Viofo A129 Plus Rear usb cable length? Usable with other model cameras?

markm75

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a newer viofo a129 plus model coming.

Its rumored at least with the old 1080p duo, the cable length is 6 meters long and may not be long enough for some longer suv's (2017 sorento 7 passenger here).

With the new kit it doesnt list the length.

Assuming its 6m, there is this 8m version:
However it doesnt list the plus as supported.

Secondarily, if i were to ever change camera systems, i'm wondering why this would NOT work with other camera systems (this description on this cable says things like it wont work with certain models of their own equipment). The goal was to run this usb once and if i change systems in a year or two no need to redo it, but maybe there is often no choice.

Thanks in advance for any info

The pending A139 camera use coaxial cables for the 2 remote cameras and not USB style cables, i like that cuz the new cables are just half as thick as the old style.
But if it is a permanent change or just the best solution for the 3 channel A139 i can not tell.

I even assume that the coaxial cables you can extend as it is just 2 wires, and that would be great news for people with big cars, or people that want to take a longer more convenient route down low in the car.
BUT ! i must stress it is just a guess that the new cables can be extended that easy.

I am not familiar with the "old" viofo products, the A139 are the first of their cameras i have gotten to sample.

The A129 Plus model rear cable is not compatible with the regular or Pro DUO.

The length will be 6M. I installed with the 6M in my wife's 2019 SantaFe (2020 SantaFes are shorter) with a foot or two left over. I ran the cable along the passenger side roof line.

If you are not 100% sure the provided cable length are enough, you can do a dry run with some para cord / string or maybe a extension cable.
Feed it loosely along the route you plan to take, and then put a piece of tape or other marked on the end, then you can take it out and measure how long a wire you actually need.

My car are small so i can even take the low route with the cables provided for the remote rear cameras, for the high route along headliner above doors i just need the short cable.

If it seems like the length is going to be close, do as Kamkar said and make a 'test run' with something, being sure that you're going to clear all obstacles and reach where you need to before ordering, because rear cam cables generally cannot be extended past what a manufacturer supplies either with the cam or as an accessory. They test for maximum length with reliability and that's as far as you can go.

The new A139 coax cable might be an exception to this rule but maybe not- even coax has losses over length and AFAIK nobody has tried extending it yet.

Phil

The new A139 coax cable might be an exception to this rule but maybe not- even coax has losses over length and AFAIK nobody has tried extending it yet.
The signal should go a lot further, but the cable does also have to carry the power for the remote camera, so there will definitely be a limit, especially if using an extension cable, but it is probably a lot longer than the 8' USB cable. We will find out when someone tries it!

The signal should go a lot further, but the cable does also have to carry the power for the remote camera, so there will definitely be a limit, especially if using an extension cable, but it is probably a lot longer than the 8' USB cable. We will find out when someone tries it!
This comment on the A139, sorry to the OP fir going off topic!

Viofo has probably tested for maximum length or soon will. There's some variables involved here. It looks like we're already got gold-plated connectors so no upgrading there, but there are also different grades of coax with different loss factors, and I don't know what we've got with that. My guess- and it's only a guess- is that if he sprang for the best connectors he's also got the better cabling too. Even if it can be improved that's only a small percentage, perhaps another foot/30cm at the very most, and that would need to be in one cable as there are aways small losses at the connectors.

So we're probably not going to be to get more length for the rear cam cable than he tells us is possible which is probably what he is supplying. @viofo do you have any answers for us?

Phil

Back