view 0806 on the car's head unit? **UPDATE**

mollydog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure I read it right but right now can’t find the PDF 0806 manual file I read it on

but if I’m not mistaken, it was saying something on the lines of with a Mini HDMI to a Mini USB cable, the 0806 could be connected to an ICE head unit and with this connection one could view what the mini 0806 was capturing, on the ICE head unit, my car’s head unit can connect to a mini USB and with this connection one the head unit screen , I can view films

anyone know of this is for sure or who have done this ?

many thanks

I have now found the PDF user manual of the 0806, her is the section that say’s it can be connected to car head unit, and mine can read among other file formats, my head unit can read AVI/MOV movie files

here's the cutting from the PDF file:

Now when I connected the micro USB to the camera body (not the mount) and the other end in to the mini USB on my head unit, it showed the files then only showed the picture files but not the movie files,

so I’m not sure if I have read it right, is it saying I should be connecting a mini HDMI to the 0806 body and the mini USB to my head unit or as I have interpreted it, micro USB on camera body to mini USB on head unit?

I can see the benefits of both if it can/will work, to view on the 7” screen to be sure the angle of the DVR is pointing in the right direction ( as when I place it near my rear view mirror it is extremely difficult to view the small screen and see if its alined correctly before fixing it permanently to the screen

and the other benefit is if there is a need to show a clip to an officer of the law, a lot more clearer

when it says “AV-out cable” do they mean the mini HDMI on the camera body to a mini USB for the head unit side?

no, HDMI is digital, USB can only handle analogue, it's a USB to AV cable, can't find a picture of it but the same type of cable was supplied by the manufacturer previously for the Jado version of the 0801

the cable you'd need would be a USB to AV, it's not a common cable

I think I now see what you mean, are they referring to this type of cable?

having the micro USB connect to the camera body, and the RCA (AV) plugs connect to the back of my head unit?

what a shame, I had the dash of my car open for a number of weeks and only screwed it all back together yesterday, if I want to go this route looks like I’ll have to open the dash up again

I have lots of these

kicking round the house, shouldn’t think it’ll be too big a job for a electronics guy to connect a micro USD at the end of one of these cable, would it jokiin?

I suppose power for the DVR (0806) would still come from the micro USB that connects to the GPS mount so only need one RCA (AV) cable to micro USB on the body of the DVR (0806), I wish I had paid more attention at electronics/computer classes when I was at school

the cable you'd need would be a USB to AV, it's not a common cable

I think it’s going to be easier than I thought, I’ve just seen this micro USB to 3.5mm jack plug on eBay going for about £3

and I already have this 3.5mm jack plug to RCA (AV) connector kicking round the house

so all being well, if I do go ahead with this, it’ll be only a 2 minute job ( famous last words)

Only question now is, will it still record at the same time as sending the signal to the head unit

As long as you know the pinouts they use you could make your own, there are some common methods that are used, whether they follow that or not I have no idea

to be honest, I’m good on ideas but lack the knowledge/confidence to actually build many of my ideas myself, so thank goodness there’s the internet to find pre made items to put together in maybe ways they were never meant for, a bit like IKIA :)

thinking about it, I think (if I get time before my holidays) I’ll go for a cable like the first image on this page, all in one micro USB to RCA to the back of my head unit, a bit like plug & play, now if only Rayman Chan came out with an optional cable that comprised of both micr USB for powering the DVR and a mico USB (for the AV out) to RCA plug at other end all in one cable that would make life easier for me, maybe also others, as there are lots of cars now with ICE head units in them this might become popular

do not quote me on his but, I think the video out is on pin 4 in the micro USB so if you wanted you could make up a custom cable that would power the 0806 and extract the video out off to another cable. I also seem to remember that you have to enable it in the settings on the 0806 and that it has an impact on the battery running time as it is using more power to provide the video out, though not an issue if on power.

John

the video out is on pin 4 in the micro USB, you have to enable it in the settings on the 0806

correct, pin 4 (null in normal USB) as AV out and pin 5 as GND

The user manual states :
CONNECT CAR DVD/NAVIGATION
When need to live view or playback on car DVD/navigation system, you
need to use the customized AV-out cable (optional accessory). This plug
into the microUSB port on camera body.

If that is the case, where does one buy this OPTIONAL ACCESSORY from, maybe the manufacturer can provide a link.

I did a google for micro USB to RCA plug and there are a few kicking about but the only only one I saw that I thought was going to be long enough for me was about £15 from eBay so having a few RCA plugs kicking round the house I managed to fine one that was about 3M long, so go on eBay and have ordered a micro USB shell (about £2) should be here sometime this weekend

I’m going to have a go at making my own connections, more than likely I’ll still be buying a completed one off ebay :)

the micr USB plug arrived this morning

how is a normal human being supposed to solder wires to these pins?
thats this idea out the window, I’ll have to do some googling to find a 2M+ long micro USB to RCA cable.

I would happily have soldered this for you but looking at the micro USB picture you appear to be missing the lug for pin 4 which happens to be the one you want

usb.png

John

scubakid

I was surprised when I took a closer look that pin 4 was missing, i noticed that Rayman pointed out that I need pin 4 and 5, don’t know why they missed it out, I have 14 days to return it and will do in the morning

If I post you my RCA cable, I’m more than happy to pay you to do the soldering and if you could supply the micro USB, I’m just not sure where to get a micro USB shell from
my email is swanfast at zetnet dot co dot uk

Instead of trying to solder onto those pins I'd look at getting a full cable and just cut the other end off and solder the RCA connector on instead

That was going to be my next option joking, but luckily scubakid has offered to do the soldering for me, I know if I did cut two cables, one with RCA at one end and the other with a micro USB at the other and made a connection that way, it would work but at the back of my mind I’d know it was’t as good as it could be and I’d not be happy,

unless there was absolutely no other way round it, this would niggle me for some time

That was going to be my next option joking, but luckily scubakid has offered to do the soldering for me, I know if I did cut two cables, one with RCA at one end and the other with a micro USB at the other and made a connection that way, it would work but at the back of my mind I’d know it was’t as good as it could be and I’d not be happy,

unless there was absolutely no other way round it, this would niggle me for some time

I wouldn't cut two cables, it's very hard to replicate the factory finish you'd get on a Micro USB connector, I'd just use the one Micro USB cable and put female RCA connectors on the end of it, I think that would make for a cleaner result but each to their own

just those few words has put me in the right direction, I was looking at it from completely the wrong angle, instead go getting a long micro USB cable and fitting/connect a RCA plug at the other end (which would be a lot easier for me), I was first looking for one with both (micro USB & RCA) on a long cable, with out much luck,

so then, as I already have a long cable with a RCA plug, making my life harder than it needs to be by looking for a micro USB plug (which for someone of my abilities is hard to solder), sometimes I can’t see the wood for the trees :)

I'm still taking scubakid's offer and let him do the soldering as I know he will do a much better job of it then I would

thank you jokiin

UPDATE

thanks to the kindness of scubakid, I know have the micro UB to RCA plug cable

whent to the car and connected the micro USB to the DVR (0806) and the RCA plug to the AUX RCA plug on the head unit, it has two AUX IN RCA plugs and it didn’t work on either,

one of the RCA AUX IN plugs is used for the reversing camera, have I got it right:

it does say to get AV out, the cable needs to plug in to the micro USB on the 0806 body

temporary setup

the head unit with its two AUX IN

keeps telling my there is no signal

I swapped over the connections (not shown here) and still same “no signal”

even connected to my TV with the RCA plug and with the same results

is it what I’m doing or could it be the manual? and the connection needs to be to the HDMI plug on the 0806 and not the micro USB?wrong

Back