Viewing GS9000 video on PC....help for a noob?

PeteH

Reaction score
I just got a GS9000 yesterday and am still, er......, getting to grips with it. In particular I'm having trouble playing back vids that are being recorded.

The camera: well I've left the camera settings pretty much as it came out of the box. It is set to record 1920x1080 @ 30fps.
The computer: is running 64-bit Windows 8 Pro, I can't remember the exact spec but it has something like 8GB ram and an 8-core processor, so pretty powerful. I'm attaching the camera to it and moving files from the camera onto the hard disk. I'm then disconnecting the camera. I'm seeing a mix of .MOV files and .MAP files.

First of all I tried the software that came on the CD. I followed the instructions to install it (which was basically just copying it across from the CD). The name of the executable to run was CARDVC2.EXE. I ran this software up no problem and can see my movies (both video and audio are fine), along with the GPS track and info about speed/direction etc. However the application launched itself in the middle of my screen, only takes up about a half of the screen, and cannot be resized. So I am recording these HD videos and the player is straight away scaling things down to something like half size. Furthermore, when I take a capture of the screenshot, the result is not a 1920x1080 image as I'd expect, but a 671x375 image.

At this point I just double-checked that the MOV files were OK, and they were. I was able to run them through the Quicktime Player, Windows Media Player, even a copy of Corel Videostudio, all of these applications played back the movies fine, but obviously video/audio only (1920x1080) and no metadata. Ironically I was well impressed with the video quality for such a cheap camera.

Aside from the scaling problem, the CARDVC2 program itself looked a bit noddy, so I started looking for something else. I came across recommendations both on these forums and on the camera vendor's website (FoxOffer) for a program called the Datakam Player (DATAKAM PLAYER.EXE). I did not install any codecs. The fact that the movies played in e.g. Quicktime and even in CardVC2 led me to believe that any necessary codecs were already installed. Plus there is a note on the viewer's web site (http://www.registratorviewer.com/) to say that codecs were not required in Windows 8.

Anyway, I fired this app up and at first glance it looked much better. I loaded the MOV files, it grouped them together nicely and I saw nice charts of the speed, and accurate trail on map pane etc. Hoever when I hit the "Play" button.....nothing. The viewing rectangle just stayed black. I have fiddled around with various settings on this, including rebooting the pc, but to no avail.

Okay, sorry for that lumbering description. Now my questions:

• does anyone know if it is possible to change the screen size / capture size on CARDVC2.EXE? There seems little point my recording in 1080i if the player is effectively going to destroy the information
  • has anyone had the same problem with the DATACAM PLAYER? This software actually looks pretty decent, both functional and useable, and I don't think I'm that far off getting it working
  • does anyone have any recommendations for other software that might work? This is a whole new world to me so I'm not at all sure what choices are out there. I mean, the .MOV file is obviously in a standard format, and I'm assuming that the .MAP files most be pretty standard as well, given that both CardVC2 and the Datacam player can read them. So are there other apps I could try?

Many thanks for your patience.
Pete

Update

I've got the DATACAM PLAYER working by downloading the current BETA version (build 24-04-2013) from http://www.registratorviewer.com/download_en.html. I suspect off the back of this CARDV2 is going to get the push totally, but I'd still be interested if people can recommend any other pieces of software. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
black screen in registrator viewer indicates a codec problem, you could either download the K-Lite codec pack, or you can download the new beta he has there which he says has the required codecs included, it's a lot bigger than the regular version of registrator viewer but perhaps easier for a lot of users

When connecting it to PC you get 3 options. MSC, Charge and open.
- MSC will cause the PC to detect it as a storage device and allow you to view/copy files on the internal memory andinserted MicroSD card
- Charge just charges the camera, not allowing any other functions
- Open allows you to record and use the camera menus as if it's connected to like the car charger or something.

Besides MSC, you can take the card out and put tt in the SD card adapter to read it directly from the PC, I prefer this method as it's much faster than through USB 2.0 controller and doesn't require the camera to be turned on.

But I guess you already had that figured out.

I never tried the software on the CD as it gave an error so I used RegistratorViewer instead. You need to install K-Lite codec pack for the video to work. If GPS data is also included it will show the acceleration sensor data, and speed from GPS on graphs underneath the video. Aswell as your position on a Google map (or you can choose different map services) on the right.
I thought there was an option to go full screen but I don't remember.

For taking screenshots or cutting portions of the video, I never do it with RegistratorViewer as you can do it in VLC directly or AVIDemux. :)

I like the registratorviewer program. Never had an issue with it on Windows 7, but I already had the k-lite mega codec pack installed ;)
To go full screen - top left, click on "View" and there is an option to go full screen in there

Cheers :)

Thanks all for the responses. I got the RegistrationViewer program working when I installed the beta that's up there at the moment (it has crashed once so far but generally holds up well).

I looked at installing the k-lite codec but got a bit concerned at all the other stuff it wanted me to install (toolbars etc.). I thought I read that K-lite wasn't required, but I was wrong - that's only with the beta, the "production" version still requires them. But I still don't understand why, if the proper codecs are not installed on my computer, the movies play ok in Quicktime & Media Player.

To clarify there was never an issue with resizing RegistrationViewer, just with CardVc2.

Do I take it from the comments so far that RegistrationViewer is the software I should be using?

PeteH said:
Thanks all for the responses. I got the RegistrationViewer program working when I installed the beta that's up there at the moment (it has crashed once so far but generally holds up well).

I looked at installing the k-lite codec but got a bit concerned at all the other stuff it wanted me to install (toolbars etc.). I thought I read that K-lite wasn't required, but I was wrong - that's only with the beta, the "production" version still requires them. But I still don't understand why, if the proper codecs are not installed on my computer, the movies play ok in Quicktime & Media Player.

To clarify there was never an issue with resizing RegistrationViewer, just with CardVc2.

Do I take it from the comments so far that RegistrationViewer is the software I should be using?

you can do a bare minimum install with K-Lite that leaves out all the garbage, registrator viewer doesn't use Quicktime and needs other codecs to run, it is the best out there at the moment though I feel

Back