VIOFO A119 V3

Hi.

I'm new to the Dashcam World.
Researched the A119 v3 for a while, bought it some days ago, upgraded the FW to 2.00 and started testing.
During the day with plenty of light i'm very happy with the results.
But unfortunately my cam shows this flickering in low light situations as well, when set to 60fps/120fps.
The test footage on YouTube at 1080p60 for example looked totally fine.
Even after downgrading back to FW 1.03 the flickering still occurs.
Tested with default settings as well as with individual settings.
Nothing fixes the issue.
One more thing.
Everytime i change the settings from 30 fps to 60fps/120fps the angle of the lense shifts.
At 30 fps the angle is lower and at 60fps/120fps the angle is higher.
Is it possible that my cam is broken?
Thinking about sending it back and getting a replacement unit for comparison.

Maybe one or some of you can share his/her experiences.
I'm already in contact with Viofo as well.
I'll keep you posted.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.

Last edited:
Welcome to DCT @Dash_vs_Evil :)
There's been recent discussion on these issues starting about halfway down THIS PAGE. No cam is perfect but the v3 is one of the better choices today.

Phil

I wonder what's causing this flickering for some mine is fine and I'm running at 60fps.

I don't think the cause has been found yet, but since it doesn't happen with everyone it could be a bad batch of parts in building the cams. It could also be a batch of parts where only some are bad with the rest being OK. This would explain why two different people in the same location experience different results when using the exact same settings and firmware on their cams. I can see no other likely explanation but I'm no expert so I could be wrong ;)

To help find whether my idea may be right, can those who are experiencing flickering post the purchase date of their cams as a reply to this message please?

That will make it easier to compile and compare information, and see if there is one common factor involved regarding build batches.

Phil

Everytime i change the settings from 30 fps to 60fps/120fps the angle of the lense shifts.
At 30 fps the angle is lower and at 60fps/120fps the angle is higher.
Is it possible that my cam is broken?

It seems to be a firmware bug, the same thing happens to me. I reported that bug some time ago in this post.

Last edited:
Mine was purchased 28th July 2019.

I know I photo'd the serial No before putting the sticky pad on but can I find it ...........

on the box is X001133O8D

I don't think the cause has been found yet, but since it doesn't happen with everyone it could be a bad batch of parts in building the cams. It could also be a batch of parts where only some are bad with the rest being OK. This would explain why two different people in the same location experience different results when using the exact same settings and firmware on their cams. I can see no other likely explanation but I'm no expert so I could be wrong ;)

To help find whether my idea may be right, can those who are experiencing flickering post the purchase date of their cams as a reply to this message please?

That will make it easier to compile and compare information, and see if there is one common factor involved regarding build batches.

Phil

Hi Phil.

Ordered my A119v3 on the 18th of September.

Update

I got news.
First of all I doubt that it's a firmware bug.
I downgraded to 1.03 and the issue is the same.
Tested every Resolution and it's all the same.
But I noticed one more thing.
As soon as I enable WDR/HDR the picture flickers as well, even with 30 fps.
Now I'm pretty sure my unit is broken.
I'm about to order a second one and hope that this one will be okay.
But I'd really like to test the new firmware, Valeri is talking about.
Just dunno when it'll be available.
I can return my cam to Amazon till the 21st of October, though I'd prefer it not taking that long.
Oh and by the way I'm not sure about the picture quality in general, especially at night. Compared to the YouTube Clips I saw it seems not as good.
Like I said I guess I didn't won the lottery with my first unit.

Later.

Last edited:
Update (29th of September)

Hello.

Today i had the first chance to test the night quality for real.
I noticed another interesting thing.
So far i thought / it looked like the 30 fps footage was okay in low light / dark conditions.
But i was proofed wrong.
When i was driving through a kinda well lit village it looked okay, until i left the lit area into almost complete darkness.
The picture immediately became totally washed out (looked more like 720p) and guess what...... it flickered as well.
That can't be normal.
As well as it can't be normal that there are users without any problems at all and then there's us who suffer from this absolutely annoying low light issues.
How can these problems be fixed with a new firmware (which i'm waiting for to test)?
Viofo sent me a mail this morning saying they are trying to fix the problems with Sony.
The most interesting part though "we attached the new FW2.1 for testing".
Right away i turned on my PC and was about to download the FW when i had to realize.......they forgot to attach the file. *facepalm 3.0*
I never thought i'd run into this dilemma.

When i was driving through a kinda well lit village it looked okay, until i left the lit area into almost complete darkness.
The picture immediately became totally washed out (looked more like 720p) and guess what...... it flickered as well.
Can we see a bit of video? (Including the flicker.)

Can we see a bit of video? (Including the flicker.)
I tried to upload/attach a clip but it's always saying the file is too big.
I'm not familiar with the restrictions.
Is there a way to post/upload videos?
Help is appreciated.

I tried to upload/attach a clip but it's always saying the file is too big.
I'm not familiar with the restrictions.
Is there a way to post/upload videos?
Help is appreciated.
Put it on Youtube, publish it unlisted if you don't want it public, and then post the Youtube link here.

Google drive is also a possibility if you want to share an original video file, but most people use Youtube.

Put it on Youtube, publish it unlisted if you don't want it public, and then post the Youtube link here.

Google drive is also a possibility if you want to share an original video file, but most people use Youtube.
Thanks for the tips.
Before I use other platforms I just wanted to make sure if there's a way right here.
Will upload some examples later and share the link.

Have a good one.

Before I use other platforms I just wanted to make sure if there's a way right here.
No, the forum doesn't accept video files, it doesn't have the storage or bandwidth. Photos work OK, for videos Youtube are the experts and this forum does a good job of displaying the Youtube links.

I'd be interested to get a flickering raw file to play on my rig.

Later on I'll post a Dropbox link to one of my OK night files. Let's rule out the PC.

Good morning.
I uploaded a few 5 sec clips.
It's definitely enough to see the mess.
Just trimmed them with Dashcam Viewer.
The quality seems to be the same compared to the raw file.
I hope the link works.

The settings are:

- High Bitrate
- WDR/HDR off (but the issue is the same when on)
- CPL on (doesn't make a difference)

No matter the settings the flickering occurs with 60 fps (now even with 30 fps) or HDR/WDR on.

You can see the different lense angle at 30 and 60 as well.

Hope it helps.

As mentioned earlier. A 3 min raw file at night:

>> Krem A119 V3 Night Sample <<

You may want to turn your sound down if you don't like the Moody Blues :)

Resolution - 2560x1440P 60fps
Bitrate - High
Loop - 3 minutes
Video - MP4
EV +0.0
HDR - Off
Parking Mode - Off
G Sensor Off
LED On
Frequency 50Hz (UK standard)

CPL fitted

Samsung Evo Plus U3 128Gb

Interesting! You have a real flickering, I have horizontal stripes. But only with 60fps. When recording wirh 30fps everything is fine.

As far as I can remember I get vertical stripes in low light conditions when I turn on HDR.
The A119v3 is a mystery to me.

Back