Viofo 119s - 2017

icestar2000

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Tell me who has the same problem? Personalized the video recorder set the date, time ... and after three four days of automatic set off the settings and return to the factory settings.

Install a new version v1.6 but did not solve the problem.

I already responded to you over at the Viofo forum. Let me know how it goes.

Only "issue" I have is that every time you update the firmware, it resets all the setting to their defaults, so you have to plod your way through the menu restoring them.

Only "issue" I have is that every time you update the firmware, it resets all the setting to their defaults, so you have to plod your way through the menu restoring them.
That's normal.

That's normal.

That is a very bad default. How would you like your phone or computer do the same? :{(

Novatek SDK isn't as advanced as a full computer OS. Stability is more important than convenience in this case

Novatek SDK isn't as advanced as a full computer OS. Stability is more important than convenience in this case
? I have seen plenty of other Novatek cameras that don't reset?

Many firmware updates for devices out there ask you to reset back to factory defaults after updating.

Pretty sure you have a possibility of firmware corruption, memory leaks or over all settings be overlapped and wonky if you try to auto migrate old settings from the previous firmware.

Again stability is more important than convenience. If it could be done confidently/perfectly/guaranteed I'm sure it would be done this way already.

Time Zone, Frequency, and a couple other settings only take a minute to setup. Stability is most important.

I've seen plenty of others that don't even get updates, any many that do only get trivial changes or adjustments

depends what's in the update and how things are configured as to what needs to be reset and what doesn't, when there are menu changes, file handling changes etc resetting can become a smart thing to do, if you try and preserve settings and the memory addressing of saved settings has changed it can cause issues, resetting these is the right thing to do, the amount of things that need to be adjusted is very minimal in the scheme of things

from a support aspect having everything reset with an update can be a good thing also, it's a good way to be sure that the customer has a known config as a starting point when troubleshooting

Lets just say I have never had a device, simple or complex that would automatically reset all settings.
Handful of times when there are big changes - maybe - with plenty of warnings before...
I've been around software development for a while and it is definitely not normal.

I've upgraded more device firmware / BIOS than I can remember over the years. It's very common for instructions that recommend resetting to factory defaults after the upgrade.

If you like to jailbreak your iPhone you have to restore to defaults to achieve the most stable install possible without running into strange quirks.

I choose stability over convenience especially when it's just three or four things to set. Time zone -8 , 60hz Frequency, NTSC, MPH, Date Format done and done

Last edited:
Lets just say I have never had a device, simple or complex that would automatically reset all settings.
Handful of times when there are big changes - maybe - with plenty of warnings before...
I've been around software development for a while and it is definitely not normal.

Equivalent of flashing ROMS on Android phones. If you don't clear the cache and Dalvik-cache via recovery after flashing, the new ROM may not even boot.

Many firmware updates for devices out there ask you to reset back to factory defaults after updating.

Pretty sure you have a possibility of firmware corruption, memory leaks or over all settings be overlapped and wonky if you try to auto migrate old settings from the previous firmware.

Again stability is more important than convenience. If it could be done confidently/perfectly/guaranteed I'm sure it would be done this way already.

Time Zone, Frequency, and a couple other settings only take a minute to setup. Stability is most important.

True. But it's also true that most of the settings I change from the defaults are setting where the available options are unlikely to change. They might add more resolutions, but I really doubt the list of options for Loop Recording, Motion Detection, GPS, Speed Unit, Sreen Saver, Date/Time, or Time Zone ever will.

I acknowledge this is something the maker may not choose to address for reasons that make sense to them, but they might at least be interested in knowing that some users consider it an inconvenience.

If it can be improved it will be, but stability always comes before smaller inconveniences.

Understand firmware updates are a necessary evil for product improvement, but problems due to corrupted firmware should be rare. Yet reloading firmware seems to solve a number of problems like freezing displays and the X-box problems, indicating that firmware corruption had occurred. Maybe the more important question is "What is causing the A119S firmware to become corrupted to begin with?".

By the way, @icestar2000 did you resolve the problem that started this thread? If so, how?

Back