Viofo A139 pro // Wifi // station-mode // latency (reducing of)

Müller

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello.

When watching the live-stream (preferably/usually via VLC-player) one gets aware of a more or less annoying latency of min. 1sec. from real-life events to showing up of those in the stream. When you just want to record to the card and have an eye on the stream only every now and then that is not a big deal but when you want to watch your car being set on fire in real-time, that might matter to you.

VIOFO-support tells it is as it is, that latency is basically system-inherent.

That doesn´t seem to be the full truth. Because when you open VLC, go to > Media > Open Network Stream > down left corner > mark: Show more options, you get this:

dct_020423_001.jpg

There you can see that the standard caching is set to 1.000ms. I tried decreasing it down to 50ms and it worked flawlessly. The difference in the responsiveness of the videostream is huge.

But: after some minutes the latency increases again, basically on it´s own, and i haven´t found what causes this. It doesn´t reach the annoying level of the 1.000ms setting but it also doesn´t stay on the "snappy" 50ms-level.

Any ideas regarding the Whys and Wherefores?

After testing lower cache values, There is an inherent 500 ms to 1000 ms delay in transmission. I had ping running simultaneously and it report 2-3 ms delay for my connection to the camera. setting the cache value to 1000ms introduced 2 seconds of delay. The 500 ms to 1000 ms delay must be happening inside the camera hardware, and will not possible to lower it any further.

Back