VIOFO A139 Pro - Testing / Review Info

So.. maybe fixed. I tried replacing the SD card (Sandisk for Viofo) and the flickering seems to have disappeared.

Sandisk is a faster card in ATTO (benchmark) than Viofo and such problems...

So.. maybe fixed. I tried replacing the SD card (Sandisk for Viofo) and the flickering seems to have disappeared.

Sandisk is a faster card in ATTO (benchmark) than Viofo and such problems...
Which SanDisk card did you have problems with? I'm curious if it is one of the recommended SanDisk cards in their FAQ or their article.
WPS%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87(1).jpeg
IUz21EiXPKZI9Zqvj1rBlCGM-bxZBWtF1Q.png

Sandisk Extreme Pro 512GB - problems
Sandisk Extreme Plus 256GB - problems
Viofo 128GB - okay.
the manufacturer somehow limits it to his cards or I don't know. Does anyone have the same experience?

//Edit: Now tested Sandisk high endurance 128GB (not recommend) and looks fine. It seems the manufacturer should update their product page. It supports up to 512GB cards, but works with 128GB. . .

Last edited:
Sandisk cards can be very hit & miss, seems to be down to controller compatibility/implementation. The Extreme range is not rated for dashcams so no surprise you had issues with that one, it may save you some money or the loss of the card tbh as I've seen reports of those completely failing after a few months in dashcams.

edit: the problem with the sandisk 'High Endurance' vs 'Max Endurance' is likely its write speed after it has filled and needs to have old footage deleted and overwritten - this is where the true capability of the card is realised (not when its brand new and yet to be filled).

I really appreciate this thread. Very informative.

I have some doubts regarding the power consumption though.

I'm currently testing park mode (3 fps) and albeit for the first 15 min or so, the consumption showed around 2.8w (in line with the published chart for 1ch consumption), after that time, the power draw suddently dropped to 1.9w and it's been consistent for almost an hour.

Maybe my power meter isn't measuring it right but that's really lower what I was expecting. Could it be the 3fps instead of 10fps?

Sucks one have to wait 15-20 min to see the power dip while testing.

My power consumption tests run for a minimum period of 5 minutes, but many of them run 10 to 15 minutes. I keep the DC voltage at a consistent 12.6 volts during the test period which allows me to use the milliamp readings (min/max/avg) gathered by my Fluke 117 multimeter to be converted to Watts in my charts.

This morning, I ran a test with a VIOFO A139 Pro 1CH with firmware v1.1_0321 installed. I configured the parking mode to be the 3fps time-lapse parking mode. The test run (in my pictures) was over a 1 hour period, but as I wrote this post it's at 1 hour 20 minutes with the same results). I cannot reproduce your observed power consumption behavior.

Over that one hour time period, the minimum power consumption observed was 208 mA / 2.62 Watts, the maximum was 247 mA / 3.11 Watts and the average was 215 mA / 2.70 Watts. You can also see the Watts value displayed at the bottom of the DC power supply's display. I use the Fluke 117's milliamp readings for my power consumption charts since it is a highly precise multimeter.

1682439697857.png1682439721983.png1682439733873.png1682439755003.png

My power consumption tests run for a minimum period of 5 minutes, but many of them run 10 to 15 minutes. I keep the DC voltage at a consistent 12.6 volts during the test period which allows me to use the milliamp readings (min/max/avg) gathered by my Fluke 117 multimeter to be converted to Watts in my charts.

This morning, I ran a test with a VIOFO A139 Pro 1CH with firmware v1.1_0321 installed. I configured the parking mode to be the 3fps time-lapse parking mode. The test run (in my pictures) was over a 1 hour period, but as I wrote this post it's at 1 hour 20 minutes with the same results). I cannot reproduce your observed power consumption behavior.

Over that one hour time period, the minimum power consumption observed was 208 mA / 2.62 Watts, the maximum was 247 mA / 3.11 Watts and the average was 215 mA / 2.70 Watts. You can also see the Watts value displayed at the bottom of the DC power supply's display. I use the Fluke 117's milliamp readings for my power consumption charts since it is a highly precise multimeter.

View attachment 64822View attachment 64823View attachment 64824View attachment 64825

I believe you. Can't argue with that setup. Must be my measuring device.

Thank you for the extended explanation

Hello guys!
Sorry if this has been discussed, but is it posible (and recommended) to use a powerbank like Romoss PEA60 60000mAh to power the parking mode for the week-end?
Also, thank you rcg530 for you data !

Hello guys!
Sorry if this has been discussed, but is it posible (and recommended) to use a powerbank like Romoss PEA60 60000mAh to power the parking mode for the week-end?
Also, thank you rcg530 for you data !
IMO, using a powerbank in a vehicle to power any device is a potential safety hazard since it can potentially be a hazard for the powerbank's internal lithium batteries to exposed the heat levels present in a parked vehicle.

I've submitted a question to VIOFO asking which of their dash camera models support parking mode operations while the dash camera is powered by a USB power source other than the VIOFO hardwire kit compatible with that dash camera. The VIOFO documentation uses words like "recommend" when making statements about using the VIOFO hardwire kit for parking mode operations. The A119 Mini 2 user manual make a specific statement of using the hardwire kit on page 14 and then states "recommend" on page 23. In the A139 Pro user manual the word "recommend" appears on pages 16 and 25.

Well, I can't use the hardwire kit.
I own an electric car, wich has a very small lead acid battery, which is not charged while the car is off, and the car can't start without the lead battery.
A vicious circle.
So my plan was to use a powerbank, with very little stress to it, since A139 PRO draws so little, and has a USB charging cable.
Now that you mentioned, I researced and learned that heat can be a real problem. I wonder if any dedicated dashcam baterry extenders are safe. Even lifepo and lead acid batteries are not comfortable beyond 120°F.
So... no parking mode in the summer?

First of all, 99% of powerbanks doess not support pass through charging, wich is crucial for dashcams world.

Well, I can't use the hardwire kit.
I own an electric car, wich has a very small lead acid battery, which is not charged while the car is off, and the car can't start without the lead battery.
A vicious circle.
So my plan was to use a powerbank, with very little stress to it, since A139 PRO draws so little, and has a USB charging cable.
Now that you mentioned, I researced and learned that heat can be a real problem. I wonder if any dedicated dashcam baterry extenders are safe. Even lifepo and lead acid batteries are not comfortable beyond 120°F.
So... no parking mode in the summer?
LiFePO4 dash camera battery packs can be used during the summer. For example, the PowerCell 8 battery pack's operating temperature range is -10°C - 70°C (14°F - 158°F). As long as the dash camera battery pack is not mounted in a location that would be exposed to direct sunlight, it should work fine in the summer. I've been using four different dash camera battery packs in my test car during the past two very hot summers in Northern California without a problem.

@Dadi_T
I didn't want pass through. I wanted to power the camera from the 12v socket while driving, and from the stand alone powerbank while parked.

@rcg530
Google said:
LiFePO4 batteries optimal performance is achieved between 0°C and 45°C (32°F and 113°F). Beyond that fast degradation occurs.
Also, when the temperature outside is in the 90's, temperatures in the car can reach as high as 170°.

LiFePO4 batteries optimal performance is achieved between 0°C and 45°C (32°F and 113°F). Beyond that fast degradation occurs.
Also, when the temperature outside is in the 90's, temperatures in the car can reach as high as 170°.
The ambient air temp in the car can reach near 170F. The installation locations for the dash camera battery pack itself is likely to be in locations underneath a seat, in a glove box or in the trunk. The operational temp for the battery pack is likely to be cooler than the air in the passenger compartment. The ambient air temp will certainly influence the temp of the battery pack, but it's not to the point of reaching the ambient air temp as long as the battery pack's case is not exposed to direct sunlight.

I've been a tester of the VIOFO A139 Pro 3-channel dash camera for the past couple of months.

A139 Pro Features

The A139 Pro will be offered in a 1, 2 or 3-channel configuration. If you currently have a VIOFO A139 dash camera and want to upgrade to a A139 Pro, you can purchase the A139 Pro 1-channel version and swap out the front camera. The interior and rear cameras and cables are the same in both the original A139 and the A139 Pro.

The front camera's image sensor has been updated to the Sony STARVIS 2 IMX678 1/1.8" 8.29 MP image sensor. Image quality seems quite good with this new image sensor, but I'm still testing it and I'll be testing nighttime video recording soon. HDR recording is possible with any video resolution using 30fps or 24fps. There is an On/Off toggle switch setting for the front camera HDR feature. There is no "HDR Timer" feature as in the A119 Mini dash camera since the A119 Mini's HDR feature is targeted for nighttime use.

View attachment 62246

Video Resolution Options

The 3-channel configuration has three video resolution options:
  • 4K 2160P 24fps (Front) + 1080P 24fps (Interior) + 1080P 24fps (Rear)
  • 4K 1600P 30fps (Front) + 1080P 30fps (Interior) + 1080P 30fps (Rear)
  • 2K 1440P 30fps (Front) + 1080P 30fps (Interior) + 1080P 30fps (Rear)
The 2-channel configuration (Front + Interior) or (Front + Rear) has four resolution options:
  • 4K 2160P 30fps (Front) + 1080P 30fps (Interior or Rear)
  • 4K 1600P 30fps (Front) + 1080P 30fps (Interior or Rear)
  • 2K 1440P 60fps (Front) [No HDR] + 1080P 30fps (Interior or Rear)
  • 2K 1440P 30fps (Front) + 1080P 30fps (Interior or Rear)
The 1-channel configuration (front only) has four resolution options:
  • 4K 2160P 30fps (Front)
  • 4K 1600P 30fps (Front)
  • 2K 1440P 60fps (Front) [No HDR]
  • 2K 1440P 30fps (Front)
Parking Mode - Video Resolutions

All three parking modes (Auto Event Detection, Time-Lapse and Low Bitrate) create front camera video files with 2K 1440P 30FPS video resolution. The physical MP4 video file that time-lapse video content is written into has its FPS value set at 30 FPS, but the video content playback speed is the selected 1/2/3/5/10 FPS speed.

Parking Mode - Video Bitrate
  • 3-Channel - Normal Mode: Bitrate = Maximum / Resolution = 4K 2160P 24FPS (front) + 1080P 24FPS (interior) + 1080P 24FPS (rear)
    • Auto Event Detection
      • 2560x1440 30FPS 12.06 Mbps (front) + 1080P 30FPS 9.66 Mbps (interior) + 1080P 30FPS 9.66 Mbps (rear)
    • Time-Lapse - 10 FPS selected
      • 2560x1440 30FPS 26.40 Mbps (front) + 1080P 30FPS 16.00 Mbps (interior) + 1080P 30FPS 16.00 Mbps (rear)
    • Low Bitrate
      • 2560x1440 30FPS 4.06 Mbps (front) + 1080P 30FPS 3.90 Mbps (interior) + 1080P 30FPS 3.90 Mbps (rear)
MicroSD card filesystem status – Supercapacitor vs Power Button

During my testing, I would power down the A139 Pro dash camera by removing the 12-volt power being supplied to the HK3-C hardwire adapter which invokes the supercapacitor based power down of the dash camera. The A139 Pro would power down, I would remove the microSD card and then attempt to mount the microSD card on my Windows 10 laptop. Windows 10 would report "There's a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it" as it would attempt to mount the microSD's file system. I would run the "Repair drive" operation and no errors were found. The video files on the microSD were always functional/viewable.

View attachment 62295 View attachment 62296 View attachment 62297

I found that when I would power down the A139 Pro by long pressing the power button, the microSD card's file system would mount successfully (no error prompt) on my Windows 10 laptop. I presented my findings to VIOFO and I was told that the power storage capacity of the supercapacitor in the A139 Pro may (at times) not be quite enough to allow the A139 Pro to dismount the file system on the microSD card. During the power down process, the video files are first closed and then it dismounts the microSD card's file system. If the microSD card's file system is not cleanly dismounted, that's when the error prompt is presented when mounting it on a Windows 10 computer (and likely others). I just thought I would mention this in case you observe this issue as well.

To Be Continued...

I'm still testing the A139 Pro. I'll post more info when available and allowed by VIOFO. I hope to have a review video out in the next couple of weeks.
Hi,
Any chance that you have an older firmware for VIOFO A139 PRO?
I have many issues every time VIOFO updates their firmware. And it is always something new. I never had Auto detect parking mode generally working as it should, never in 5 months.
Most of the time there are no movements but the dashcam keeps recording constantly without any intervals. With the latest test firmware V1.1_0524T its even worst. Parking mode videos in Autodetect mode have been recorded non-stop in 15min intervals. Non-stop, like streaming 24/7. Autodetect? Yeah, right...

So I am keen to test older firmware but no luck finding them.

If anyone has - please share!

Hi,
Any chance that you have an older firmware for VIOFO A139 PRO?
I have many issues every time VIOFO updates their firmware. And it is always something new. I never had Auto detect parking mode generally working as it should, never in 5 months.
Most of the time there are no movements but the dashcam keeps recording constantly without any intervals. With the latest test firmware V1.1_0524T its even worst. Parking mode videos in Autodetect mode have been recorded non-stop in 15min intervals. Non-stop, like streaming 24/7. Autodetect? Yeah, right...

So I am keen to test older firmware but no luck finding them.

If anyone has - please share!
I have my own copy of the A139 Pro firmware files. These are the files that I downloaded from the VIOFO website or from their Google drive links. Use at your own risk!

1685864627627.png

Last edited:
Отредактированная прошивка v1.1_0615.На свой страх и риск.
Проверенный рабочий вариант.
Изменение гаммы,резкости.
(Осветление темных участков)
Screenshot_1.png

Last edited:
Отредактированная прошивка v1.1_0615.На свой страх и риск.
Проверенный рабочий вариант.
Изменение гаммы,резкости.
(Осветление темных участков)
Maybe it's better to write in English? :unsure:

Back