Viofo A119S videos

Thanks for your input. Thanks to climate change, it's even hotter now. Sometimes my car will spend 6 hours under the hot sun with an ambient temperature of about 37 degrees. I think the cabin's about 50+ degrees when I start it up at times. Have the A119 or the A119s gone though such heat testing? Is the IMX 291 not as good compared to the 322 you mentioned?

they are chamber tested for 6 hours at 65°C

@jokiin, should I wait a few months before considering to buy the A119S?

I think it's a safe buy now

I have played a little with my new a119s, however I got some strange haze when I use the CPL lenses.:(
Today I found out the problem. There are 1 protection plastic on each side of the lens. I only removed the outside.:confused:
A least I found it by my self before I have submitted any video and had make double embarrassment.
Now I can see clear.:)
I should get my 2nd on Friday, so I will try to compare different settings against each other.
Hopeful I know the camera good enough, not to make me look like a fool.

After much consideration, I've decided to go for the A119S model due to my greater ease of seeing license plates and other details in various lighting conditions. The A119 still looks excellent, but many videos later, the newer model does seem slightly easier for me to read (even in the daytime).

Of other importance, if something hits one of our parked cars at night (i.e., per the recent incident that I described in an earlier post) and light is low, we would likely pick up more useful details of the other party due to what the Sony IMX 291 seems to be offering at this time.

Thanks for all of the open sharing and discussion which happened to help me make a decision! We are getting a unit for each of our two cars, this will be the first time we've owned dashcams. Now I need to research best ways to hardwire in our Subarus . . .

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the open sharing and discussion which happened to help me make a decision! We are getting a unit for each of our two cars, this will be the first time we've owned dashcams. Now I need to research best ways to hardwire in our Subarus . . .
I hardwired in to my 2008 impreza. I used a fuse tap like this to a 2 port power adapter like this and ran a high quality extension cable (you could just use the long usb cable provided) behind the A-pillar (careful for airbag) and above headliner. Tap in to a switched (as I did) or unswitched circuit and you are good. Some circuits power on differently and I was having a bit of an issue intermittently with my old A118C (now relegated to rear window) where it would start to power on and then not finish and not start up again depending on how the timing of my key turning went, so I added a small delay timer as well, but that is outside the norm. PM me if you have specific questions and I'll support as much as possible.

I hardwired in to my 2008 impreza. I used a fuse tap like this to a 2 port power adapter like this and ran a high quality extension cable (you could just use the long usb cable provided) behind the A-pillar (careful for airbag) and above headliner. Tap in to a switched (as I did) or unswitched circuit and you are good. Some circuits power on differently and I was having a bit of an issue intermittently with my old A118C (now relegated to rear window) where it would start to power on and then not finish and not start up again depending on how the timing of my key turning went, so I added a small delay timer as well, but that is outside the norm. PM me if you have specific questions and I'll support as much as possible.

Thank you! That matches my general expectations of what will be needed if I can't tap into a nearby, already-available source such as the rearview mirror power supply - here's an example of what I am also considering, but hoping the map lights or similar can be tapped for always-on power:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...5-diy-gen-4-dash-camera-hardwire-install.html

Thank you! That matches my general expectations of what will be needed if I can't tap into a nearby, already-available source such as the rearview mirror power supply - here's an example of what I am also considering, but hoping the map lights or similar can be tapped for always-on power:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...5-diy-gen-4-dash-camera-hardwire-install.html
A little advice, if I was you maybe try out the cam for a few days with the supplied cigarette electrical power cord before you finalize hardwiring it. You may see that maybe your expectations of the A119S are not what you expected. Hopefully you will like it.

A little advice, if I was you maybe try out the cam for a few days with the supplied cigarette electrical power cord before you finalize hardwiring it. You may see that maybe your expectations of the A119S are not what you expected. Hopefully you will like it.

Yes, thanks - I am planning to run it via messy wires at first, just to ensure it works as generally hoped in our cars.

I went this route in my Toyota Highlander as I was struggling to get the A-pillar covers off and route things properly, but on my Subaru Impreza it was super easy to route and I'm glad I went the fuse tap route.

Sometimes removing A-pillar covers is not needed. For example in Ford Mondeo (Ford Fusion in USA) it's enough to creep the cable between rubber seal and the cover. The cable slips easily behind the pillar's cover.

Quick low light test with the A119S, the correct hour was +2 hours.

Another sample taken in an early foggy cold morning.

Here's mine comparing A119S vs A119 with the latest firmware versions in both.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mtz
I have played a little with my new a119s, however I got some strange haze when I use the CPL lenses.:(
Today I found out the problem. There are 1 protection plastic on each side of the lens. I only removed the outside.:confused:
A least I found it by my self before I have submitted any video and had make double embarrassment.
Now I can see clear.:)
I should get my 2nd on Friday, so I will try to compare different settings against each other.
Hopeful I know the camera good enough, not to make me look like a fool.
:eek::eek::eek:

I tested S119a with the firmware 1.2 on a street without any street light. Hard to find here in the metro area of DC.

I change the settings between CPL on/off and WDR on/off to see what look best. 1080P/ 60fps.

CPL on / WDR on

CPL on / WDR off

CPL off / WDR off (There is a little blue reflects from the radio at the top)

CPL off / WDR on and no light on the car.

Reactions: Mtz
Back