Viewing DC footage on my TV

My two previous Chromebooks;
ASUS C200 (2012)
ASUS C423 (2015)
Had standard size HDMI output connections.
When I got the HP 14a-na-0023cl (2017) I had to buy an adapter, (USB Type-C to HDMI.
When I insert the SD Card from any 4K dash cam into the Chromebook it plays perfectly smooth if it’s MP4 Format & H.264 Codec on the built in screen, and any of my Samsung TV’s.
If it’s H.265 Codec I get audio only, and a blank screen.
This is why I’m anti H.265 lol
Your Chromebook is too weak to play H.265 and that's to be expected since it was low end for the time. Unfortunately that's what happens when you go for the low end :/ Have had friends over the years recommend a laptop to buy for them and first thing I ask is budget.

Couple of them have complained that they can't play this or it's too slow, and I said well you said your budget was 300-400 AUD. I did warn you , I said to them lol. It's the same with cell phones...

Last edited:
Your Chromebook is too weak to play H.265 and that's to be expected
If I was buying one now, I would want to know that it can play 8K AV1 HDR10 codec files. Probably not needed this year, but they are coming. No need to be able to display at 8K, you need super eyes to see the difference, but being able to play, zoom into and pan around an 8K video would be desirable for the future. AV1 and HDR10 should be considered essential, and H265 a basic, even if you don't intend to use it!

If I was buying one now, I would want to know that it can play 8K AV1 HDR10 codec files. Probably not needed this year, but they are coming. No need to be able to display at 8K, you need super eyes to see the difference, but being able to play, zoom into and pan around an 8K video would be desirable for the future. AV1 and HDR10 should be considered essential, and H265 a basic, even if you don't intend to use it!
This. HDR10 is a given these days as it has been around for a while along with HLG, Dolby vision etc but AV1 is the big one incoming. True about 8K, those TVs haven't taken off at all really because the differences aren't discernible to most people but to future proof then step up your spending budget i would say

Back