Can not understand anything.
This is the ruler I have, everything is clear from it

Attachments

• 93-95.jpg
    93-95.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 16
Can not understand anything.
This is the ruler I have, everything is clear from it
Sorry, the links I intended to post didn't work out the way I wanted.

To calculate the AOV (Angle of View) using only a ruler see this post: (You might want to read some of the posts earlier in the thread to get some background.)

You can use this method to calculate Horizontal, Vertical or Diagonal AOV.

The posts further on in that thread are more specific to Panzer's specific test setup and were suggestions on how he could proceed going forward.

How to look at a ruler to understand degrees?
Panzer's ruler is marked in centimetres, so after reading the number he has to use a right angled triangle calculator to get the degrees.
It would be much better if it was marked in degrees like yours (y)
However your's seems to be marked in degrees x2, so I'm not convinced that yours is the best either?

However your's seems to be marked in degrees x2, so I'm not convinced that yours is the best either?
My measurements coincide with the Panzer's, in the photo there is an angle of 119 Mini and I previously tested them on many using different tables, the result is positive.

My measurements coincide with the Panzer's, in the photo there is an angle of 119 Mini and I previously tested them on many using different tables, the result is positive.
Yes, it is the result that matters, you just need to understand the ruler that you are using, and yours is the easiest to read, no need for any extra maths :)

Reactions: gse
...it was marked in degrees like yours...
Hmm, never noticed that. Just took a quick glance at the thumbnail image and assumed it was a metric ruler. :banghead:

Just took a quick glance at the thumbnail image and assumed it was a metric ruler.
@gse was kind enough to send me the PDF file of the “degree ruler” I would have liked to use it because there would be no math involved.
However, I could not get my printer to print the document to the correct scale, and I had no way to confirm & verify the measurements.
I went with a cm “yardstick” so once I had it taped to the wall I could measure it to verify it was correct.
It takes several pieces of paper to print out the “degree ruler”.

Reactions: gse
I hate to add a complication. Are any of the lens "amorphic", meaning compress more on the edges of the image. I need to back across a side walk with limited viability and I want backup camera with as wide an angle as possible.

I hate to add a complication. Are any of the lens "amorphic", meaning compress more on the edges of the image. I need to back across a side walk with limited viability and I want backup camera with as wide an angle as possible.
Yes, but most lenses are fairly similar, people don't like the ones with significantly more compression near the edges than normal because they result in very curved vertical walls.

Dashcams are not designed for use as reversing cameras, get a purpose designed camera for that job!

Back