Vignetting !!!

Webb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Blackvue dr650gw-2ch
I just received a new 650 and noticed a purplish color around the picture,anyone have the same problem ?

2z3tp3o.jpg

2iu2lw6.jpg

8zgr45.jpg

Does it happen 24/7 or only after awhile?

I've seen some reports of Blackvue videos turning purple after they over heat while in operation for more than an hour.

Last edited:
this isn't an overheating issue, dashcams are not like regular video cameras, the image quality is adjusted to work over a very wide set of circumstances and the ideal settings to bring the results we need often means the colours are not realistic, this is normal

Try tilting the camera down so you don't have quite so much sky in the image. It will give you a better exposed image and might even provide more accurate colors. In your first screen shot example you have almost two thirds sky and one third road /car hood. It should be the opposite of that. Even if the purple tinge doesn't go away entirely your videos will have more shadow detail and a better appearance.

40/60 rule is best.

40% sky maximum and 60% road/hood/dash

Your instinct usually steers you to tilt up to remove the hood but this is not good for autoexposure / white balance etc.

I've found that it depends on the particular vehicle but, yes, 40/60 ish seems just about right. The message here is to not have quite so much sky in the image before focusing on odd colors in the image or vignetting issues.

The building is distorted as well.

rr8bwn.jpg

I think I didn't have to focus more on the road than on the sky to get accurate colors,If I lower the camera more it will show the dash.

Yes, you'll see more of the dash but the camera will not be trying to expose so much for the bright sky, therefore overcompensating by making the road and buildings so dark. You want the camera to prioritize exposure for the road.

BTW, have you seen the lens distortion in other images?

I'm getting a new front & back camera from where I bought from.

No it happens right away.soon as the camera is on,the 2nd pictures is 1 minute from where I live.

I don't know what the explanation for the distortion is.

Edit: Come to think of it, I believe I may have seen a distortion or two like in @Webb's photo above. It was after hitting a bump in the road when a dash camera was running. I don't recall which cam that may have been with or which processor it was running on but it was an older camera.

Last edited:
I just received a new 650 and noticed a purplish color around the picture,anyone have the same problem ?
Yes, I would like better, but I don't see this problem, so all Blackvue

You have the same problem ? All Blackvue have the same problem ?
This is not a problem, this is incorrect exhibited color balance / white balance, partially inflated contrast

This is not a problem, this is incorrect exhibited color balance / white balance, partially inflated contrast

Well I showed the picture to the store I got it from and they will replace it.I saw lots of footage on YouTube and never seen like mine.

Back