Viofo A119S V2 Supercap Exploding

Was your dash on a wooden board or a circuit board when it popped?
I worked on microfilm and printing equipment for 14 years.
I only had 1 capacitor blow its top in all that time so it is unusual.

unusual yes, but now i know that is not impossible.

i dont know how something can happen, im not electric worker or something similar...

unusual yes, but now i know that is not impossible.

i dont know how something can happen, im not electric worker or something similar...
Is the item sticking up behind the box being charged or plugged in or have batteries in it?

i will not use this camera in my car. too much afraid of fire.
because of this fire risk the camera for now is not even in my house.
It's not a fire risk, these super capacitors don't contain enough energy to start a fire.

The pop was when the safety cap burst and released pressure that had built up inside.

the black one on the box is the 119S.

i make the picture after i have look into the box, to have it on my eyes to make sure that it dont get on fire.

the other item is something like a glas bottle with some copper coins in it.

It's not a fire risk, these super capacitors don't contain enough energy to start a fire.

The pop was when the safety cap burst and released pressure that had built up inside.

i dont know, i see some videos of exploding batterys. i am afraid, because i planed to instal the cam in a brand new car, 1 month old... for now i have to use the mobius a little bit longer...

i dont know, i see some videos of exploding batterys. i am afraid, because i planed to instal the cam in a brand new car, 1 month old... for now i have to use the mobius a little bit longer...
Batteries contain many times more energy, the small risk of a fire from batteries is one reason for using a super capacitor dashcam where the chance of a fire when not plugged in is zero.

I just had a close look at the picture you put up with the box and dash cam on top.
I zoomed in on the dash cam and that doesn't appear to be an A119S dash cam and I could see a usb connector.
Your photo appears to show a usb connector on the back, not the side.
The usb connector on the A119S is on the side.

what are you talking please?
of course this is a 119s v2.

the usb connector is the connector from the gps mount which is on the back of the camera. yes the cams connector is on the side. but when the gps is butted to the cam, there is a second usb on the top of the gps.

now is late nearly 11 at night in germany.
i have to stand up at 4:30 in the morning.

tomorrow i wil make you some proof pics that is a viofo a119s v2

The A119s has 2 USB connectors, 1 on the "top" of the GPS mount and 1 on the "side" of the A119S dash cam.
The USB in your photo is on neither on the "top" of the GPS mount or on the side of the dash cam.
Your photo appears to show a USB on the front or back of some other model dash cam.

I'm just looking at the photo with the box and dash cam.
"If" that is the GPS Mount USB, it appears to me to be straight out instead of straight up.

I'm just looking at the photo with the box and dash cam.
"If" that is the GPS Mount USB, it appears to me to be straight out instead of straight up.

that's a pic of the top of the cam connected to the mount and upside down, look at the first two pics in the thread and you can see it opened up and the USB port on the side

that's a pic of the top of the cam connected to the mount and upside down, look at the first two pics in the thread and you can see it opened up and the USB port on the side
I didn’t look at it upside down.
More eyes are better than mine.
Thanks for your comment

jokiin got it.

will make proof after work in about 10 hours

here you are

Attachments

• IMG_20180822_051307.jpg
    IMG_20180822_051307.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20180822_051316.jpg
    IMG_20180822_051316.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20180822_051328.jpg
    IMG_20180822_051328.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20180822_051404.jpg
    IMG_20180822_051404.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 42
Ok. Today i have planed to instal the 119sv2 in my car. i have buy it from banggood.
the cam came to me 4 days ago.

today i was sitting in the tv room and watched tv.

then i hear a loud "POP" sound from my left side. i was looking what it could be.

the a119sv2 in the original box was on a board on my wall.

so i opened the box and it smells like electrical burning.

the camera was smelling to, so i opened the cam because i was afraid of fire.
inside i see a brown liquid and one of the supercaps was open. i have clean it up with some qtipps and toiletpaper.

i have never used the camera, even all the 3m stickers are untouched.

today i have contacted banggood to send me a new camera or give my money back.

do somebody see something before on an absolutely unused camera?
Those capacitors are poor quality. Any time a capacitor bulges and leaks its either under rated for power flow (6volts for 12volt circuit) or very old or counterfeit low quality copy (very common in China). That is a VIOFO manufacturing warantee issue create a Service Ticket and get a new Dashcam. If they won't do it let me know instantly.
From my A119S Troubleshooting Guide ...

Part E - Replace both Capacitors (STOP if had no experience solding)
1) with Dashcam back cover open gently detach Lens/Sensor Ribbon cable (less chance of scratching Lens)
2) remove 4 screws holding main circuit board to plastic frame.
3) gently lift top edge (sensor end) of circuit board to access reverse side of Capacitor solder joints.
4) draw diagram showing polarity of capacitors.
5) using 25 to 40watt soldering iron heat bottom joint then pull cap from opposite side to remove each wire. (experience needed)
6) trim new trim new KamCap 3.3F 2.7V SuperCapacitor -or- Nichicon 3.3F 2.7V SuperCapacitor connector leads to same length as originals. (depending on cap thickness for bending over)
7) carefully solder each new capacitor, verify polarity position twice (warning: else caps explode)
8) verify new capacitors bend into flat position.
9) reassemble Dashcam
10) Test using Bare Bones setup in Part A

Last edited:
Was your dash on a wooden board or a circuit board when it popped?
I worked on microfilm and printing equipment for 14 years.
I only had 1 capacitor blow its top in all that time so it is unusual.
I'm working in Tech sector for 20+ years, I have equipment everywhere and both Motherboards and old power supplies pop Caps about every month and its loud like firecracker, almost no smell. During a Cap explosion it will surge the circuit board and blow transistors and chips clear off the board since they can crack, usually the tiny surface mount components. Very very common on 10 year plus equipment and dried out low quality caps. High quality caps will last 20years due to improved seals.

They use Hy-Cap made by Vinatech in Korea.
Part nr. is VEC2R7335QG but there is no way to get those from them.

Mine is the newest batch of A119S V2

Nobody in my area want to repair it, even Viofo dont answer to my question.

Banggood offer me a 40€ refund. i can not accept it.
have contacted paypal, will see what will happen...
VIOFO must replace under warranty. -or- Find a small Electronics Shop or Hobbyist, its a simple job.
If you get zero response after creating Support Ticket = https://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new
click my Avatar and start private conversation.

Last edited:
can't tell which model from the pics but you can see it's one of the A119 series
guaranteed A119S, the insane position of speaker wire proves it. Also the box itself is A119S just missing the barcode sticker at top.

Back