Viofo a229 plus vs a229 pro

Safety_1

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hi, I'm planning to buy a dashcam for the first time and I'm torn between the Viofo A229 Plus and A229 Pro models (I'll be getting the package with a rear camera). In my city, during summers, the daytime average temperature is 35 degrees Celsius. It reaches up to 40 degrees on the hottest days.

1. In these temperature conditions, would recording in 4K pose any issues for the device?
  2. How necessary is 4K compared to 2K?
  3. If 4K recording is not essential, are there any other advantages to choosing the A229 Pro?
  4. I'm considering getting a 256 GB SD card, and I have the Sandisk Max Endurance in mind for smooth operation. However, if you have recommendations for a more budget-friendly card that works reliably, I'm open to suggestions.
  5. With a 256 GB SD card, how much recording time can I expect for both 2K and 4K resolutions?
Thank you in advance for all your recommendations.

Welcome to the forum safety_1

1: the cameras will protect them self, so if it get too hot it will shut down, ( this mostly happen if you use parking guard while parked in the sun )
Not sure about Cold, it do seem like dashcams will not start recording on really cold days, as reported by some Canadians.
The trick in the cold seem to let the camera be powered ( but not recording as they seem to not want to do that on a very cold startup )for a while to heat itself up, and then turn it off and on again to get it running now a bit hotter.

2: For EU type plates i personally feel 2K is fine, i have only tried one 4K dashcam so far, and one with a older sensor.

3: i have no personal experience with these 2 new Viofo systems, they seem to be much alike aside for the resolution on the front camera.
I would prefer the 4K system myself but as i have very limited experience with this resolution and also none at all with the new starvis 2 sensors, in SV2 sensors i have only tested the 2K one in the Vantrue N5 system i am testing.

4: 256 GB is the smallest i recommend people get for their dashcams, even if it was just a single channel i would say that, i have not tested these cameras so i am not sure what memory card in my collection would work in them, but i think Viofo on their page with the products have a list of recommended memory cards.
You of course have to be mindful if the model support this size at all, but most systems made on modern hardware seem to support it.

5: How much footage you can store depend on the bitrate / image quality / number of cameras in the system / file size, you should always use the best / highest image quality / bitrate.
It is a bit hard to tell just on specs so the best thing is to take a drive when you get the system, say 1- 2 hours, then see how much data that generated in total, and then you can multiply that up to the size of your memory card.

I dont drive very much myself, maybe something like 15 - 20 minutes daily on average, so with my systems i have footage going back a few weeks, how many hours that is in total i have no idea.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm planning to buy a dashcam for the first time and I'm torn between the Viofo A229 Plus and A229 Pro models (I'll be getting the package with a rear camera). In my city, during summers, the daytime average temperature is 35 degrees Celsius. It reaches up to 40 degrees on the hottest days.

1. In these temperature conditions, would recording in 4K pose any issues for the device?
  2. How necessary is 4K compared to 2K?
  3. If 4K recording is not essential, are there any other advantages to choosing the A229 Pro?
  4. I'm considering getting a 256 GB SD card, and I have the Sandisk Max Endurance in mind for smooth operation. However, if you have recommendations for a more budget-friendly card that works reliably, I'm open to suggestions.
  5. With a 256 GB SD card, how much recording time can I expect for both 2K and 4K resolutions?
Thank you in advance for all your recommendations.
Welcome to the club.
1.) Almost all dash cams will “never” overheat when driving with ventilation / air conditioning.
Almost all dash cams will “always” overheat in a parked car windows up, in direct sunlight with 40℃ / 104℉ summer heat.

2.) If you have the money, 4K is a no brainer.

3.) “I wish I bought a smaller TV” (said no one ever).
If you buy the Plus, you will always have thoughts in your head;
“Maybe I should have bought the Pro”.

4.) Since 2020 the list of Viofo recommended SD Cards has gotten smaller.
The list of NOT recommended SD Cards has gotten bigger.
Last week Viofo delisted SanDisk Extreme for 4K dash cams.
Viofo never “officially” provides a reason, or explanation why previously recommended SD Cards are no longer recommended.
Who’s to say SanDisk Max Endurance will be delisted next week.
If you ever report a recording malfunction, the first point of resistance you will receive is; “what SD Card are you using?”
Do yourself a favor, and use a Viofo Brand SD Card to nip that in the bud.
Using a cheap SD Card in a Viofo dash cam is like buying a luxury sports car and using 87 Octane gasoline, or buying a precision rifle, and using rusty surplus ammo, (people in the US do both of those). lol
I’ve been testing the Viofo 512GB SD Card in the A229 Pro & A229 Plus, and have experienced zero malfunctions.
When we get the next firmware update I will film performing the update with the 512GB SD Card just to see what happens.

5.) Available recording time, max resolution, max bitrate, 256GB SD Card;
A229 Pro 2-CH Rear: 6 Hours 21 Minutes
A229 Plus 2-CH Rear: 10 Hours 6 Minutes
-Chuck

Attachments

• A229 Pro 256GB 6 Hours 21 Minutes .jpg
    A229 Pro 256GB 6 Hours 21 Minutes .jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 5
  • A229 Plus 256GB 10 Hours 6 Minutes .jpg
    A229 Plus 256GB 10 Hours 6 Minutes .jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 256GB & 512GB Cards .jpg
    256GB & 512GB Cards .jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Viofo Schit List .png
    Viofo Schit List .png
    159.1 KB · Views: 4
I have a suite of 12 different 256 GB cards i test cameras with, but in car that is a slow procedure as it take me at least 3 weeks to fill such a card, so cameras i do get to test / beat on, well it take while before my list are complete.

ATM the list for the Vantrue N5 system look like this.

Sandisk high endurance - OK
Sillicon Power 3D nand ( brown / white ) - not OK
Kingston canvas go plus - OK
Kingston canvas select plus - OK
Adata High endurance - OK
Adata premiere pro - OK
Sandisk extreme PRO - OK
Trancend Ultra performance - OK
Sillicon power elite ( rainbow color ) - OK

Back