Video of my DR550GW-2CH malfunctioning... wtf is wrong with it, or wtf am I doing wrong?

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States

So I got this dash cam last week, feature wise I love it but every single day I have had to reformat the card because it locks up on start up. One day I have had to reformat it THREE times because it keeps doing this. It isn't recording, it doesn't allow me to restart it with the side button, you can't connect to it via wifi.... it just sits there, doing nothing.

My settings turn off all of the LED lights, so in normal operation the security light would be off.

Reformatting every time this happens is not a solution, considering it happens at least once a day. I can not be expected to carry three memory cards in my car, or my laptop with me to reformat when I am working....

If this can not be solved I will likely have to send the entire thing back which means unwiring ALL of the wires I have hidden in my car.

I do not have experience about DR550GW, but for your case that need to reformatting every day, I'd like to suggest you to take the new SD card from authorized distributor for a try.

I do not have experience about DR550GW, but for your case that need to reformatting every day, I'd like to suggest you to take the new SD card from authorized distributor for a try.
the card i am using is just the blackvue branded one that came with it. the one coming from amazon tomorrow is a sandisk ultra https://www.amazon.com/gp/B009QZH7BU so hopefully this works better. i have read others say that when they had problems, different memory cards did not help. but i dunno if they were having the same problems.

also, reformatting doesnt always help either. i just reformatted it and it says its upgrading. then it says restarting, and when it restarts it does the same thing. I am so furious I am borderline ready to just get a full refund and swear off dashcams forever, its like nothing can just F*CKING WORK. the last dashcam i ordered never even came after 2 months amazon finally just gave me a refund.

Just try once Sandisk arrives, it may work.

Take out all wired stuff would be a trouble, did you contact the seller? what did they tell you?

You are not the lucky guy? :) I do not think you should forget the dashcam.
To get the better experience, I think you need to take a bit more time on the forum and discuss with people,
So you could get more knowledge from the products, the brand and manufacturer, also learn from other's experience, then to decide which would be your next one.

That would be helpful.

Just try once Sandisk arrives, it may work.

Take out all wired stuff would be a trouble, did you contact the seller? what did they tell you?

You are not the lucky guy? :) I do not think you should forget the dashcam.
To get the better experience, I think you need to take a bit more time on the forum and discuss with people,
So you could get more knowledge from the products, the brand and manufacturer, also learn from other's experience, then to decide which would be your next one.

That would be helpful.
i have not tried contacting the seller, I am waiting to see if a new memory card helps. i have tried contacting pittasoft after their faq was of no help but they sent a broken english reply basically telling me they don't know whats wrong, contact my distributor and feel free to email them again (even tho they were of no help). if the new memory card doesn't work I will see if i can get a replacement, but i am worried they wont be able to replace just the camera, and would require me to send the entire package back.

i did read quite a few reviews, and what really convinced me on this model was "Techmoan" on youtube who did a very indepth review of this camera and it looked like everything i wanted, such as being able to monitor the cameras from my phone from inside my work while it sits in the parking lot as there is a lot of traffic and loiterers often.

sorry if I come off as so angry, i really am not super upset behind my desk haha, it is just easy to over exaggerate while typing how I am feeling about this camera.

after reformatting three times, it finally worked... but now the wifi wont work. it turns on, but my phone can not connect to its wifi.

reformatted again, would just get a red light... added new firmware... started to work. picture of the video feed all yellow, cant see anything. restart it... malfuctions wont start up again.

reformatted again, completely clear card... starts initializing card... malfuctions... all lights stuck on again.

im about ready to smash this thing with a hammer. i cant tell if its the camera thats malfunctioning or if its the memory card.

Does it has reset function to allow you to set it as factory setting? if has, please to do so.

After that, I think you could do nothing till the new SD card arrived.

BTW, keep contact the distributor who can speak good English, the better take a shot video how the reaction the camera is.

If they are responsible, I think they should be, they would base on the video give you the operation procedure, for first step to next step and see what happen, like a doctor.You can follow up the procedure and do so, let them know the result.

Base on your feedback, they will know what happened, then will tell you to resend the camera back or tell you how to make the setting.

If you want to have a happy life, please keep claim and believe the problem could be solved, angry only can goes to worse.

The above, it is the procedure I work with my customer once they raise the question, and 98% questions/problems will be solved. :)

the factory settings has to be done from your phone or your computer. that involves taking the memory card out which involves unplugging everything so you can open the door to get to the memory card slot. i have tried restoring factory defaults, blank memory card, but again multiple times in a row now it malfunctions and fails to start up.

like i said above, it did actually start once, but the camera feed color was all screwed up so you couldnt actually see anything but weird colors so i had to turn it off and back on and just like that, it hasnt started up since.

i have a 64gb micro sdxc but i dont know how to use it. i have formatted it but windows and both the recommended formatting utility wont format it into fat32 so i cant use it.

use guiformat to format into fat32.

It does sound like you might have a faulty unit though. You seem to be getting an unusually large amount of crashes and freezing!!!

use guiformat to format into fat32.

It does sound like you might have a faulty unit though. You seem to be getting an unusually large amount of crashes and freezing!!!
Yea i just hope its the card and not the camera.

If i turn it on with no sd card it starts up fine and says insert card, once i insert the card it says check sd card. So it seems like the card could be the issue. Either way im annoyed because i bought the 32gb package hoping using the supplied card would be best, the price was not worth it over the 16gb package in retrospect.

I gave up for tonight tho, ill post a follow up tomorrow.

Ok, well thats a little encouraging!
Yes, persist with the formatting and hopefully that will sort it out!

Replace it. Your cam should not be having these problems,with 2 memory cards or even the supplied one.

Still not working with a new card. Going to request replacement. Didn't even last one week before dying. It doesn't work AT ALL even when I reformat.

Make sure the cards are actually genuine ones There are a lot of fakes out there and even on Amazon and especially Ebay.

There is a test program called Htest2w that will tell you if they are ok.

64gb cards need to be formatted as Fat32 to work in the cameras.

Make sure the cards are actually genuine ones There are a lot of fakes out there and even on Amazon and especially Ebay.

There is a test program called Htest2w that will tell you if they are ok.

64gb cards need to be formatted as Fat32 to work in the cameras.
If you format a 64gb card into fat32 isnt it limited to 32gb?

What do you use to format it? Windows and the sd formatter blackvue recommends wont let me format my 64gb card. I have a 64gb micro sd card for my surface pro. All i use it for tho is storing seven seasons of the simpsons haha.

Back