Vignetting on A119s with CPL filter

This got me, I just purchased the A119S V2 and got one of these with the 3rd version of the lens, supposedly the A129 lens, and the Viofo CPL for the A119S I purchased is causing vignetting in the corners. I purchased through Amazon and requested a return and they told me to simply keep the item and they would refund me which is nice. It appears the A129 CPL is not yet available and you can't backorder it. Hopefully the A129 CPL when it arrives is what we need for our 2018 stock A119S V2 units.

This got me, I just purchased the A119S V2 and got one of these with the 3rd version of the lens, supposedly the A129 lens, and the Viofo CPL for the A119S I purchased is causing vignetting in the corners. I purchased through Amazon and requested a return and they told me to simply keep the item and they would refund me which is nice. It appears the A129 CPL is not yet available and you can't backorder it. Hopefully the A129 CPL when it arrives is what we need for our 2018 stock A119S V2 units.

Total refund? Oh good for you. For me the current status, they sent me a replacement CPL filter, but turns out it's the same, vignetting still there. So I requested a return. Now shopping for another cam.

Total refund? Oh good for you. For me the current status, they sent me a replacement CPL filter, but turns out it's the same, vignetting still there. So I requested a return. Now shopping for another cam.

I ordered via SpyTek on Amazon and when I went to return it the Amazon website said "unable to return" (mind you I got it yesterday) and when I looked at what the return policy from SpyTek is it simply linked to Amazon's policy. This means they use Amazon fulfillment and returns so I knew something was wrong. I did the chat and Amazon just said "we don't do returns on that item, we simply reimburse you for the total cost and you can do whatever you wish with the product"... I guess it isn't worth it to them for the return? I've had that happen once or twice with sub $5-8 items on Amazon which I guess makes sense vs. Amazon spending on the return costs, but I'm surprised for a $15 item. I don't think SpyTek was involved at all. I'm sorry to "waste" a product and that SpyTek won't get their money, perhaps its Viofo's fault for not alerting resellers about the changes to the A119S V2 this year but I bought a Viofo product that both Viofo and SpyTek said works properly with the A119S V2 (which is what I bought this week) and well, it doesn't. Pretty happy with the outcome and waiting for the A129 CPL which I'll buy.

A week ago VIOFO support told me "the new filter will be available tomorrow, we will send you ASAP". Contacted them today, the CPL is still under development... The funny thing, they offered me to do a firmware update to "temporary solve the issue". Seriously... Am I missing something? Can theoretically a firmware update (I guess they meant 2.6) solve physically blocked by the filter light to get into the lense?

Yes, but in theory, how such firmware would fix this problem?

Yep the firmware would have to crop the image which is easy but 1) reduces your resolution even further when this was already just a 1080p device and 2) further reduces the field of view which again was already pretty narrow compared to other cameras. Less than ideal.

Such solution would lead to losing video details, right?
well not in the remaining area, but yes you would lose the edges. you could argue that as long as they don't overcrop the image you won't lose more than the CPL was already blacking out with the vignetting in the first place. bottom line though is if you put the CPL on the new A119S V2 with the A129 lens you will lose part of the image, to vignetting or to cropping from special "temporary" firmware if you complain to Viofo. They need a CPL that is engineered to have a bigger glass surface on the same size mount and I'm assuming that with such small frames for that glass it is more difficult to manufacture which maybe is why there is a delay.

well not in the remaining area, but yes you would lose the edges. you could argue that as long as they don't overcrop the image you won't lose more than the CPL was already blacking out with the vignetting in the first place. bottom line though is if you put the CPL on the new A119S V2 with the A129 lens you will lose part of the image, to vignetting or to cropping from special "temporary" firmware if you complain to Viofo. They need a CPL that is engineered to have a bigger glass surface on the same size mount and I'm assuming that with such small frames for that glass it is more difficult to manufacture which maybe is why there is a delay.

They already sell A129 CPL on viofo.com. if it's the same lense indeed, I don't see why there is a delay, until less the filter physically doesn't fit A119S.

I didn't realize they were scaling it to 1080p, that will lose detail in the remaining image. better to just live with the vignette as someone said if you really need to use the CPL. i'm leaving mine on until i get the A129 version.

They already sell A129 CPL on viofo.com. if it's the same lense indeed, I don't see why there is a delay, until less the filter physically doesn't fit A119S.

they don't sell it yet, it's listed but unavailable for sale because they are reworking it after a small handful went out with some type of issue.

You are right, they were available a couple of days ago, now they are gone.

I ordered via SpyTek on Amazon and when I went to return it the Amazon website said "unable to return" (mind you I got it yesterday) and when I looked at what the return policy from SpyTek is it simply linked to Amazon's policy. This means they use Amazon fulfillment and returns so I knew something was wrong. I did the chat and Amazon just said "we don't do returns on that item, we simply reimburse you for the total cost and you can do whatever you wish with the product"... I guess it isn't worth it to them for the return? I've had that happen once or twice with sub $5-8 items on Amazon which I guess makes sense vs. Amazon spending on the return costs, but I'm surprised for a $15 item. I don't think SpyTek was involved at all. I'm sorry to "waste" a product and that SpyTek won't get their money, perhaps its Viofo's fault for not alerting resellers about the changes to the A119S V2 this year but I bought a Viofo product that both Viofo and SpyTek said works properly with the A119S V2 (which is what I bought this week) and well, it doesn't. Pretty happy with the outcome and waiting for the A129 CPL which I'll buy.

Oh so you meant returning the "CPL ONLY". I thought including the camera. They said the same thing when they sent me the replacement, I asked if I should return the CPL filters, they said "No need, I can do whatever I want, and if I want to just dispose it". :D

I have the same issue but the vignetting is so tiny that I don't care.

Back