VIOFO A329 2CH - Testing / Review - RCG

rcg530

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue, Thinkware, VIOFO, Vantrue, Blueskysea, FineVu
I've been testing the new A329 2CH dash camera for the past several weeks.

Here's some general information about the new A329 2CH dash camera.
  • Image Sensors
    • Front: Sony STARVIS 2 IMX678
    • Rear: Sony STARVIS 2 IMX675
  • Lenses
    • Front: F/1.8 140 degrees
      • Included CPL filter supported - same round style CPL filter as used on other VIOFO products
    • Rear: F/1.8 140 degrees
      • Optional CPL filter supported
  • Resolutions (Front + Rear)
    • 4K 2160p 60 FPS [HDR Off] + 2K 1440p 30 FPS
    • 4K 21:9 60 FPS [HDR Off] + 2K 21:9 30 FPS
    • 4K 2160p 30 FPS + 2K 1440p 30 FPS
    • 4K 21:9 30 FPS + 2K 21:9 30 FPS
    • 2K 1440p 60 FPS [HDR Off] + 2K 1440p 30 FPS
    • 2K 1440p 30 FPS + 2K 1440p 30 FPS
  • Rear Camera
    • Coaxial Cable – Same cable 2.8mm as previously used with the A229 Duo
  • Bitrates Options
    • Low / Normal / High / Maximum
  • Max MicroSD Card Capacity
    • 512 GB
  • Wi-Fi Support
    • 2.4 GHz / 5 Ghz / 6 GHz
      • I do not have a 6 GHz capable device so I was not able to test data transfer speeds using a 6 GHz connection
  • Video Storage Options
    • System Settings > Video Storage
      • MicroSD Card
      • External SSD
        • The external SSD can be the primary video file storage destination
        • The external SSD can also be used as a video file backup device
        • If an external SSD drive is connected to the USB-C port, an additional drive icon is displayed in the lower right corner of the A329 screen
        • USB-C 3.x data connection is supported
        • USB-C 2.x data cable is sufficient for normal recording operations
        • Up to 4TB SSDs will be supported.
        • What I tested
          • Crucial X6 2 TB Portable SSD
            • It initially did not work due to the Crucial X6 having a GUID partition table (GPT) instead of a Master Boot Record (MBR) partition table
            • After the Crucial X6 was converted to a MBR partition table, I was able to successfully use it with the A329
          • SanDisk Extreme Pro 1 TB Portable SSD
            • This drive worked without any modifications to the drive
    • System Settings > Manage SSD Storage
      • Backup Micro-SD Card Files
        • Copies video files from the MicroSD card to the external SSD drive
        • Options
          • Previous 24 Hours
          • 7 Days
          • All
      • Delete External SSD Files
        • Deletes selected video files from the SSD file system
        • Options
          • Previous 24 Hours
          • 7 Days
          • All
    • System Settings > Video Out OSD
      • Options: Off / On [Default]
      • Sends OSD video the micro-HDMI port on the side of the A329
    • GPS Mount
      • Same GPS mount used with the A229 Pro/Plus dash cameras
    • Parking Modes
      • Auto Event Detection
      • Low Bitrate
      • Time-Lapse 1/2/3/5/10 FPS
      • Time-Lapse SNV 1 FPS
        • This is a new feature with Super Night Vision support (SNV)
        • This time-lapse 1 FPS parking mode uses less power than the other 1 FPS time-lapse parking mode
Front / Rear Camera Pictures:

a329_unbox_pics_dct0.pnga329_unbox_pics_dct1.png

Last edited:
A329 with no SSD attached (writing new video files to microSD card)
a329_operations_pics_dct01.png

A329 screen with SSD is plugged into the USB-C port
a329_operations_pics_dct02.png

A329 after SSD has been plugged in and writing video files to the SSD drive
a329_operations_pics_dct03.png

Status screen icons showing which device will have new video files written to it:
a329_operations_pics_dct26.png

HDR settings:

The Auto HDR setting of the front camera influences the rear camera options
a329_operations_pics_dct04.pnga329_operations_pics_dct05.pnga329_operations_pics_dct06.pnga329_operations_pics_dct07.png

Resolution Options:

When the front camera's HDR option is enabled, the list of resolutions will be restricted to the 30 FPS options for the front camera.

a329_operations_pics_dct08.pnga329_operations_pics_dct09.png

Last edited:
Video Storage Options

New video files can be written to the microSD card or to an externally connected SSD drive.

You can select which of the memory storage locations will receive newly created video files:

a329_operations_pics_dct10.pnga329_operations_pics_dct12.png

You can manage the videos stored on the SSD video this menu option

You can backup the video files stored on the microSD card to the SSD if you only wish to use the SSD to archive video files originally stored on the microSD card.

a329_operations_pics_dct13.pnga329_operations_pics_dct14.pnga329_operations_pics_dct15.pnga329_operations_pics_dct18.png

You can delete video files currently stored on the SSD drive using the "Delete External SSD Files" option

a329_operations_pics_dct20.png

You can send video out the micro HDMI port using this setting (I've not tested this feature yet)

a329_operations_pics_dct21.png

Last edited:
A329 2CH Power Consumption Testing

Please keep in mind that the A329 2CH dash camera I used for my testing is a pre-production/prototype unit. There may be optimizations made in the hardware or firmware (after v1.0_240830) that may impact the power consumption test results.

The A329 supports writing new video files to an external USB-C memory device (primarily a Portable SSD). The A329 must provide power to the external storage device which of course will increase the power consumption of the A329 when configured in that manner. I have two rows for each video/test configuration so I show the "microSD only" power consumption and when a portable SSD device is configured as the primary storage destination for new video files. I used a SanDisk 1TB Extreme PRO Portable SSD during my power consumption testing with a SSD connected to the A329. Since the SSD draws power from the A329, parking mode times are reduced when compared to the microSD card parking mode time estimates.

Power Consumption Test Results [click on thumbnail to see]
viofo_a329_power_consumption_20240926.png

Parking mode time estimates based on the power consumption test data [click on thumbnail to see]

1727388759928.png

One thing to note about AED parking mode when the SSD is the primary storage for the A329 is that the A329 does seem to reduce power to the SSD drive while the A329 is waiting for an impact or motion event. Since the A329 is buffering video/audio when the impact/motion event takes place, the A329 has some time to fully power up the SSD to begin writing the video to the SSD file system. Power consumption remains at motion/impact recording levels for approx 60 secs when first starting AED mode or an AED recording completes.

1727402385054.png

Last edited:
That's an impressive list of features - especially the ability to use external storage + fast data transfer rates.

The "big" questions (for me at least) - price & availability?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-26 8.07.39 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-26 8.07.39 AM.png
    687.5 KB · Views: 17
Is this a pre-production unit, or a retail version with a serial number?
Pre-production / prototype unit. VIOFO is sending me an A329 2CH unit from what's available as of late September 2024.

Do you know what is optimized?
Is the A229 Pro compatible with the A329 GPS Mount?
Back in July, I inquired about the A329 GPS mount. At that time, I was told that the A329 GPS mount was the same GPS mount as the A229 Pro/Plus GPS mount. If VIOFO has enhanced something in the production units, I have not been informed of that change/enhancement.

No Impact Only parking mode?
I've tested firmware versions up to v1.0_240830 for the A329. There was no impact only parking mode available as an option. VIOFO did add the super night vision (SNV) 1 fps time-lapse parking mode. It uses less power than the traditional 1 fps time-lapse parking mode. The SNV 1 fps time-lapse parking mode does look a bit brighter than the traditional 1 fps time-lapse parking mode.

I added some pictures to the first few posts in this thread.

@rcg530

I have several Crucial X10 and SD Extreme Pro drives I can wire into the overhead console, makes it a bit more difficult for someone to want to remove the drive. What file formats
are available for these SSD drives?

VIOFO did add the super night vision (SNV) 1 fps time-lapse parking mode.
In some firmware Viofo changed the SNV name to Night Vision and I hope to keep it in this way and not as SNV.
Night Vision is improving the image for sure. For such comparisons I always use GIF images.
A329 Parking Mode 1FPS SNV.gif

Attachments

• A329 - Parking Mode Night Vision.jpg
    A329 - Parking Mode Night Vision.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 76
  • A329 - Driving Mode.jpg
    A329 - Driving Mode.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 77
I have several Crucial X10 and SD Extreme Pro drives I can wire into the overhead console, makes it a bit more difficult for someone to want to remove the drive. What file formats
are available for these SSD drives?
When the Crucial X6 2TB drive arrived, it has a GUID partition table which ended up being incompatible with the A329. To allow it to work with the A329, the X6 partition table was converted to a MBR partition table. When the GUID partition table was present, the drive would appear to mount, but errors would appear stating the drive was full when it wasn't full and the SSD format feature in the A329 firmware would immediately succeed, but it really did not format the drive. The MBR partition table change resolved all of those issues.

This is the info from the drive now:

1727387906707.png

I added my initial power consumption test results in post 4 of this thread.

A329 2CH Power Consumption Testing

Please keep in mind that the A329 2CH dash camera I used for my testing is a pre-production/prototype unit. There may be optimizations made in the hardware or firmware (after v1.0_240830) that may impact the power consumption test results.

The A329 supports writing new video files to an external USB-C memory device (primarily a Portable SSD). The A329 must provide power to the external storage device which of course will increase the power consumption of the A329 when configured in that manner. I have two rows for each video/test configuration so I show the "microSD only" power consumption and when a portable SSD device is configured as the primary storage destination for new video files. I used a SanDisk 1TB Extreme PRO Portable SSD during my power consumption testing with a SSD connected to the A329. Since the SSD draws power from the A329, parking mode times are reduced when compared to the microSD card parking mode time estimates.

Power Consumption Test Results [click on thumbnail to see]
View attachment 74154

Parking mode time estimates based on the power consumption test data [click on thumbnail to see]

View attachment 74155
Does this mean different SSD's will have different power consumption rates / parking mode run times?
I was really hoping for Impact Only Parking Mode with sub 1 Watt power consumption.

Does this mean different SSD's will have different power consumption rates / parking mode run times?
I was really hoping for Impact Only Parking Mode with sub 1 Watt power consumption.
The Crucial X6 2TB SSD and SanDisk Extreme PRO 1TB SSD seem to draw very similar amounts of additional power from the A329. Each drive will have it's owner power consumption requirements, so will definitely impact the total power draw of the A329.

There was no impact parking mode in the latest "real" firmware I had installed of v1.0_240830. I did have a test version of v1.0_240903 installed when I took some of the pictures, but that was not a full/formal firmware release for the A329.

$64,000 Question:
1.) Is night time HDR performance 100% functional / acceptable?
2.) Is night time HDR performance better than;
A229 Pro
A139 Pro
A119 Mini 2
3.) Is 60fps HDR Off at night time a complete mess?
@TonyM
@Paul Iddon

There is quite a large difference between SSDs, you might be better off with a USB-C thumb drive, but for long parking mode the microSD card has a big advantage!

HDMI Output:
I have a feeling Viofo brought back the A/V output (HDMI) for the folks who keep asking;
“Can I use the 2.4” LCD screen on the main unit as live view backup camera with the rear camera feed?”
Or commercial applications like bus / truck drivers.
Would you be interested in testing this out?
I thought about testing it out but it would require purchasing a monitor, and a micro HDMI cable;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B089YSHMYS

Attachments

• 2 .png
    2 .png
    605.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 1 .png
    1 .png
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Back