VIOFO A119 V3

Please explain. What do you mean with „everything can be done“? Did you modify the firmware and the issues in the dark are gone?

Please explain. What do you mean with „everything can be done“?
Yes - I changed the firmware and everything was readable.
I continue to edit the firmware!
Then I will ride day - night.
I would like VIOFO to fix the firmware, there you just need to coordinate the exposure and shutter speeds of the camera.
The default exposure is very long, so everything doubles, smears.

Yes - I changed the firmware and everything was readable.
I continue to edit the firmware!
Then I will ride day - night.
I would like VIOFO to fix the firmware, there you just need to coordinate the exposure and shutter speeds of the camera.
The default exposure is very long, so everything doubles, smears.

thank you for your explanation. Did you have the flickering in the darkness, too?

I have the same issues. When driving at night and fps is set to 60, i have massive flashes in the video. When setting fps to 30, everything is ok.

When driving at day everything looks great, in 60fps and 30fps.

Here are 2 example videos, weather was really bad.

60fps:

30fps:

Is there a possibility to do a firmware downgrade? Where can I download the previous firmware?
make sure you have it set to 60Hz and not 50Hz
50Hz is default

50Hz is default

Good suggestion, but actually, the electrical frequency in Germany is 50Hz, not 60Hz like here in the USA. Aside from that there seems to be something else going on here with this issue that has nothing to do with electrical frequency. It happned to me too. Personally, I thought at first this problem was PWM (pulse width modulation) but that theory proved wrong too. Hopefully, a firmware update can fix it.

Last edited:
Very odd that mine doesn't have this issue that I've noticed.

Good suggestion, but actually, the electrical frequency in Germany is 50Hz, not 60Hz like here in the USA. Aside from that there seems to be something else going on here with this issue that has nothing to do with electrical frequency. It happned to me too. Personally, I thought at first this problem was PMW (pulse width modulation) but that theory proved wrong too. Hopefully, a firmware update can fix it.
the issue is your running 50Hz then at 60FPS

yeah the first is 60fps HDR on and the second is 30 fps HDR off
mine is not as bad as yours is though

video 60fps with HDR off

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2020-08-21-20h45m19s617.jpg
    vlcsnap-2020-08-21-20h45m19s617.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 25
  • vlcsnap-2020-08-21-20h45m44s902.jpg
    vlcsnap-2020-08-21-20h45m44s902.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
the issue is your running 50Hz then at 60FPS

yeah the first is 60fps HDR on and the second is 30 fps HDR off
mine is not as bad as yours is though

video 60fps with HDR off

Personally, I experience the low light banded flashing issue with the camera set to 60 fps @ 60Hz, not 50Hz, and with HDR off. I'm not seeing the flashing issue in your video.
The double exposure HDR problem is a different issue. I'm not quite sure we're talking about the same thing.

Last edited:
Personally, I experience the low light banded flashing issue with the camera set to 60 fps @ 60Hz, not 50Hz, and with HDR off. I'm not seeing the flashing issue in your video.
The double exposure HDR problem is a different issue. I'm not quite sure we're talking about the same thing.,
there is some small ripple in the video

Here is the second option, here I forgot about the night fix the firmware !! :mad:
1440P_30FPS_50Мбит/сек
HDR_on
EV=-1/3

it's night outside, but it's like day for me

xxx.jpg
And this is option 3, I did not check the night video.
In this weather, everything is readable.

Last edited:
this screen shot HDR was enabled

I'm a bit puzzled. This conversation began when you advised a member in Germany to set the frequency on his V3 to 60Hz, except that the correct frequency setting for electric incandescent lighting in Germany is 50Hz.

But now you are talking about HDR. The HDR discussion was about a different issue where HDR switched on causes unregistered frames resulting in a double exposure and motion blur during the day. I provided an example of that issue in THIS post earlier in this thread.

50Hz is default

Those screen shots are not from your video where we don't see any flashing bands. I do see what are talking about in your screen shots but I believe that may be yet a different issue typical of many dash cams shooting in very low light. Having had a lot of experience with many different dash cams going back ten years, I've seen similar subtle banding and, of course, lots of noise in very low light video captures. Some banding is due to the way the rolling shutter in digital cameras works when the AGC is turned up to the max in low lighting. It "may" be when HDR is enabled, it affects the AGC function of the camera. Anyway, like I said, I see what you are trying to show us but I do think it is a separate problem at this point.

The problem I've seen in some of my footage and what @Tyestick demonstrated in the video clip he posted is a very pronounced flashing and banding, not something subtle you would need to look closely for like in your shots.
The banding part of the problem suggests that it too could be related to the rolling shutter but something else appears to be going on as well.

Either way, I do hope @viofo can address these imaging problems in the next firmware update. The V3 is otherwise an excellent camera!

Last edited:
I will try it out and set it to 60Hz. But I cant imagine, that this will help with the flickering in the darkness. Btw, I do not use HDR.

I will try it out and set it to 60Hz. But I cant imagine, that this will help with the flickering in the darkness. Btw, I do not use HDR.

I agree. I don't think changing the frequency setting to 60Hz will affect this problem. That setting synchronizes your camera to the frequency cycle of the electrical supply in each particular country so such things as incandescent street signs don't flicker and Germany has 50Hz power. This problem with flashing and banding appears to be something entirely different. I also don't think the HDR setting has anything to do with this particular problem either. Most likely there is a hardware glitch embedded in the DSP or it just needs a firmware fix-it.

But who knows? Let us know if changing the frequency setting does anything worth reporting.

Last edited:
I tried it. Flickering is not gone when using 60Hz and 60fps. While using 30fps everything is fine. What I really dont understand: why does the flickering and the black stripe only occur at night? During daylight the picture is superb!

Choice in the menu of the DVR and that's what we get !!
In my country, 50 hertz is used.

Do not use 60 frames, there is an error, every second frame is duplicated.
VIOFO didn't fix the problem!

Last edited:
Choice in the menu of the DVR and that's what we get !!
In my country, 50 hertz is used.

Do not use 60 frames, there is an error, every second frame is duplicated.
VIOFO didn't fix the problem!
What kind of lightbulb is that? Also, is your power frequency something other than 60 Hz? Try and take a picture of the moon, and see if that flickers too.

Back