Viofo A119S videos

It is more whiteish than grayish. That color tone I liked forever when I saw it for the first time on Itronics ITB-100HD. I would buy the A119S just because of the night „greyish” color.

Look at 0:52 how the orange color become a great white (in my opinion) and look at entire video and think it was recorded almost 4 years ago at about just 6mbps:

After that ITB-100HD I saw almost no dashcam with that nice white tone during night.

enjoy,
Mtz
Well I guess everyone has a diff preference. I like a bit more night time color to footage

I also like whiteish night color more than orange-yellow. But I don't like this grain. I like that A119 videos are rly sharp!

The question is if @viofo can improve A119S by future fw. I still don't know if I should install A119S in my car or just return it and order A119. I'm so confused. Help ffs! ;-)

I also like whiteish night color more than orange-yellow. But I don't like this grain. I like that A119 videos are rly sharp!

The question is if @viofo can improve A119S by future fw. I still don't know if I should install A119S in my car or just return it and order A119. I'm so confused. Help ffs! ;-)
@viofo Slayer that's like me I'm confused also. On the A119 day time license plates I saw so clearly but on the A119S could not read it clearly. But night time footage A119S seemed to be lighted up a tiny bit more but it was a ****ty grainy footage compared to A119. Hope Viofo will let us know if firmware updates can make an improvement Did you not feel that day time footage on the A119S seemed to be a hazy foggy playback

Last edited:
My vote is to stay with the S. Just look carefully at the A119S lens, compare with A119 lens and trust the Viofo developers team.

enjoy,
Mtz
You think a firmware update may make an improvement?

Yes, because I remember A119 also needed some firmware updates. The A119S is on firmware 1.0 now. But I think I can not guarantee because I am not working at the firmware. Just I know the IMX291 sensor is new also for Novatek engineers compared to OV4689 from A119 so the IQ will be adjusted Novatek first time, then by Viofo.

enjoy,
Mtz

So I will trust your judge Mtz and keep A119S. I must install it in my car. I hope @viofo will do good job to improve A119S...

So I will trust your judge Mtz and keep A119S. I must install it in my car. I hope @viofo will do good job to improve A119S...
I also will listen to Mtz as he is usually right

And I am listening my brain which is usually right. The brain is saying to me more than the eyes that the A119S lens is a good lens.

A119 lens vs A119S lens comparison.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks for these videos. I like the A119 during the day and the A119S during the night, but I wonder if that night vision is significant enough to sway me away from a 4MP sensor for a 2MP sensor.

That is, look at this sample night video of the A119S at 1080x60 and a A119 at 1440x30 - neither can allow seeing license plates at 00:40 or 01:35, for example. It seems that the better low light qualities of the A119S sensor and the better resolution of the A119 sensor are a wash at night, perhaps.

Thoughts welcome.

Last edited:
It will be VERY interesting if somebody can put Viofo A119S side by side with new Rexing V1N.

I personally think that the Sony IMX322 used in the Rexing V1N is better than the Sony IMX291 that is used in the Viofo A119S.

Last edited:
I personally think that the Sony IMX322 used in the Rexing V1N is better than the Sony IMX291 that is used in the Viofo A119S.

Are you only compare the image sensor or the dash-cam. Its not clear to me. For me sensor is only one part, of the dash-cam.

Personal I don't like a dash-cam with battery, where I live (I measured 165F / 75C last summer when parked). Rexing also recommend to remove the unit, when your park. (My wife will just leave as it is).
Nothing bad about Rexing.

It will be VERY interesting if somebody can put Viofo A119S side by side with new Rexing V1N.

The V1N sell more than $100 USD without GPS, but the hardware(lens, sensor, chipset) is not same level as A119S.

We have done some comparison with dashcam which use IMX322, actually say IMX291 can do better especially for street light.
We can see IMX322 even more brighter but have more noise and less details.

Also different company like different IQ style, I checked other company IMX291 products, they prefer very bright video at night and more noise, even the sky is bright at night.

Are you only compare the image sensor or the dash-cam. Its not clear to me. For me sensor is only one part, of the dash-cam.

* Yes, I only compare the image sensors IMX322 vs. IMX291 not a dash-cams. * Viofo A119S dash cam is much better build than Rexing V1N.

* IMX291 produce much more noise at night... What the point for better view at night if dash cam can't see License Plate numbers clear ?

Last edited:
* IMX291 produce much more noise at night... What the point for better view at night if dash cam can't see License Plate numbers clear ?

Yes, that was my question above, as well.

For example. our car was recently parked in front of a relative's house during early evening hours, then apparently hit by someone who drove from the oncoming direction, crossing into our lane and hitting the front driver's side wheel area. They left no note and just ran off. Our car had no dash cam, but we could easily deduce what happened from the impact pattern alone - we just didn't know WHO hit our car, which could have helped with paying for the extensive repairs.

In the above type of situation, we'd ideally want the dash cam to get a glance of the car which impacted us, hopefully a view of the license plate's digits.

Although the IMX291 in the A119S shows impressive low-light capabilities, being unable to see enough license plate detail so we could guess its content would make it less useful for my desired needs - in that case, I may as well just purchase the current A119 model and hope that 1440 resolution (with some lighting in the scene) could help, perhaps.

EDIT: I should add, that most side-by-side comparison videos I've seen show the A119S to seem more "noisy" overall, yet I can see license plate numbers more easily in its videos than for A119 videos of the same scene. I don't know if the A119 is set for the same 1080 resolution in those cases and/or if the 1440 setting would make a significant difference - my comment above is an open guess and question on that point.

Last edited:
I think if you dont let the IMX291 go bananas with the ISO, and shut your eyes for the noice that make in the image.
Then i still think in the lower ISO numbers it will still be better in low light than the IMX322, but as i have said before it will not be a landslide win for sure.

It Could also be that NR - 3DNR on the vifo camera is not yet dialed in for the high ISO values, we will have to see what vifo do in the months to come and what other makers do with their products.

Last edited:
I'm contemplating on getting either the A119 or A119s to replace my XiaoYi Dashcam that loses focus under the hot sun. If I'm driving mainly in the day and the streets are well-lit at night, which model should I get?

Having spent a couple of days in the lovely place that is Singapore in 1990, i think you will do just fine with a IMX 322 based product.
But the heat was also strong when i was there, so you will need a camera that dont loose focus on those lovely hot days.

Thanks for your input. Thanks to climate change, it's even hotter now. Sometimes my car will spend 6 hours under the hot sun with an ambient temperature of about 37 degrees. I think the cabin's about 50+ degrees when I start it up at times. Have the A119 or the A119s gone though such heat testing? Is the IMX 291 not as good compared to the 322 you mentioned?

@jokiin, should I wait a few months before considering to buy the A119S?

Back