, think it will work with my PC?
Thanks,

I have a Windows 10 - 64 bit operating system PC which is not listed. Specs not clear. One says works with windows 8 and one says won't work with Windows 7 - 64 bit. Based on your experience, think it will work with my PC?
Thanks,
To be honest I haven't connected it to my PC. Only my android phone via OTG adapter.

You can probably use any standard 3.5mm to RCA adapter/cable, just might not match the colors. I do have a battery powered LCD screen I use for flying FPV with my quadcopters, so I could test, but honestly I don't see the need. If you need to play back footage on the scene of an accident, the police officer won't get into your car. Better to just take out the sd card and plug it into a OTG adapter and play it on your smart phone or tablet... Or laptop if you have one with you.

@Gibson99
I just bought and hardwired to my car,a A119s from Spytec.It works fine-no problems.A friend has a laptop and a tablet that I can use to view my cams video.Can you reccomend a OTG adapter from Amazon that I should buy.Post a link to it for me.

Thanks

According to my order history, this is what I ordered in 2012. Still works but it's a little loose in the plug in my note 3, but that could be because it's a micro USB 3 port on the phone, which is wider than just a regular micro USB.

SANOXY® Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note https://www.amazon.com/gp/B005FUNYSA
Micro USB 3:
The-new-Micro-USB-3.0-connector-and-Micro-USB-3.0-port.jpg

Back