VIOFO A119 video quality (bottom corners too dark).

Does your A119 suffer from mentioned image degradation in bottom corners?

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
OK
I will wait for a sunny day to check.
Maybe I'm wrong.
I make comparison to a video shooting on a 40$ camera installed on my previous car.
Maybe it's a difference on the windshield inclination ( different reflection on the dashboard ), position of the camera, etc

You need to point the camera below the horizon, especially when driving into a setting sun, otherwise it will expose for the sun!
You are from UK so I consider your english is at best level compared to mine.
Are you sure that the center of the image should be below horizon? Using your idea this means the camera is pointed up, will be more sky in the image and most advices until now are to point camera a little down to catch some car hood or dashboard, in reality a little more road. The sky is supposed to be lighter compared to road and your advice will reduce brightness at the bottom of the image.

enjoy,
Mtz

Prove it. Upload simultaneously shot video from both dashcams to Mega or similar site. Talk is cheap, video is better.

Viofo films at 1440p and Anstar ( the 40$ cam ) at 1080p 30fps . The Anstar's stand was broken and I accidentally touched the lens , that's why the video is blurry on the center.

You are from UK so I consider your english is at best level compared to mine.
Are you sure that the center of the image should be below horizon? Using your idea this means the camera is pointed up, will be more sky in the image and most advices until now are to point camera a little down to catch some car hood or dashboard, in reality a little more road. The sky is supposed to be lighter compared to road and your advice will reduce brightness at the bottom of the image.

enjoy,
Mtz

as I read it, that's exactly what Nigel is suggesting. pointing below the horizon = more road, less sky. English is a finicky language. ✌️

Viofo films at 1440p and Anstar ( the 40$ cam ) at 1080p 30fps . The Anstar's stand was broken and I accidentally touched the lens , that's why the video is blurry on the center.

The Anstar seems to have narrower lens which would make it sharper.

The a119 has more detail and a wider fov, go to 00:12 and read the signage. The grass is blurry for some reason but apart from that the image is very good.

On Viofo the image it seems to be foggy on bottom half of the image
I put this thing on reflection because position of the camera.
I will wait for CPL filter to see if I'm right or not

The image from Anstar look more natural.
Look at the color of the buildings

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 32
From the screen shot it looks to be around 90 degrees horizontal
I don't believe that.
When will stop the rain ( looks like it will rain all week ) I would put Anstar camera on the same line with viofo to better see the view angle

P.S. And no I do not advertise for Anstar camera. I try to figure out if is a problem with my Viofo camera or not.
I compare with other records from dashcam members and image from my Viofo seems to be foggy , and not so sharp like other video

Thank you jokiin for your activity on dashcam forum

My Viofo has focus issues as well, right bottom corner seems to be out of focus compared to left one. Not only that, I had really bad image quality today, set EV to +2/3 but still too dark, noisy and with lack of details. Camera absolutely didn't manage changes in light conditions, like coming from dark area into a bright area and vice versa. There is no excuse like "many cameras are having issues at sunset" etc. Last attempt tomorrow, I'll point the lens all the way down to see if there would be any difference. If not, I am not buing any more of them. And not having that polarising filter, although promised ages ago, is not hepling either.

My third A119 has arrived today, will fit it as a rear one in my car tomorrow. Hope there will be no issues with it. The one I am using at the front has a slight problem with the right corner being out of focus. Overall though, I have to admit that it is a good camera for the money. I also improved the image quality by pointing the camera lens down as suggested by some forum members - I am happy it worked (although the dashboard covers almost 1/3rd of the whole image, it is not disturbing in any way when viewing the footage on my PC). Now I need VIOFO to finally release that promised filter and sort out continuous power distribution for timelapse recording when parking.

As you can see in the picture the left corner is still too dark owing to windshield curvature, but there is nothing I or Viofo can do about it. I hope I will also get rid of the reflection once that filter is installed. Overall quality is satisfactory for purposes I need it for.

Last edited:
My third A119 has arrived today, will fit it as a rear one in my car tomorrow. Hope there will be no issues with it. The one I am using at the front has a slight problem with the right corner being out of focus. Overall though, I have to admit that it is a good camera for the money. I also improved the image quality by pointing the camera lens down as suggested by some forum members - I am happy it worked (although the dashboard covers almost 1/3rd of the whole image, it is not disturbing in any way when viewing the footage on my PC). Now I need VIOFO to finally release that promised filter and sort out continuous power distribution for timelapse recording when parking.

As you can see in the picture the left corner is still too dark owing to windshield curvature, but there is nothing I or Viofo can do about it. I hope I will also get rid of the reflection once that filter is installed. Overall quality is satisfactory for purposes I need it for.

I installed my A119 yesterday and I am not too pleased after viewing the footage today. I honestly thought it would be a lot more clear. For some reason my footage has a dark circular outline on the bottom left and right. It's like the camera is catching footage of it's own lens housing or something. The camera position right now captures all of my hood and none of my dashboard. Is there some kind of setting I should change to make the recording sharper? Also, is the CPL filter ever coming out? Seems like they've been promising that for months now.

I installed my A119 yesterday and I am not too pleased after viewing the footage today. I honestly thought it would be a lot more clear. For some reason my footage has a dark circular outline on the bottom left and right. It's like the camera is catching footage of it's own lens housing or something. The camera position right now captures all of my hood and none of my dashboard. Is there some kind of setting I should change to make the recording sharper? Also, is the CPL filter ever coming out? Seems like they've been promising that for months now.

There is a thin film on the camera lens, did you remove it ?

Yes. I removed it earlier this morning. The footage I was examining was around 5 PM and I was never driving directly into the sun. I will try to get screenshots posted later tonight.

...and sort out continuous power distribution for timelapse recording when parking.
Please could someone explain... I thought there were three modes: 1/ continuous recording; 2/ time-lapse; 3/ motion detect.
As I understand it, time-lapse does not require motion detection but keeps recording at the set interval no matter whether there is any motion or not.

So, @Bob Black - so long as your A119 has power from the car it will keep recording in time-lapse mode unless there is a fault with your unit.
Or are you saying it only records for a while?
Another member said time-lapse worked for 12 hours or so here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...cording-when-enabled.21892/page-2#post-288909

If your car's power switches off after a few minutes parking, that is not a Viofo issue. You need to get either a power pack supply...

...or a battery discharge prevention device: https://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

Here's what I'm talking about. Not sure why those corners are dark and why there's that circular outline.
dash cam.JPG

Back