Viofo A119 Mini - Single channel 2K mini dashcam with Wi-Fi

I haven't tested wakeup on the A139, maybe that does just turn off? When it stops raining...

On the A229, it is currently a little difficult to wake it up again, needs a hammer! But the A119 Mini will definitely get woken up again by a reasonable impact, needs more than just wind, but a collision will certainly wake it.

I haven't tested wakeup on the A139, maybe that does just turn off? When it stops raining...
Tested, and I can't wake the parking timer expired A139 up by knocking it, or even taking it off its mount and shaking it. It only responds to its power button or the ACC signal.

So that is another advantage of the new cameras :)

Thanks for the information. One more question, does the Mini has auto HDR option like A119V3? I ask in the context of the legibility of plates at night.

Thanks for the information. One more question, does the Mini has auto HDR option like A119V3? I ask in the context of the legibility of plates at night.
No auto HDR, just a user selectable WDR Off/On setting.

Oh, this is unfortunately bad news and means that the A119v3 will perform better at night.

I'm sure the likes of VVS will soon be on the case once released.

Oh, this is unfortunately bad news and means that the A119v3 will perform better at night.
The HDR used in the A119 V3 is still in development, I'm sure it will be added to the Mini, and other Viofo dashcams, if it reaches production quality.

Currently it has advantages and disadvantages, overall it is not a great improvement, although it is excellent in certain circumstances. It needs some more work, mainly by Novatek, who make the processor, rather than Viofo.

It has already appeared in the A139, so maybe it will get added to the Mini for the first firmware update, we will have to wait and see.

I saw that Vortex Radar reviewed the HDR in the A139 in his recent A139 Review Video, and ended up turning it off. It is not really ready for use yet, maybe we need to wait for Starvis 2 image sensors before we get HDR that really helps?

I agree.

My issue, from my testing, is the double image it produces, similar to increasing to 60fps. Whilst it seems to improve night time number plate recognition, it is at a cost.

Whilst it seems to improve night time number plate recognition,
It does if the plates are in the main headlight beam and would otherwise be overexposed, but the ones you want to read are often in the part of the beam that is blocked to avoid dazzling the oncoming drivers, and it can make them worse due to using slower shutter speed in the darker areas, thus more motion blur.

On my new car, with LED headlights, I've noticed the old halogen beam pattern that focused mainly on the nearside pavement up ahead has changed. It looks like my LED has a wider spread so number plates on oncoming vehicles is completely washed out as you say.

I get the impression LED has a more accurate cutoff area so white to black has a more distinct line.

I have mine set to the Low Bitrate Mode, with a Viofo HK3-C hardwire kit providing power while parked. Low Bitrate Mode provides continuous recording of both video and audio while parked, so is guaranteed never to miss anything. I have the "Enter Parking Mode Timer" set to 90 seconds, so that it doesn't switch to parking mode if I restart the engine after stalling, or if I turn off the engine while waiting at red lights. I have the "Parking Recording Duration" set to 3 hours, which covers any stays in supermarket car parks, but doesn't bother recording continuously overnight while parked at home. After the 3 hours has expired it will go to sleep, but still monitor the g-sensor for impacts. If the vehicle is hit then it will wake up and start recording, it takes about 10 seconds to wake up fully.
My model has firmware: V1.0.20220519 and this function does not work.
The sensitivity settings of the g-sensor tried different ones. :unsure:

During normal recording, video files are blocked when the DVR is moved, even if the g-sensor is set to the lowest sensitivity.
I had to turn it off completely so that all video files would not be blocked.

Last edited:
My model has firmware: V1.0.20220519 and this function does not work.
The sensitivity settings of the g-sensor tried different ones. :unsure:
My A119 Mini was quite sensitive even on default sensitivity, and I noticed the function has also stopped working on the A229, so you are probably right.
I'm sure Viofo intend it to work, so I don't know why it has stopped working - send in a bug report if you haven't already!

The Viofo A119 Mini is the latest dashcam in the Viofo A119 series, not really an upgrade to the A119 V3, but a miniaturized and higher specification version.
May I have one question?
How to switch video codecs between H.264 and H.265?
When you press and hold the microphone button, as on older models, nothing happens.

May I have one question?
How to switch video codecs between H.264 and H.265?
When you press and hold the microphone button, as on older models, nothing happens.
I don't believe that Viofo supports H265 any more.

The advantages of H265 are not worth the licensing cost!
I'm still looking forward to the free licenced AV1 codec arriving... no sign of it yet though.

Back