Viofo 119s - 2017

Understand firmware updates are a necessary evil for product improvement, but problems due to corrupted firmware should be rare. Yet reloading firmware seems to solve a number of problems like freezing displays and the X-box problems, indicating that firmware corruption had occurred. Maybe the more important question is "What is causing the A119S firmware to become corrupted to begin with?".

VIOFO said it's very hard to reproduce/replicate but the Engineers think the latest firmware fixed the freeze.

Lets just say I have never had a device, simple or complex that would automatically reset all settings.
Handful of times when there are big changes - maybe - with plenty of warnings before...
I've been around software development for a while and it is definitely not normal.

Ever flashed a computer's BIOS? Everything is returned to default settings.

True. But it's also true that most of the settings I change from the defaults are setting where the available options are unlikely to change. They might add more resolutions, but I really doubt the list of options for Loop Recording, Motion Detection, GPS, Speed Unit, Sreen Saver, Date/Time, or Time Zone ever will.

I acknowledge this is something the maker may not choose to address for reasons that make sense to them, but they might at least be interested in knowing that some users consider it an inconvenience.

the settings you mention need to have an initial choice made, the firmware updates are also what we load on brand new cameras during production, we choose sensible defaults that work for the greatest number of situations with the minimum amount of user intervention required

Ever flashed a computer's BIOS? Everything is returned to default settings.
As a matter of fact, yes. Multiple times on my ancient Gateway and more current Asus, Dell and my brand new work machines (desktop and laptop - both HP)
Also dozens of other products TVs, DVDs, A/V receivers, routers, switches, printers, DSLRs, garage door opener, Wifi access points, etc.
Never once the settings reset.
But enough of this nonsense... If the dashcam makers think it's normal - so be it...

It's for the best yes, nobody is being lazy it's for maximum stability.

Tell me who has the same problem? Personalized the video recorder set the date, time ... and after three four days of automatic set off the settings and return to the factory settings.

Install a new version v1.6 but did not solve the problem.
Well to be on topic, I have the same problem and posted about it here before. Viofo support wasn't much help, they told me to plug in the power supply directly to the camera, which didn't fix the issue.

To be honest, the A119s hasn't left the greatest impression for me. If it wasn't for the users of this forum, I would have had no support and chucked this camera a while back.

So yes, you are not the only one. I just got into the habit of leaving an extra 5 minutes early to check/adjust the settings if need be.

Well to be on topic, I have the same problem and posted about it here before. Viofo support wasn't much help, they told me to plug in the power supply directly to the camera, which didn't fix the issue.

To be honest, the A119s hasn't left the greatest impression for me. If it wasn't for the users of this forum, I would have had no support and chucked this camera a while back.

So yes, you are not the only one. I just got into the habit of leaving an extra 5 minutes early to check/adjust the settings if need be.

Two things come to mind, related to old problems with the A119, but I'm not sure either one is applicable here:

1) @Curtis54 experienced problems with the date resetting and I think he figured out that the RTC (real time clock?) rechargeable button battery (soldered in) was not holding a charge well, and consequently the date kept resetting to default, which was the release date of the firmware. I'm not sure about the rest of the settings.

2) When Viofo released V 2.0 software for the A119, there was second piece of firmware called "the Loader" that had to be loaded into the camera before the real firmware. If the "Loader" firmware did not get loaded properly, settings would revert to default once the camera was turned off. I'm not aware that the A119S users have ever had to deal with "Loader" firmware, so this may not be applicable.

Two things come to mind, related to old problems with the A119, but I'm not sure either one is applicable here:

1) @Curtis54 experienced problems with the date resetting and I think he figured out that the RTC (real time clock?) rechargeable button battery (soldered in) was not holding a charge well, and consequently the date kept resetting to default, which was the release date of the firmware. I'm not sure about the rest of the settings.

2) When Viofo released V 2.0 software for the A119, there was second piece of firmware called "the Loader" that had to be loaded into the camera before the real firmware. If the "Loader" firmware did not get loaded properly, settings would revert to default once the camera was turned off. I'm not aware that the A119S users have ever had to deal with "Loader" firmware, so this may not be applicable.

1) If date keeps resetting, the RTC battery is defective. Contact your seller for 1 year warranty service.

2) Loader is only needed if you're having trouble installing the firmware. (rarely used, not required) I have a copy of the A119S boot loader if someone needs it. Again all it does is force the firmware to load if you can't update. (very rarely needed)

As a matter of fact, yes. Multiple times on my ancient Gateway and more current Asus, Dell and my brand new work machines (desktop and laptop - both HP)
Ah, now I understand. Build your own boxes and and you'll see that BIOS flashes aren't as user friendly as ones put out by OEM manufacturers. Custom built computer BIOS flashes restore all settings to default. The a119s takes just a minute or so to change the settings back to your liking after firmware upgrade. A non-issue in my opinion.

Back