Viofo A139 Boot loop issue

Derekmillion

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Thinkware F770 / Vantrue N4 / Viofo A119 V3 / Viofo T130
I have recently purchased the A139 and got around to installing it in my car today.
It shipped with v1.2_0507 firmware. It records perfectly fine with just the main camera and/or rear camera attached.
However, when I connect the interior camera, it just keeps saying "recording 3 channel started" every three minutes or so.

I have tested the camera using a Samsung EVO Select 256gb memory card and a Blackboxmycar branded 32gb memory card.
The Samsung is formatted as exFAT and the BBMC as FAT32.
Both these cards were recognized by the camera and recorded properly.. until connecting the interior camera.

I thought it may be a firmware issue and downloaded and installed the newest firmware.
v1.5 was installed with no problem and the camera again recorded with the cards perfectly.. until connecting the interior camera.

I have connected to the cameras using wifi and I am able to see all three cameras, but for whatever reason, it's not playing well recording with the interior camera.
I am at a complete loss and am unable to find articles of similar problems in google searches.
Has this happened to anyone here?

Hello,

From my own experience, I am going to suggest a few things for you to try.

1. First, Mount the camera on the mount.
2. Unhook the Front and Rear Cables.
3. Make sure you know where each cable plugs into. There's a designated spot for Front Camera and Rear Cable on the "Main Unit". (See Image Below).
4. Plug back in the cables and make sure they "snap in" firmly.

I noticed with these small coax cables, that plugging them into the camera first, and then mounting camera on the mount, resulted in a loose connection. And will boot loop like you described.

5. Enable Wifi, and connect to the camera with the app. Go to settings and reset the camera settings and let it reboot.

6. Go through the settings again, and then enable low bitrate parking mode, and everything back to normal.

Proceed to test camera and let me know if things are now resolved.

1629790184435.png

Last edited:
How are you powering it?

If you are not using the correct power supply then that is quite likely to be the issue...

@Derekmillion Sounds like a cable/connector issue. You can check whether there is a reaction to when you try to wiggle the cables of remote cameras inside the connectors. If so, RMA your dashcam, it shouldn't behave like that.

3. Make sure you know where each cable plugs into. There's a designated spot for Front Camera and Rear Cable on the "Main Unit". (See Image Below).
Doesn't matter, they will work either you connect them correctly or not. Only an issue with IR LEDs not possible to turn-off or purple tint may occur, when they are swapped.

At the end of the day, if only the internal camera causes it, he can swap the cables or cameras to check which of the part is the culprit.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your replies.

Hello,

From my own experience, I am going to suggest a few things for you to try.

1. First, Mount the camera on the mount.
2. Unhook the Front and Rear Cables.
4. Plug back in the cables and make sure they "snap in" firmly.

I noticed with these small coax cables, that plugging them into the camera first, and then mounting camera on the mount, resulted in a loose connection. And will boot loop like you described.

5. Enable Wifi, and connect to the camera with the app. Go to settings and reset the camera settings and let it reboot.

6. Go through the settings again, and then enable low bitrate parking mode, and everything back to normal.

Proceed to test camera and let me know if things are now resolved.

View attachment 57938
I completed the as instructed and was met with the same outcome.
I also forgot to include in the original post that I have in no way changed any of the default settings prior to this.
The camera setting should be "fresh out the box" aside from my updating the firmware.

How are you powering it?

If you are not using the correct power supply then that is quite likely to be the issue...
I am using the supplied cigar/usb-c charger that was included in the box

@Derekmillion Sounds like a cable/connector issue. You can check whether there is a reaction to when you try to wiggle the cables of remote cameras inside the connectors. If so, RMA your dashcam, it shouldn't behave like that.

Doesn't matter, they will work either you connect them correctly or not. Only an issue with IR LEDs not possible to turn-off or purple tint could occur, when they are swapped.

At the end of the day, if only the internal camera causes it, he can swap the cables or cameras to check which of the part is the culprit.
Yeah I double checked all the cables are correct placement and firmly attached with the"snap" sound
I guess I will contact the seller and see what they in regards to this.

As stated, the camera appears to be working fine in terms of displaying imagery and wifi features etc.
It even records on both the cards I tried with the 2 channels but begins acting up when that 3 channel is inserted.
I have attached pictures. The blur on the main screen is just condensation on the outside of the windshield this morning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210824-070645-1.jpg
    Screenshot_20210824-070645-1.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210824-075058.jpg
    Screenshot_20210824-075058.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 15
It do sound like the camera is starved for power, when connecting the #3 camera make it unstable / not working.

If by #3 camera you mean the interior camera, maybe you could try use front camera + just interior camera to see in that work, and front camera + rear camera to test all 2 camera combinations.
If that also do not work with just the 2 cameras, then it might be a fault in the #3 camera

I think it should be okay to connect either wired camera to either of the outputs for those, so you might also want to try the 2 cameras out one at the time in either of the rear / interior sockets

It do sound like the camera is starved for power, when connecting the #3 camera make it unstable / not working.

If by #3 camera you mean the interior camera, maybe you could try use front camera + just interior camera to see in that work, and front camera + rear camera to test all 2 camera combinations.
If that also do not work with just the 2 cameras, then it might be a fault in the #3 camera

I think it should be okay to connect either wired camera to either of the outputs for those, so you might also want to try the 2 cameras out one at the time in either of the rear / interior sockets
Thanks, completely forgot to try that.
So as it stands right now:

Primary cam alone works
Primary cam + rear cam works
Primary cam + interior cam works
Primary cam + rear + interior does not work

I have a video of the problem with the unit

General Questions:

1. Does the Interior / Rear Camera BOTH WORK on a single cable? Let's say you test both on the "Interior Cable" or the "Rear Cable"?
2. If only one cable is working, then sounds like a faulty cord.
3. If both cables work individually then I'm leaning towards a faulty memory card....

What Brand Memory Card are you using? aS The card is too slow to handle 3 channel recording. Also have you run SDFormatter on the Memory Card? If this card has bad sectors / incompatible, a boot loop like shown in the video is very possible. I had something similar happen on my Viofo A129 Duo with a Sandisk Ultra. Incompatible Card.

Known cards to work in the A139 are Sandisk Extreme A2, Sandisk High Ensurance, and Samsung Evo Cards..

If both cables work on their own without issue, and memory card isn't issue, are you positive the 12V socket works properly (power issue).

If yes to all those, I would lean towards RMA'ing the camera.

Last edited:
General Questions:

1. Does the Interior / Rear Camera BOTH WORK on a single cable? Let's say you test both on the "Interior Cable" or the "Rear Cable"?
2. If only one cable is working, then sounds like a faulty cord.
3. If both cables work individually then I'm leaning towards a faulty memory card....

What Brand Memory Card are you using? aS The card is too slow to handle 3 channel recording. Also have you run SDFormatter on the Memory Card? If this card has bad sectors / incompatible, a boot loop like shown in the video is very possible. I had something similar happen on my Viofo A129 Duo with a Sandisk Ultra. Incompatible Card.

Known cards to work in the A139 are Sandisk Extreme A2, Sandisk High Ensurance, and Samsung Evo Cards..

If both cables work on their own without issue, and memory card isn't issue, are you positive the 12V socket works properly (power issue).

If yes to all those, I would lean towards RMA'ing the camera.

I tried the two cord individually and they appear to work when only one additional channel is added (2CH)
It's only when it's 3CH is where the boot loop issue begins.

Samsung EVO Select 256gb memory card and a Blackboxmycar branded 32gb memory card.
I have used the SDFormatter tool on both cards and both cards record properly in 1CH and 2CH.
They are unable to record in 3CH as the unit keeps boot looping.

I own both a Cellink Battery B and BBMC BI-750 both with 12v outputs.
I tried them both and was met with the same problem.

I tried the two cord individually and they appear to work when only one additional channel is added (2CH)
It's only when it's 3CH is where the boot loop issue begins.

Samsung EVO Select 256gb memory card and a Blackboxmycar branded 32gb memory card.
I have used the SDFormatter tool on both cards and both cards record properly in 1CH and 2CH.

I'd vote faulty camera...You need to RMA the unit for replacement.....See what other's say.

Yeah you probably need to contact seller ASAP and get things moving in regard to a solution or a replacement or a refund.
Something do seem to be fishy here.

I am not sure if anyone have added that particular samsung card to my what cards work with the A139 thread.

But it might well be okay, the A139 dont seem to be card fussy, it have eaten every reasonable card i have put in it.

Were they both checked still using the supplied Viofo 12V power lead though? Bit difficult to check if you haven’t another one though but at the same time im sure you don’t want to wait for one to arrive from China only to find it’s the same.

Not used a 256GB version but Sansung EVO Select 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB sizes all work flawlessly for me.

It does seem the problem is either the cam or insufficient power.

Phil

Did you try the Viofo 12v adapter plugged directly into your car's 12v socket?

Did you format the card in-camera?

Were they both checked still using the supplied Viofo 12V power lead though? Bit difficult to check if you haven’t another one though but at the same time im sure you don’t want to wait for one to arrive from China only to find it’s the same.
Yes, the only power source used was the supplied in-box cigar/usb-c adapter
This was used with the cars 12v socket as well as the two battery packs for testing

Did you try the Viofo 12v adapter plugged directly into your car's 12v socket?

Did you format the card in-camera?
Yes, supplied adapter was tested in the cars 12v socket as well as two battery packs.
The card was originally formatted using the SDFormatter tool, once inserted, the camera picked it up no problem.
I did attempt to format it with the camera once, failed, I then did it again right after, successful.

I have reached out to the seller and they are working with me to resolve the problem.

Back